One Year On. - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One Year On.

Outside bereavements the 19th Sept was the worst day of my life. I was born in England, my father was born in Dundee. I grew up with a mythical view of Scotland, pipe bands, White Heather Club, Jimmy Shand etc. Culture wise I felt different.

Sporting wise my dad didn't ram it down my throat but I remember watching us in '74 when none of my mates were interested. Family holidays, meeting my dad's relatives only solidified that sense of national identity irrespective of birth certificate. Over the years the myth has been battered, its a more realistic view now.

Scotland has its demons but Scotland has also been a case of stunted development for generations. I always believed there was something different about Scotland, a different set of values, something that became particularly clear during the dark days of Thatcherism when I was at Uni in Scotland. I always believed that Scotland could offer something different, something better than what I saw around me in SE England, a sense of community, a sense of fairness. The No vote tugged at my very sense of self. Is that what it meant to be a Scot to be frightened, cowardly, craven, duped - the only nation on earth that votes against independence and all the opportuities it offered to address the ills of past and present?

I would have voted SNP when I studied in Scotland but Sod's Law meant there wasn't an election. After the 18th I took the plunge and joined the SNP. I'd like to think, if family circumstances allow, that next time round I might be back in Scotland and able to cast a vote for independence. My faith in Scotland was battered by the horrors of the No vote. I felt like the Russell Crowe character in Gladiator, I had a dream that was Scotland... That is not it.

A year later we're not better together, the love bombing has been extinguished by contempt for Scotland's democratically elected representatives, there's little good feeling towards Scotland outside of family ties, its the same old sneering and patronising, too wee, too poor, too stupid. One year on I think its obvious that Scotland doesn't matter to the Etonian elite but I'm more optimistic, Scotland's will is not settled and those who dreamed of a better future have not, will no go away. I don't know when round two will begin but I do know it's a year closer now.

Great post.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside bereavements the 19th Sept was the worst day of my life. I was born in England, my father was born in Dundee. I grew up with a mythical view of Scotland, pipe bands, White Heather Club, Jimmy Shand etc. Culture wise I felt different.

Sporting wise my dad didn't ram it down my throat but I remember watching us in '74 when none of my mates were interested. Family holidays, meeting my dad's relatives only solidified that sense of national identity irrespective of birth certificate. Over the years the myth has been battered, its a more realistic view now.

Scotland has its demons but Scotland has also been a case of stunted development for generations. I always believed there was something different about Scotland, a different set of values, something that became particularly clear during the dark days of Thatcherism when I was at Uni in Scotland. I always believed that Scotland could offer something different, something better than what I saw around me in SE England, a sense of community, a sense of fairness. The No vote tugged at my very sense of self. Is that what it meant to be a Scot to be frightened, cowardly, craven, duped - the only nation on earth that votes against independence and all the opportuities it offered to address the ills of past and present?

I would have voted SNP when I studied in Scotland but Sod's Law meant there wasn't an election. After the 18th I took the plunge and joined the SNP. I'd like to think, if family circumstances allow, that next time round I might be back in Scotland and able to cast a vote for independence. My faith in Scotland was battered by the horrors of the No vote. I felt like the Russell Crowe character in Gladiator, “I had a dream that was Scotland... That is not it.”

A year later we're not better together, the love bombing has been extinguished by contempt for Scotland's democratically elected representatives, there's little good feeling towards Scotland outside of family ties, its the same old sneering and patronising, too wee, too poor, too stupid. One year on I think its obvious that Scotland doesn't matter to the Etonian elite but I'm more optimistic, Scotland's will is not settled and those who dreamed of a better future have not, will no go away. I don't know when round two will begin but I do know it's a year closer now.

A lot of good sentiments and valid points.

The bit I've highlighted summarises almost everything for me.

Edited by fringo

I would have voted SNP when I studied in Scotland but Sod's Law meant there wasn't an election. After the 18th I took the plunge and joined the SNP. I'd like to think, if family circumstances allow, that next time round I might be back in Scotland and able to cast a vote for independence. My faith in Scotland was battered by the horrors of the No vote. I felt like the Russell Crowe character in Gladiator, I had a dream that was Scotland... That is not it.

Excellent post.

Wonderful post, Herts.

A ton of us feel that way, and keep your faith, independence is a certainty.

I remember saying to my g/f on the 17th that there is a lot of us, tons of us, but there's no enough it'll be 46-54 was my prediction. I remember all the Yes signs/posters and there were many, but I mind tons and tons of empty houses - curtains drawn, the silent majority.

The 18th I went and voted with my friend. He more a 'silent yes' and I've always been more vocal. Got home and a few pals and their folks came round for what we hoped was a party. As soon as Clackmannan came in, knew it was up - we had to win there. Cheered as Dundee and Glasgow came in, but the game was a bogey and I doubt I'll ever forget hearing 9 odd thousand in Gaelic to the 10 that won it for Na h-Eileanan Iar.

The 19th came and I went for a walk. It was miserable, grey, blustry as it usually is on the east coast. There were no parties. The guy down the road with a big Yes sign in his garden had already dragged it in. I met my fellow Yesser for a pint or 20 and we talked, talked and grat before going up the road.

Something happened though. I said I was 'done with Scotland' if it was a no. Yet, that result made me even closer, I didn't want to give up or let anyone who gave their all for a Yes vote, and like many I decided to join the SNP in the early hours of the 19th.

The Monday came and dusted myself down, ready to go for it again. I'm not giving up now, and I don't think any of us are.

I'm still Yes, even more so than the 17th last year.

Great posts Herts and weekevie.

I think what really hurt last year was after being behind all the way, then ever to slowly bit by bit nudging towards parity and that electrifying poll lead, was the sheer power of the British establishment in those last few days.

to have felt like something life defining was cruelly snatched away was tough enough, that is wasnt by some big baddy like Cameron, biased media like BBC, Kelvin Mckenzie or equiv. It was us, people you see at bus stops, in supermarkets, having a pint etc.

the collective disappointment fromthe soft no 55s I found the most galling.

Felt embarrassed to be Scottish in the days after the vote, esp living overseas. Trying to tell other nationalties that seemingly currency union uncertainty trumps national sovereignty was soul destroying.

On the plus side 45% is a beach head. Next time it will be a slam dunk.

Great posts Herts and weekevie.

I think what really hurt last year was after being behind all the way, then ever to slowly bit by bit nudging towards parity and that electrifying poll lead, was the sheer power of the British establishment in those last few days.

to have felt like something life defining was cruelly snatched away was tough enough, that is wasnt by some big baddy like Cameron, biased media like BBC, Kelvin Mckenzie or equiv. It was us, people you see at bus stops, in supermarkets, having a pint etc.

the collective disappointment fromthe soft no 55s I found the most galling.

Felt embarrassed to be Scottish in the days after the vote, esp living overseas. Trying to tell other nationalties that seemingly currency union uncertainty trumps national sovereignty was soul destroying.

On the plus side 45% is a beach head. Next time it will be a slam dunk.

:ok:

It's important to for us all not to feel sorry for ourselves. Others have been through far worse. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just imagine for a wee moment, how Winnie Ewing felt from 1967 through to 1970 as the only Scots nationalist in Westminster.

She was subjected on a daily basis to a barrage of vile abuse by the so called big, brave, grown men of the Scottish Labour party - especially the likes of Willie Hamilton, Tam Dalyell and Ernie Ross. For a period of time she was even stalked on the Westminster estate by a male Scots Labour MP (who according to Ewing was still alive as of 2005).

The abuse was so bad that by her own account she could never have gotten through it without the help and support of her two friends - Gywnfor Evans who was Plaid Cymru's solitary MP at the time and Emyrs Hughes, the elderly (Welsh) Labour MP for South Ayrshire who was in a sidelined within in his own party because of his anti-war, anti-nuclear, republican, pro-Scottish & Welsh home rule beliefs.

Everyone should read this parliamentary debate from November 3rd 1969. Some things have changed, some haven't. See how low Scottish Labour could go even back then.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1969/nov/03/scotland-statistical-information#S5CV0790P0_19691103_HOC_401

One small victory of course is that Mr Hamilton and Mr Archie Manuel's respective seats in West Fife and Central Ayrshire are now in SNP hands :wave:

We have come a long way since then. We are getting there, slowly but surely. Scottish independence is coming !

Agree with a lot of the above - I personally know friends who have regretted voting "no", it's going to happen folks, I turn 50 this year and my guess is we'll be an independent nation one again before my 60th birthday !!

We'll be back to being one of the oldest nations in Europe - 843ad I think??

I would have voted SNP when I studied in Scotland but Sod's Law meant there wasn't an election. After the 18th I took the plunge and joined the SNP. I'd like to think, if family circumstances allow, that next time round I might be back in Scotland and able to cast a vote for independence. My faith in Scotland was battered by the horrors of the No vote. I felt like the Russell Crowe character in Gladiator, “I had a dream that was Scotland... That is not it.”

Superb post. The bit in bold chimes with me, in a political sense too.

Chin up folks it could be worse. A good friend of mine who is as committed a Nationalist as you could meet has his birthday today... And every year for that matter.

Thanks mate - my birthday was actually yesterday ! (the 18th) !

It's not a Yes rally. It's a Sheridan circle jerk. Fannies everywhere!

For once I'm in full solidarity with the SNP :wink2:

My bad. He just presumed it was some form of Yes rally through the flags etc.

He did also add there is a few verbals being thrown about. :(

:ok:

It's important to for us all not to feel sorry for ourselves. Others have been through far worse. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just imagine for a wee moment, how Winnie Ewing felt from 1967 through to 1970 as the only Scots nationalist in Westminster.

She was subjected on a daily basis to a barrage of vile abuse by the so called big, brave, grown men of the Scottish Labour party - especially the likes of Willie Hamilton, Tam Dalyell and Ernie Ross. For a period of time she was even stalked on the Westminster estate by a male Scots Labour MP (who according to Ewing was still alive as of 2005).

The abuse was so bad that by her own account she could never have gotten through it without the help and support of her two friends - Gywnfor Evans who was Plaid Cymru's solitary MP at the time and Emyrs Hughes, the elderly (Welsh) Labour MP for South Ayrshire who was in a sidelined within in his own party because of his anti-war, anti-nuclear, republican, pro-Scottish & Welsh home rule beliefs.

Everyone should read this parliamentary debate from November 3rd 1969. Some things have changed, some haven't. See how low Scottish Labour could go even back then.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1969/nov/03/scotland-statistical-information#S5CV0790P0_19691103_HOC_401

One small victory of course is that Mr Hamilton and Mr Archie Manuel's respective seats in West Fife and Central Ayrshire are now in SNP hands :wave:

We have come a long way since then. We are getting there, slowly but surely. Scottish independence is coming !

Great post Ersatz, thanks for that. The Hansard link made for fascinating - if uncomfortable - reading.

Going by that Winnie Ewing was treated disgustingly. The speaker ought to have insisted that Archie Manuel apologise to her; completely uncalled for comments. The Commons can still be a bit of a bear pit but MPs know they can't get away with as much as they used to.

Just an aside, but did you mean Wille Ross - the 'hammer of the nats' - rather than Ernie Ross? Willie Ross was certainly a contemporary of Winnie's but Ernie Ross was elected until 1979, after Winnie Ewing lost her seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Ross

Great post Ersatz, thanks for that. The Hansard link made for fascinating - if uncomfortable - reading.

Going by that Winnie Ewing was treated disgustingly. The speaker ought to have insisted that Archie Manuel apologise to her; completely uncalled for comments. The Commons can still be a bit of a bear pit but MPs know they can't get away with as much as they used to.

Just an aside, but did you mean Wille Ross - the 'hammer of the nats' - rather than Ernie Ross? Willie Ross was certainly a contemporary of Winnie's but Ernie Ross was elected until 1979, after Winnie Ewing lost her seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Ross

Shows to me that nothing has changed over the years in the north branch's visceral hatred of the SNP.

Jounalists being barred?

From the Press pen I believe. I imagine it would be difficult to ban them from a public square.

The most surprising thing about today is some folk are still surprised to hear that Tommy Sheridan is a horrible human being. Hearing whispers he's been reported for having illegal bucket collections today... Pleasing! What kind of cretin collects buckets?!