Unpc - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

That's why I said most people use it in an non derogatory manner without knowingly doing so. It is derived from a derogatory term and could be deemed offensive irrespective of whether the individual realised the connotations or not. The world like the term used for local convenience stores ran by Pakistani individuals should not be used. In my opinion of course. It is a fact that both terms are derived from offensive terms though.

How do you know which term was first?

I never heard the word chink growing up, only ever heard chinky for a Chinese meal, so maybe chink is a derived from chinky and not the other way round.

At the risk of sounding like minimoo, do you know who said what first?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the generation who would talk about going to the paki's or going for a chinky, because...that's what you did, I don't (didn't) regard either expression as racist but don't use either any more. I would like to know though, why Paki is bad but Aussie is fine.

Loads of nations have derogatory names for other nations inhabitants jocks paddys taffs frogs krauts

According tae Wikipedia chink originates from qing dynasty

Is it just a coincidence that these are all race references used by the English more often than not? I don't think i have ever heard a Scot refer to a German as a "Kraut" or a Frenchman as a "Frog"

It's a derogatory term for the Chinese people. It might not be used by many in a knowingly derogatory manner but it is. A derivative of the word "chink" which was used as an offence term towards the Chinese people.

Thats what i was brought up to believe and the reason i dont say it.

I am of the generation who would talk about going to the paki's or going for a chinky, because...that's what you did, I don't (didn't) regard either expression as racist but don't use either any more. I would like to know though, why Paki is bad but Aussie is fine.

I mind watching the cricket and the BBC commentators calling the Pakistan team "the Pakis".

I don't know if the offence was more that it was used as slang for anyone of south Asian origin and not just people from Pakistan?

I was in a shop run by a Pakistani in Brussels at the last qualifier and when he seen my kilt we had a wee blether and the inevitable "have you been to Scotland before" started and his reply was "I have family over there and there are many pakis in Glasgow"

The Chinese guys who ran the takeaway at my bit used to say chinky a lot. You'd see one off them on there delivery rounds after not buying one for umpteen weeks and he'd say stuff like "you've not had a chinky for a while" or you'd walk in and they'd say "did you just fancy a chinky" and passing comments like that.

Whether it's true or not but he once told me he tried to change the name to "The Chin Quays" or "Chin Keys" (sp?) but the council wouldn't allow it. I was poorless and buckled over lol

I was in a shop run by a Pakistani in Brussels at the last qualifier and when he seen my kilt we had a wee blether and the inevitable "have you been to Scotland before" started and his reply was "I have family over there and there are many pakis in Glasgow"

The Chinese guys who ran the takeaway at my bit used to say chinky a lot. You'd see one off them on there delivery rounds after not buying one for umpteen weeks and he'd say stuff like "you've not had a chinky for a while" or you'd walk in and they'd say "did you just fancy a chinky" and passing comments like that.

Whether it's true or not but he once told me he tried to change the name to "The Chin Quays" or "Chin Keys" (sp?) but the council wouldn't allow it. I was poorless and buckled over lol

Aye, some folk seem to think that being offended by proxy is the worst type of racism!

I work in wholesale, id say 70% of my customers have Pakistani origins, of that bunch, most under 40 or so use Paki to describe themselves, or make jokes using it. Including a couple who have Dundee accents, but put on terrible Apu from The Simpsons type accents for comedic affect.

I work in wholesale, id say 70% of my customers have Pakistani origins, of that bunch, most under 40 or so use Paki to describe themselves, or make jokes using it. Including a couple who have Dundee accents, but put on terrible Apu from The Simpsons type accents for comedic affect.

Out of interest, what do you base that estimate on?