Switching Energy Companies - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Switching Energy Companies

I know that most of you on the TAMB are a savvy lot, but I thought I'd briefly share my experience with my gas/electricity (dual fuel) supply, to make sure everyone shops around for the best provider.

I live in a 3 bedroom detached house and we are a family of 3. I am currently with British Gas for both gas and electricity. My current tariffs, which were the best available at the time, end next month. The best offer they could come up with was a slight increase, putting my estimated annual combined bill at around £1700.

I shopped around online and came across Sainsbury's Energy. For the same 1 year fixed tariff, same est. consumption,

monthly direct debit payments etc., they came in at around £1300. Almost £400 of a difference! You know what's crazy about this? Guess who Sainsbury's are in partnership with to supply the energy? Yup, British Gas!!!

Gas bills are due to come down around 5% next month, but I can switch to a lower tariff with either BG or Sainsbury's, for no fee, should one become available. The Sainsbury's rep that called me was even able to retrieve all of my details from the BG system.

Shop around folks. That goes for everything.

I switched to Sainsbury's energy when I moved last year and they are atrocious. You might save a bit of cash but their customer service is up there with the worst I have experienced. I spent hours on the phone to them querying things on my bills, questioning amounts that they took from my bank including double and triple payments. It took them something like 3 months to get my account set up correctly despite me phoning them on almost weekly basis to chase it up. I then had loads of problems with them when I was moving out and not taking them with me. I also ended up paying a damn sight more than the initial quote they gave me. In short I'd avoid them like the plague.

I switched to Sainsbury's energy when I moved last year and they are atrocious. You might save a bit of cash but their customer service is up there with the worst I have experienced. I spent hours on the phone to them querying things on my bills, questioning amounts that they took from my bank including double and triple payments. It took them something like 3 months to get my account set up correctly despite me phoning them on almost weekly basis to chase it up. I then had loads of problems with them when I was moving out and not taking them with me. I also ended up paying a damn sight more than the initial quote they gave me. In short I'd avoid them like the plague.

Ahhh, not a good reflection. Hopefully my experience with them will be far better. I think saving £400 is worth the risk. I will just need to keep an eye on my bills and never move!

The fact my details are effectively on the same system as before (BG) should also lessen the chances of setup issues. I will report back if they turn out to be the same shambles that you experienced.

Edited by EIFA10

Havving a mare at the moment! Just switched to the coop energy from Scottish power! Website not working, call centre understaffed, hair getting greyer by the minute. For what it's worth despite SP having a bad name for customer service their side of the switch went smoothly with any outstanding monies refunded.

Switched to First Utility (from Scottish Power) a few months ago - saving £70 per month and with a 20% bigger kWh allowance on gas/leccy - well worth a switch - most of them are dirty robbing basteds.

Edited by Topcat

Switched from bg to Scottish power for our combined saved about £40 a month but it has taken about 6 months to get our closing readings sorted. Both blaming each other wouldn't have minded if it had been just a couple of units but it was hundreds they were out by. Every time we phoned they would take the info again and eventually tell us it will be all sorted and worked out in 4 weeks which when we would check would still be the old values.

Still having on going issues trying to switch from British Gas to SSE, British Gas kept saying that I had switched and SSE, were saying they had not got the information on the national database. It took over 5 hours of phone calls, being told 3 times it was done and eventually SSE, had to phone they and tell them what the issues was and how to fix it.

It took over 6 weeks to resolve and they eventually offered 95 pound compensation, and I am in process of contacting energy ombudsman as the hassle this caused was way more than the compensation offered and I had to fight for them to even acknowledge they were to blame, and original offer was £30.

What should have taken a couple of weeks is still ongoing.

And that reminds me that I have still to receive my £50 vouchers that SSE were to send.

Bugger, just switched my mums energy to them as essentially you were getting cheaper but still earning nectar points. Was about to do the same for mine, might not now!

My deal with EDF just ended, and my savings will be around £500 a month. Sainsbury's was cheap, but GB Energy was cheaper. Ok, it's variable but there are no get out fees.

:shocked: Do you pay for the Blackpool illuminations ?! :yikes3:

Go to moneysavingexpert website and click onto energy club let them find you the best deal.

Came on to post this. well worth it.

I'm with first utility as well now. Customer service is very good so far in that it's all done electronically. They ask for meter readings every month which I quite like. Makes sure your estimated usage is correct and you don't end up under/overpaying by too much

Ps OP's bill sounds very very expensive.

Edited by Angus_Young

Has anyone switched to GB Energy Supply ? if so did you have any problems ?, apparently I can save £20 per month by switching to them but they are a fairly new company according to Money Saving Expert . I have never switched Energy Companies before so I am unsure of the problems switching may throw up .

Has anyone switched to GB Energy Supply ? if so did you have any problems ?, apparently I can save £20 per month by switching to them but they are a fairly new company according to Money Saving Expert . I have never switched Energy Companies before so I am unsure of the problems switching may throw up .

I've switched numerous times and the companies make it all very simple - you really don't have to do anything.

Not sure about GB Energy, but I'm definitely considering them, but only because they have a no-fee to end the contract.

I've switched numerous times and the companies make it all very simple - you really don't have to do anything.

Not sure about GB Energy, but I'm definitely considering them, but only because they have a no-fee to end the contract.

Thanks , the companies that are giving me the best quotes are all new and Money Saving Expert has no feedback on them .

switched to First Utility just over a year ago. Couple of months ago I did my usual trawl round the sites to find the best deal - it was First Utility again. Not had any issues with them at all

Ps OP's bill sounds very very expensive.

It all depends on how you look at it. Our consumption seems pretty high, but I put that down to my wife being at home with the little one a lot of the time and she occasionally works shifts, which means she is at home while I am work. Plus all of the gadgets and gizmos around the house and the washing machine being on almost every day it seems! Hardly an advert for saving the planet.

On average per year, we use 5450kWh of electricity and 19557kWh of gas. Government figures show:

Average cost, based on average of 3800kWh per year for electricity, by direct debit.

North of Scotland: £616

South of Scotland: £556

For 15000kWh of gas:

North of Scotland: £719

South of Scotland: £714

With those figures and how much higher our estimated usages are, a combined £1400 isn't a bad deal at all.