Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw? - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw?

bonny78

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England should win the group but theres defitnitly a draw or 2 to be had out of them. Had it not been for 2 Wilshere wonder strikes they wouldnt have beaten Slovenia a few weeks back and he rarely scores. You never know anything could happen when we play them. Strachan sounds like he has learnt massively from the 3-1 defeat in November ie about how England closed us down ridiculously well.

If you look at England's qualifying groups over the last few years, they generally have one of two games where they screw up. They do enough to qualify but it's usually not as comfortable as they would like.

Their current group is an exception as it's just about as easy a group as you can get.

For us, I think it's a bit like the last World Cup group - loads of middling teams (including us and them) at roughly the same level. We could win any game. We could lose any game.

Surprised so many see England as stick-on favourites to walk it. Generally, only England pundits think they're that good (they'll be thinking it's just another easy group like they always get). My worry is that it's like your club drawing your biggest local rivals in the cup; no feeling as good as knocking them out, no feeling as gutting as being knocked out by them.

For us, I think it's a bit like the last World Cup group - loads of middling teams (including us and them) at roughly the same level. We could win any game. We could lose any game.

Surprised so many see England as stick-on favourites to walk it. Generally, only England pundits think they're that good (they'll be thinking it's just another easy group like they always get). My worry is that it's like your club drawing your biggest local rivals in the cup; no feeling as good as knocking them out, no feeling as gutting as being knocked out by them.

They are in a similar group this time (Slovenia and Lithuania in it) and six games played and six games won. Fair to see why English people and others would think they'll walk it.

That last England game at hampden - Scotland weren't trying at all in my opinion. Strachan put the same team out in the first half that had beaten Ireland on the Friday. It was obvious he told the players just to do the minimum. Look at Broonie for example - he went missing in the middle. Although Strachan made noises about being up for it - behind the scenes they weren't. Total write off of a game - meaningless.

That last England game at hampden - Scotland weren't trying at all in my opinion. Strachan put the same team out in the first half that had beaten Ireland on the Friday. It was obvious he told the players just to do the minimum. Look at Broonie for example - he went missing in the middle. Although Strachan made noises about being up for it - behind the scenes they weren't. Total write off of a game - meaningless.

Meaningless?

If we'd won that game we could have gone to Euro2000.

You think a Scotland team took to the pitch against England and didn't try and Strachan told them to?! Wow.

I think England will get maximum points from the campaign.

2nd place is there for the taking for us.

We must aim to win this group if we're serious about qualifying.

2nd place doesn't guarantee you a play-off for a start. And if we do get in them, assuming we'll be unseeded, means pretty much a 50/50 chance of meeting Netherlands / France / Spain / Italy. Not good odds there....

You could argue we've met England before in a qualifier for the World Cup finals. If we'd beaten them in 1950 we would have qualified for Brazil, in fact the SFA in their wisdom decided that we would not travel despite "qualifying" by achieving second place in the Home Internationals...

i think we should hack England. if the game is beyond us then we start haffing england players all over the pitch. Bring back Christian Dailly for this game if need be.

ping pow ping ping

Probably best that you should go back to bed for a couple of hours. I think you are still tired and emotional after the weekend.

I wouldn't say they weren't trying, I reckon they'd put everything into the game on Friday night.

i think we should hack England. if the game is beyond us then we start haffing england players all over the pitch. Bring back Christian Dailly for this game if need be.

ping pow ping ping

I seriously doubt your credentials as a Scotland fan at times. I mean for months you have spammed the board with how you want England as they are crap and now that we have drawn them you are adamant they will win the group. Therefore why weren't you hoping we'd draw a top seed we could beat to enhance our qualification hopes such as Wales or Romania?