Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw? - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw?

bonny78

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking...this could be shitey. We might have to cheer England on at some point if we need them to beat someone for us. Last time that happened didn't end too well for us.

I was happy to cheer on england at Euro 96 and to be fair they did the business unlike us..... We should have thrown men forward to get another but broon wanted to make safe what we had.... And most English guys I knew wanted us to go through ahead of the dutch.

England always get an easy group so let's make this wan hard fur

them.but these games ur o,er a year away we've got mair pressin engagements tae think aboot

Edited by bonzo

Could have been worse. It won't be easy but we ought to capable of beating Lithuania and Malta home and away, as well as taking four points from Slovakia and Slovenia.

It is a shame we drew England though. Aside from the sideshow that will accompany our games against them, in recent years they have breezed through the qualifiers. Their squad is young and improving and I can see them beating us home and away. A lot of our better players are ageing. Hopefully some of our promising younger players - like Stuart Armstrong, James Forrest, Ryan Gauld, Tony Watt - can make the step up.

Edited by scotlad

Pretty remarkable that it's taken til 2018 to draw England in a qualifying group.

Slovakia another first for us, not too many left unplayed now...

Andorra, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Albania, Kazakhstan and Montenegro will be the only UEFA teams left for us to play after we play Slovakia.

Meant to be a bunch of football fans on here yet some still believe we'll spank Slovakia because it's a perceived 'eastern european diddy country'.

we wont spank them but we can beat them at home and draw away which will do fine

Meant to be a bunch of football fans on here yet some still believe we'll spank Slovakia because it's a perceived 'eastern european diddy country'.

Agreed that's a tough trip. We've actually played a couple of qualifiers in Bratislava before (v Czechoslovakia) and lost both.

I am not saying we'll spank Slovakia but are they any better than Croatia? In our last campaign we beat Croatia home and away and that is the positive mindset we have to take into these kind of matches. Besides it could have been worse in that we could have had France or Italy from the second seeds.

Aye, if we had made Pot2 and pulled Slovakia from Pot3 we wouldn't have been too disappointed...

Exactly so lets not go making mountains out of molehills (not you Toepoke but others).

The way I see it is that England will be ruthless against the other teams in the group so that can surely only help us. Their strength is in qualifying but like Ian Rush pointed out their problems come in finals. I see England beating most teams in our group soundly so as long as we take care of our side of the fixtures then a play-off spot is a real possibility. Agreed I'd sooner have done without all the crap that goes with England/Scotland fixture but I'd sooner take them than Holland, Germany and Spain so beggars can't be choosers.

Slovakia 6 wins out of 6 in Euro qualifying.

With wins over Spain and Ukraine.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Away wins in Ukraine, Belarus and macedonia. There are no mugs. They are in pot 2 on merit. I'm with you, this might not be as easy as some folk seen to be thinking.

Away wins in Ukraine, Belarus and macedonia. There are no mugs. They are in pot 2 on merit. I'm with you, this might not be as easy as some folk seen to be thinking.

I don't think anyone has said it will be easy. It's simply a better team for us than France or Italy would have been.

I haven't seen anyone saying it would be easy. Heck no groups are easy for us now hence we haven't qualified since 1998 but give me England over Germany, Spain and Holland (from Pot 1) and Slovakia over Italy, France and Czech Republic (from Pot 2). From Pot 4 we could have got Norway, Ireland, Montenegro or Turkey but I am glad we got Slovenia. Also from Pot 6 we avoided Georgia, Kazakhstan and Luxembourg so lets not go complaining or moaning about the draw we got.