Another Gun Massacre In The U.s. - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Gun Massacre In The U.s.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really the guy thinks the war was about civil rights as opposed to tax rates. Just like the racist murderer who shot everyone.

I think you've massively oversimplified his views there. I read how s underlying theme as being that wars and law changes don't necessarily change a society and its behaviours.

A one sentence rebuttal of a specific historical statement in his arguments is indeed massively oversimplifying a whole Q&A, well done for noticing :wink2:

If he thinks wars don't change societies then that's another thing i disagree on.

He wants to ban the confederate flag to change society as well though.

Aye fair enough, but I didn't take the civil war to be a big feature of the article so thought it was a slightly odd thing to focus on.

I took the article more to be him talking about how the civil war didn't get rid of the cultural problems around race, neither did the civil rights movement, neither has a black president, and plenty of other things that haven't. I'd agree it was a well thought out piece tbh.

Not really the guy thinks the war was about civil rights as opposed to tax rates. Just like the racist murderer who shot everyone.

Ive re read it & i cant see where he says this ?

I took the article more to be him talking about how the civil war didn't get rid of the cultural problems around race, neither did the civil rights movement, neither has a black president, and plenty of other things that haven't. I'd agree it was a well thought out piece tbh.

Me too

• 3 months later...

I just heard that he said America needs to wake up and someone should change gun laws......

Isn't that his job?

It's not like the UK where the prime minister - assuming a two party state - controls the House of Commons and can pretty much get whatever he wants passed. Any gun control legislation would have to go through Congress which currently is controlled by the Republicans. This and the federal system means that the reality is that POTUS has very limited power on domestic issues.

There is a wee stats table on fb showing how many mass shootings every day this year up to about September. Its something insane like 245 mass shootings in 238 days. absolutely insane. Im on the work computer just now but will see if I can post it later.

Another stat I read today is that the USA has 4.4% of the world's population and own 43% of the world's civilian owned firearms. It has the highest per capita rate of shootings in the developed world. Stats also show that states with tougher gun control laws have fewer shootings.....no shit.