The Big, Big Debate - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Big, Big Debate

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recall reading an article about ww1 where indian troops were used as horse holders for cavalry as weren't trusted in action at that time

The Indian Corps in France

In August 1914, as the German Army advanced through France and Belgium, more Allied troops were desperately needed for the Western Front. The Indian Army, 161,000 strong, seemed an obvious source of trained men, and the Lahore and Meerut infantry divisions were selected for service in Europe. In October, shortly after they arrived, they were fed piecemeal into some of the fiercest fighting around Ypres. Losses were heavy. The average Indian battalion had 764 men when it landed; by early November the 47th Sikhs had only 385 men fit for duty. The fighting came as a shock to soldiers more used to colonial warfare. One man wrote home 'this is not war; it is the ending of the world'.

The troops were taken out of the line and rested in early 1915, but were soon back in the trenches and involved in the heaviest fighting. The Indian Corps provided half the attacking force at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle in March, and the Lahore Division was thrown into the counter-attack at the Second Battle of Ypres in April. Morale seemed to pick up in the spring of 1915, only to decline towards the end of the summer when it became clear that an end to the war was not in sight. The Indians again took heavy losses at the Battle of Loos in September.

The Indian Corps provided half the attacking force at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle...

The two Indian infantry divisions were withdrawn from France in December 1915, and sent to Mesopotamia. Arguably they were moved because their morale was fragile, and it was thought unwise to expose them to another winter on the Western Front. But it also made strategic sense to concentrate the Indian Army in the Middle East, where it was easier to send reinforcements and supplies from India. Two Indian cavalry divisions remained on the Western Front until March 1918, when they were transferred to Palestine to take part in the offensive against the Turks.

I didn't realise this, and I assume a lot of this wasn't really taught in schools, and of course, when we talk about the war we tend to focus on the British contribution. Interesting stuff though! Maybe I should forward to George??

TT

Just spoken wi wee Einstein doon the road:

Edited is nae the word. When they went in, Yes was so prelavent, they had to tell some to move to undecided.

The wee man said the coverage was farcical, and a new age has grown up to see the state broadcaster for what it is.

Grand.

I heard this morning something similar. The BBC had asked YES voters to sit in the undecided/no side to fill up the seats.

I also heard there was a poll and the vast majority was for YES, but the bbc decided to keep it under wraps.

Anyone else heard this?

I heard this morning something similar. The BBC had asked YES voters to sit in the undecided/no side to fill up the seats.

I also heard there was a poll and the vast majority was for YES, but the bbc decided to keep it under wraps.

Anyone else heard this?

Very noticeable that audience on right hand side sat on their hands most of the time while left hand side were giving it welly - take the BBC "converts" were on the right?

Anyone else heard this?

Yes, 100% confirmed.

Is there a link to a story on this anywhere?

Edited by exile

Just watched The Big Big Debate. Anyone who thought 16 and 17 year olds didn't deserve a vote must feel a bit silly after seeing that!

Moi,but I changed my mind within a few hours of posting those views on the TAMB many, many moons ago,

Very impressed by them and they put many (and I mean many) adults to shame.

I love the fact that we have a generation of 16 - 18 year olds (and younger) who are experiencing this moment of grassroot politics, learning about spin from both sides and being made to think about where they want their country in the world.

They will think the norm is at election time, you go to town halls, you make an effort to listen to debates, you read up on subjects and you take time to make a decision, not simply based upon who your dad , grandad voted for. Most of all they will be learning that anyone can make a stand and hold your politicians to account, they are not above us.

I love the fact that we have a generation of 16 - 18 year olds (and younger) who are experiencing this moment of grassroot politics, learning about spin from both sides and being made to think about where they want their country in the world.

They will think the norm is at election time, you go to town halls, you make an effort to listen to debates, you read up on subjects and you take time to make a decision, not simply based upon who your dad , grandad voted for. Most of all they will be learning that anyone can make a stand and hold your politicians to account, they are not above us.

Totally agree and think it's brilliant, as has been the debate across all ages for the first time in my adult lifetime.