Carmichael Admits Sturgeon Memo Leak - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Carmichael Admits Sturgeon Memo Leak

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, indieGoGo fund at £40k. Looks like sufficient funds will be raised in time to mount a legal challenge against this shameful man (Carmichael not Blatter that is).

Any lawyers oot there doin a two for one deal?

This just becomes more and more sinister. Usually an MP or minister lying would be hounded by the media. Its blatantly obvious that a deliberate cover up is going on - why are the other political parties not jumping on this as well. Its a complete cover up throughout the unionist establishment.

If this case gets to court, I hope they call Mundell as a witness and ask him what he knew. That would really put him in a spot.

I think it's unlikely to go to court, or are at least not as far as having people in the dock.

The facts of the case are clear and undisputed. Carmichael was involved in leaking the memo and subsequently lied about it. What is less clear is whether this has broken electoral law or not.

I think it's unlikely to go to court, or are at least not as far as having people in the dock.

The facts of the case are clear and undisputed. Carmichael was involved in leaking the memo and subsequently lied about it. What is less clear is whether this has broken electoral law or not.

I think he can argue that he believed it was true and that seems to get you off the hook? - well actually maybe he can't since he said he hadn't read it before the leak :unsure:

This just becomes more and more sinister. Usually an MP or minister lying would be hounded by the media. Its blatantly obvious that a deliberate cover up is going on - why are the other political parties not jumping on this as well. Its a complete cover up throughout the unionist establishment.

Lead item on both STV news and Reporting Scotland tonight and on BBC news at six as well. Been extensive coverage in Scottish papers and the press all week. If Carmichael isn't being door stepped by the media it's because he's bunkered down in Orkney.

The Tories aren't making anything of it because they want to distance themselves as far away from it as possible to avoid any collateral damage as far as Mundell is concerned, personally I suspect he knew about the memo - you would expect him to as a Scottish Office Minister - wasn't involved in the leak or had any knowledge in advance but knew who'd done it when it came out, as in, it could only have been Carmichael or me and it wasn't me.

There's embarrassment here for Labour as they were all over the story when it first broke and were made to look pretty stupid when the story unravelled so they are probably keeping out of it to avoid that being dragged up. However, even if they wanted to make a point here, they are so Donald--ducked right now that they couldn't get on top of this anyway. Who's going to lead the charge, Jackie Baillie?

Neither of these parties would be looking forwards to an early by-election that they would have no chance of winning and which would potentially be another SNP victory. it is the SNP and not the LibDems that they are concerned about so why would they get involved in a course of action that would make the SNP look even better.

No big Better Together conspiracy, just standard politics.

I think he can argue that he believed it was true and that seems to get you off the hook? - well actually maybe he can't since he said he hadn't read it before the leak :unsure:

It's not the leak that's the issue, it's subsequently lying about it.

I think he can argue that Sturgeon was not an 'opponent' as she was not standing in the election.

That may well be the nub of the case although I've also read that there is some convoluted argument about Carmichael misrepresenting himself by lying. Edited by aaid

As far as the media are concerned - I'm just going on what I see in England. Only a wee snippet towards the end of BBC news from James Cook and nothing from ITN. Been same all week.

It's seen as a Scottish - rather than a UK - story.

It's not the leak that's the issue, it's subsequently lying about it.

Yeah I know but the bit I read wouldn't cover this - can't remember where I saw the relevant wording now.

I doubt if this'll work (although I've contributed). Carmichael's protected by 3 things.....a personal vote in a remote, 'intimate' part of the country, loopholes and exceptions in both parliamentary law and in the court of law, and a compliant media who see any attack on the SNP as justified.

Tbh, I don't really care. If he carries on he'll simply be a reminder of the permanent stench of Unionist lies.

I think he's more useful in that capacity than falling in his sword,

Tbh, I don't really care. If he carries on he'll simply be a reminder of the permanent stench of Unionist lies.

I think he's more useful in that capacity than falling in his sword,

This. He's actually worth more to the YES campaign / SNP by remaining in post. He can hardly accuse anyone of anything because he knows what will be thrown back at him. He'll be a lame duck MP.

If the pressure mounts and he does go, I foresee a targeted anti-SNP campaign at the by-election. Result: same as what we have, but with a new face who'd not tainted by this saga.

It's not like the SNP need a 57th seat.

D. Bateman summed him up - boorish thug. If that's the best thug they can throw at us, God help them.

I attended a debate at which he was speaking. Boorish thug just about sums him up. Mike Russell demolished him. I asked him what his plan B was for the pound when Scotland's resources no longer underpinned it - he was speechless.