Life After Football - Article - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Life After Football - Article

Decent article on what footballers have done after hanging up their boots:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/24/they-think-its-all-over-ex-footballers-life-after-final-whistle-premier-league

There was a TAMB thread on a similar topic a while back.

Got me thinking:

I've been in an Aberdeen taxi driven by Dave Smith (ex Rangers and part of their 1972 ECWC winning side).

Dickie Ewen (ex Aberdeen 1950s) was a modern studies teacher at our school, Harlaw Academy.

On a related note, George Mutch (who I sadly never met) used to live a few doors down from me in Aberdeen when I got my first flat in the 1990s. He scored the winning goal for Preston v Huddersfield in the 1938 FA Cup Final (alongside another 6 Scots, including Bill Shankly and Andy Beattie, the Scotland team's first manager) just 3 weeks after playing for Scotland at Wembley for his first and only cap - another 1-0 win. A quiet month for him then.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/international-football-england-v-scotland-at-wembl

I think he would have had a tale or two...

Edited by neilser

Willie Pettigrew was working in Asda in Hamilton a few years ago.

George Mcluskey used to drive taxis, would imagine he still does?

Harry Hood has a few pubs, function rooms and hotels in Lanarkshire, and appears to be pretty successful.

On a related note, George Mutch (who I sadly never met) used to live a few doors down from me in Aberdeen when I got my first flat in the 1990s. He scored the winning goal for Preston v Huddersfield in the 1938 FA Cup Final

It was never a penalty in a million years. Outside the box & our lad got the ball anyway. We wuz robbed. :-))

Willie Pettigrew was working in Asda in Hamilton a few years ago.

George Mcluskey used to drive taxis, would imagine he still does?

Harry Hood has a few pubs, function rooms and hotels in Lanarkshire, and appears to be pretty successful.

VERY!!

Big Softie had a driving school in Stirling did he not?

Shaun Teale has a few pubs in the Midlands I think.

Willie Kinniburgh is a Polis.

Gerry Britton is a lawyer.

Decent article on what footballers have done after hanging up their boots:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/24/they-think-its-all-over-ex-footballers-life-after-final-whistle-premier-league

There was a TAMB thread on a similar topic a while back.

Got me thinking:

I've been in an Aberdeen taxi driven by Dave Smith (ex Rangers and part of their 1972 ECWC winning side).

Dickie Ewen (ex Aberdeen 1950s) was a modern studies teacher at our school, Harlaw Academy.

On a related note, George Mutch (who I sadly never met) used to live a few doors down from me in Aberdeen when I got my first flat in the 1990s. He scored the winning goal for Preston v Huddersfield in the 1938 FA Cup Final (alongside another 6 Scots, including Bill Shankly and Andy Beattie, the Scotland team's first manager) just 3 weeks after playing for Scotland at Wembley for his first and only cap - another 1-0 win. A quiet month for him then.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/international-football-england-v-scotland-at-wembl

I think he would have had a tale or two...

Me too - used to be a white Granada? Decent lad. Guessing he will have retired now...

Fergus Tiernan is a firey.

John Hewitt is a recruitment consultant.

Chris Clark works for a tool rental co.

Darren Mackie has just been made redundant from a valve co.

Me too - used to be a white Granada? Decent lad. Guessing he will have retired now...

Fergus Tiernan is a firey.

John Hewitt is a recruitment consultant.

Darren Mackie has just been made redundant from a valve co.

Graham Bain, also now in the fire brigade

Joe Tortolano - Sparky

Fairbairn - correct about Darren Jackson. Packed in the agent stuff in 2013

The most infuriating player we've ever had. Would get in a great position outwide and hit the first man with every cross. You got the impression that he thought that getting a corner out of any situation was a good result.

The most infuriating player we've ever had. Would get in a great position outwide and hit the first man with every cross. You got the impression that he thought that getting a corner out of any situation was a good result.

You've just described Gregg Wylde!

Spot on, plus he'd bottle out of many shooting opportunities yet showed fleetingly he had a decent dig on him. Career went downhill after he left (first time) and any ability he had went by time he returned.