Jack Harper Exclusion - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Harper Exclusion

Paulo2576

Considering the adverse publicity not just here but in other countries and the reaction of the fans the SFA should be unhappy.

Exactly.

Over & above the stupid fans like us know know nothing because we've never seen him play (apparently), there are lots of others who are totally bewildered.

The SFA have to come out & make it clear this isn't the general view. Ideally, Sbragia will be thanked for his time & replaced with someone with a half decent understanding of the modern game.

Neither will happen, of course.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very glad to hear it. now lets have some action.

That much I wouldn't expect, without sustained fan pressure.

Tweet the SFA letting them know you aren't happy – sing about it, whatever, and you might get action. They'll likely only do something if they think they'll lose prestige and money. The press have done their part for the former – need to put the fear into them about the latter.

Exactly.

Over & above the stupid fans like us know know nothing because we've never seen him play (apparently), there are lots of others who are totally bewildered.

The SFA have to come out & make it clear this isn't the general view. Ideally, Sbragia will be thanked for his time & replaced with someone with a half decent understanding of the modern game.

Neither will happen, of course.

This is a perfect opportunity for the SFA to show that they do listen to the fans and are taking our youth football away from this prehistoric thinking.

Major brownie points up for grabs for the SFA.

Could someone please tell Ricky Sbragia that his job is to bring on the talented youngsters we have (which Jack Harper obviously is) and less about getting results at under 19 level. Yes we want the boys to have that winning mentality at young age but the overall goal is success for the next generation of the national team.

Can you just imagine the conversation between Jack and Zinedine Zidane when they talk about him still turning up for training during the International break ?? Maybe Jack will ask ZZ if instead of harnessing his skills as a playmaker he can lift more weights so he can bulk up and play for Scotland one day. It is just a truly farcical decision.

Also the quote from Sbragia about wanting to go the aerial route in the upcoming under 19 game...... :wtf:

So why is Strachan singing from the same hymn sheet as Sgrabia on this ? You would think he would have come out with something more positive. He must have been party to discussions regarding who is going to be in the various squads.

Jep ,disturbing.No kick n rush please.

So why is Strachan singing from the same hymn sheet as Sgrabia on this ? You would think he would have come out with something more positive. He must have been party to discussions regarding who is going to be in the various squads.

i'm sure he will deny it but he must surely be reported to by the coaches otherwise who are they accountable to, mclair ? i don't believe this i just let them get on with it nonsense

Tbh I think he was mostly just trying to avoid getting into a conversation about it given that it'd distract from the game tonight and the upcoming qualifier. I'm sure he'll comment behind closed doors after the weekend. He's not going to be happy with it i'm sure, but it would be unprofessional to slate Sbragia publicly even if we didn't have a game tonight.

Have just seen this thread and i am gobsmacked by Sbragias comments, Just when it looks like there is a bit of progress for the national team, Sbragias wants to send us back to the dark ages. I fear for the future of scottish football with guys like Sbragias in charge.

That's worth quoting!

But he hasn’t seen him play a lot. The obvious question is WHY not? It’s not that difficult to fly out to Madrid, it’s not that difficult to see him play.

Then obviously what he says about the way Jack plays implies that he has seen him play and just doesn’t like that style of football.

Genuine question – if he hasn’t seen Jack play, does he know what Jack’s best position is? Does he know where he performs best? Does he know how to use him?

That’s one element. The other element that I think is really striking – he’s talking about a 19-year-old kid.

You’ve got a key role at the SFA, you’re helping to develop players, you’re looking at someone who, in theory at least, will be an important player in the future, who’s still developing, who’s 19.

I just can’t get into my head that an experienced coach would publicly say something so critical about a 19-year-old.

That kind of thing could damage a kid’s development. It also concerns me that in speaking out, as well as raising questions about the kind of football that the Scottish youth set up is trying to develop and encourage, he may present a false impression of Jack. He’s professional, hard-working and committed; I don’t think he is a “luxury” at all.

Jack plays behind the striker in a 4-4-2, which is more of a 4-2-3-1 so he plays at the centre of a line of three behind the striker.

He has quite a lot of freedom of movement so you’ll see him come a little bit deeper to receive the ball and play with others.

But depending on the nature of the opposition, youl’ll also see him, when denied the space behind the forward, he’ll play as a striker.

He scores a reasonable amount of goals, his finishing is nice and clean, he’s left-footed which always makes a player stand out.

He’s smooth in possession and very clever.

He’s not a number 10, he’s not a Lionel Messi, David Silva or Juan Mata, he’s got more physical presence than that.

I have very little doubt that Jack will make it. I think he’ll be a very good player. I don’t know if he’ll make it at Real Madrid because the demands are gigantic and the kind of players he has in front of them are extraordinary, but he is the kind of talent that should be nurtured and encouraged.

Isn't this how we lost James McCarthy too?

The difference is that James McCarthy wasn't a huge loss. Whereas Harper is a guy that is playing regularly in his age group for arguably the greatest side ever in World football.

The difference is that James McCarthy wasn't a huge loss. Whereas Harper is a guy that is playing regularly in his age group for arguably the greatest side ever in World football.

Think one of the reasons we lost McCarthy was because Archie Knox had the classic Old Firm mind-set of "Hamilton Accies, who the feck are they ?"

I think it's safe to say we will all be breathing fire if we lose Harper to Spain.

The SFA must make an example to future coaches and sack Sbragia now. We must eliminate these old fossils immediately. Be ruthless.

Stick with Scotland Jack lad :ok:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

He was also 16 and spat the dummy at not being picked.

Didn't think McCarthy had anything to do with spitting the dummy.

He was offered a call up by Ireland right after his Irish grandfather had died.

To me it seems like it was quite an emotional decision, not really comparable to Harper at all.

Good to see that Kevin Gallacher has spoke up for Harper and criticised Sbragia's attitudes.

Craig Brown's comments show that he clearly knows nothing about Jack Harper and has assumed he's just part of a kickabout training squad at Madrid which as we all know is completely untrue. I'd also bet a tenner that Brown think's Ryan Gauld made a mistake going to Portugal and not to some dead end English Championship side.