Matt Ritchie - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matt Ritchie

kmcca5

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was interviewed on sky today and asked if he had ever been to Scotland and said no. His family are Scottish but have always come south to visit his grandparents. He appeared to be proud if a little shocked by his call up.

I wish him all the best and sure he won't let us down.

Agreed.

This sticker?me3HGtY3hiwLdHv4zXgR5UA.jpg

Lol oops typo there sent striker

I used to be hard over on this, however since having my two boys who are half English, I can see how you can be both.

I would be gutted if any of my lads chose England over Scotland, but that's up to me as a Dad to lay the foundations for them. I'm taking my eldest to his first Scotland game in a couple of weeks, he can hang out with some of his wider family. All part of the education.

I have come to the conclusion that they can support Scotland and England. The two are not mutually exclusive. I used to think they were but now I'm not so sure.

Obviously when Scotland play England they have to choose. I'm pleased to report that my 6 year old was supporting Scotland in the rugby on Saturday.

J

Same issue I will have first is due at the start of may and I now live down south with an English partner. We have a good bit of banter about our boy being brought up to support England or Scotland but at the end of the day it will be down to them once they are older

I used to be hard over on this, however since having my two boys who are half English, I can see how you can be both.

I would be gutted if any of my lads chose England over Scotland, but that's up to me as a Dad to lay the foundations for them. I'm taking my eldest to his first Scotland game in a couple of weeks, he can hang out with some of his wider family. All part of the education.

I have come to the conclusion that they can support Scotland and England. The two are not mutually exclusive. I used to think they were but now I'm not so sure.

Obviously when Scotland play England they have to choose. I'm pleased to report that my 6 year old was supporting Scotland in the rugby on Saturday.

J

Good post. I think the key thing here is that everyone is different. Just because someone doesn't understand a situation like yours, doesn't make it wrong.

My step dad is a bit like that. He is English but very much considers himself to have a bit of both in him. He has followed them to two world cups but that doesn't stop him coming to Scotland games and roaring us on.

He will support England over Scotland but even at that it's half hearted. My brother said he leapt out of his seat cheering Millers goal at Wembley :-)) The fact he has lived here for 40 years probably has something to do with it.

Have to say he has most definitely influenced myself and my brother in our attitudes towards England over the years. I make no apologies for saying I want them to win when we aren't playing them, I know that won't sit well with a lot on here but that's just the way it is for us.

He was interviewed on sky today and asked if he had ever been to Scotland and said no. His family are Scottish but have always come south to visit his grandparents. He appeared to be proud if a little shocked by his call up.

I wish him all the best and sure he won't let us down.

Said his grandfather moved to portsmouth with his father for the navy and settled in the area, so never really had the chance to visit scotland. Edited by wanderer

Re. Ikechi Anya: those who witnessed him play for Cadiz away to Orihuela a couple of days after the last match in Spain can vouch for him. When he saw the Saltire one of us had brought, he shouted over, "I'm Scottish too; I was born in Glasgow".

Re. Matt Ritchie: as a Southampton fan, I'm more worried he was born in Gosport; effectively Portsmouth.

Re. Ikechi Anya: those who witnessed him play for Cadiz away to Orihuela a couple of days after the last match in Spain can vouch for him. When he saw the Saltire one of us had brought, he shouted over, "I'm Scottish too; I was born in Glasgow".

Re. Matt Ritchie: as a Southampton fan, I'm more worried he was born in Gosport; effectively Portsmouth.

Fair play but i'm starting to think "Rules ar rules". OK, yer granny once visited edinburgh might be dodgy but a guy with Scottish parents and grandparents has ever right to play for us, no?

A fine system up to a point. However, look at Lorenzo Amaruso. Moved to Scotland well into his career and grew to love the country and really wanted to play for us so if he had had dual nationality it would never have happened with your system. Or what if a player like Ritchie came along whose nationality feelings change over the course of a few years like he moves to Scotland and plays here for a few years, marries a Scottish woman and his national tendencies change - it really can happen.

You've completely missed the point. You can't "change" your nationality when it comes to football, or at least you shouldn't be able to. You should declare at an early age and then that's it. Your example of Amoruso is exactly the type of situation it would eradicate.

How would it be good for his wallet? He's not a contract you know. He'll get no wages playing for us.

Depends, for any future contract negotiations he can now say he is a "international footballer" so can use it to demand higher wages.....

Complete embarrassment as usual. I hope he picks up a knock in training and can't play. He's never been to scotland? My, my what must mackay Steven must be thinking.

And he hasn't 'chosen' scotland. If had a choice he'd play for our arch enemies.

its a joke isnt it.

My opinion of gs lessens with every one of these players he selects at the expense of a player who is Scottish. I don't believe in winning at all costs.

You are obviously not German then. I wonder how many World Cups they have won with that attitude? And yes they have called up players with tenuous links to Germany as well.