Latest Poll - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eh?

Does that mean "20 year old woman" = "collie dug" in your line of thinking?

No. Just like the figurative collie dugs in the Labour ranks weren't.

The point was if Mhairi Black can defeat Alexander then he would've lost to absolutely anybody standing for the SNP...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point was if Mhairi Black can defeat Alexander then he would've lost to absolutely anybody standing for the SNP...

I wasn't sure if you were having a go at her because she is 20 or because she is a woman. She might turn out to be a very good candidate. Would you have made the same comment if Angus Robertson was standing against Alexander?

Would you have made the same comment if Angus Robertson was standing against Alexander?

No I wouldn't have which was the point. Are swithering voters going to choose to be represented by an experienced politician or someone just out their teens who is still going through their education? If the answer is the latter I would say the SNP were going to take the seat no matter who was selected...

That's not my line of thinking.

Perhaps if there were a middle-aged man in a suite standing against Alexander, there wouldn't be the same "glee" in getting Alexander out for the constituents.

Perhaps, it's because she's a very young woman, that it might encourage people to vote SNP to get it right up Alexander.

Perhaps not.

Perhaps if there were a middle-aged man in a suite standing against Alexander, there wouldn't be the same "glee" in getting Alexander out for the constituents.

Perhaps, it's because she's a very young woman, that it might encourage people to vote SNP to get it right up Alexander.

Perhaps not.

I think the reality is that as much as a pro-SNP, pro-indy person may have a strong dislike of Alexander, a casual observer or someone not of the previously described persuasion is unlikely to be suitably offended by him. Furthermore, the alternative option of a 20 year old student who has been easily smeared in the media is not the most appealing.

I can't help think that the SNP have made a bit of an error in my old home town with this one.

I think the reality is that as much as a pro-SNP, pro-indy person may have a strong dislike of Alexander, a casual observer or someone not of the previously described persuasion is unlikely to be suitably offended by him. Furthermore, the alternative option of a 20 year old student who has been easily smeared in the media is not the most appealing.

I can't help think that the SNP have made a bit of an error in my old home town with this one.

That's also a point of view.

Perhaps not.

Would that be the full settee and 2 armchair job?

Battleground Britain: Labour 'cannon fodder' desert to SNP in Glasgow East

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/23/labour-cannon-fodder-desert-to-snp-in-glasgow-east-general-election

Includes a quote from someone who doesn't want full independence but who is minded to vote SNP

(As usual, beware the don't knows, don't turn ups and 'silent majority'!)

i think it was a monkey in a rossette as opposed to collie dug, or that was how it was where i am, maybe that caused confusion, either way it's a metaphor for folk are voting the party not the candidate.

I thought the standard rosette-wearing unit was the 'cabbage' - or maybe that's a lanarkshire thing

Just my opinion.I think we are being led into a false sense of security by these polls. I can see the SNP winning maybe 30 seats which will be a big achievement.Anything less will be reported by the press as an SNP failure which we know it wont be.

Definitely don't believe 50+ seats. Fully expect 20 to 30 at best after postal votes get counted to help Labour "surge" to a bigger number of seats than these polls are showing.

If it were one or two pollsters showing a huge SNP lead I'd be very suspicious about attempts to elevate the SNP ahead of a (relative) general election crash, with a view to resuscitating Scottish Labour ahead of 2016 which is really going to be their first chance of clawing something (it's hard to see the SNP doing any better than 2011 in 2016).

But for all pollsters to be showing such a stable SNP lead suggests it's real. Would be almost impossible to fix such widespread polling. Worth remembering too that the pollsters were pretty bang on in September.

Where the SNP will eventually drop back is exactly same thing that's inflating their polling just now: FPTP. All it needs is about 5% swing for the result to look dramatically different and I think it's highly likely we'll see some wobble in the SNP vote in the last weeks of the campaign.

Unless Labour come up with an absolute game changer in their manifesto, Auld Reekie, then I cannot see why the nationalist vote would wobble. People are seeing through the same old tired rhetoric that the unionist parties are coming out with. They are offering nothing of substance and are reverting to the fear tactics they used throughout the referendum.

Will not take anything for granted but as long as we are not complacent then this, as you say, is real. Instead of reacting to the negative attacks of the unionists I wish we would cement our position in as to what we will demand in the event of a hung parliament, for example.

The fear of an Independent Scotland that they used in the referendum will be changed to fear of another Tory government - we have already seen this but not to the same scale as it will be in the next 6 weeks

The problem for them is that the Tory's are already using the SNP to scare England into voting for them

It's possible that polls showing a definite Tory lead & possible victory (whether real or not) could be the gamechanger

Personally i think the polls are lying and the Tories will get a landslide in England

Edited by Ally Bongo

The fear of an Independent Scotland that they used in the referendum will be changed to fear of another Tory government - we have already seen this but not to the same scale as it will be in the next 6 weeks

The problem for them is that the Tory's are already using the SNP to scare England into voting for them

It's possible that polls showing a definite Tory lead & possible victory (whether real or not) could be the gamechanger

Personally i think the polls are lying and the Tories will get a landslide in England

I also think the Tories will win. Not a landslide but I think they will get a small overall majority. But whoever is leader will find it almost impossible to maintain party unity when it comes to deciding what to do about the EU.