Latest Poll - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron, after unveiling Mahatma Gandhi's statue in Westminster today, described him as:

'"The man who turned the politically unimaginable into the politically inevitable'.

Just as well he wasn't Scottish though Dave, or you wouldn't be quite so effusiive in your praise...

Neilser - you couldn't hold a blow torch to Cameron's neck. Praising the likes of Gandhi and Mandela for the work that they did in freeing their respective peoples, yet shows nothing but contempt for the Scottish people if we dare to show even the remotest hint of self-determination.

Cameron is a politician - what do you expect him to say? Scottish independence is politically inevitable - he might well realize that, but he's not going to come out and trumpet it to the world.

And comparing the Scottish people, a few months on from an independence referendum, to pre-Independence India or Apartheid South Africa is a bit of a stretch...

Cameron is a politician - what do you expect him to say? Scottish independence is politically inevitable - he might well realize that, but he's not going to come out and trumpet it to the world.

And comparing the Scottish people, a few months on from an independence referendum, to pre-Independence India or Apartheid South Africa is a bit of a stretch...

Hardly a stretch.

For years we have suffered at least as much as Steve Biko did.

Probably even more really.

All those Sunday afternoons, we as a nation spent huddled thegither watching Paul Coia quiz shows while we told that our English neighbours got to watch double bills of Indiana Jones films.

All those white settler English weather presenters on BBC Scotland who pronounce Scotland as "Scotlund".

And then the being force-fed episodes of "The Vicar of Dibley" like geese in a gavage.

We have suffered.

We still have Fred Macauley on a Friday.

They told us he was gone, but when my radio alarm clock went off on Friday there he was: mediocrity incarnate, surrounded by an assortment of fellow dreary comics and other braying guests with not a single jock voice amongst them.

I wanted a lie in, so I hit the sleep button but he came back half an hour later with even more of his luke warm radio piss.

But all that pales in to insignificance with the knowledge that once Scotland is an independent country, about 20 years down the line Sir James Corden will win an Oscar for his 'incredible' portrayal of Nicola in the glossy biopic "Sturgeon".

We are the hardest done people on the planet: we are the Irish of Europe.

Here is the new schedule.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30505342

Seems like it was announced a few months back. It should be a better format having a longer phone in, debate programme. I quite enjoy listening to some of the arguments that can kick off on these types of programmes.

Ooops, wrong Fred!

Edited by northernscum

Labour are a joke,as long as we can continue to get the message over that a vote for the SNP is a vote for stringer Scottish representation at Westminster I think we'll pump dead labour. They're a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

ICM/Guardian poll out today predicts SNP getting 43 seats...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/23/labour-faces-electoral-rout-scotland-snp

This bit was interesting though:-

Further analysis for the Guardian suggests that the dire headline figures could be an underestimate of the catastrophe confronting Scottish Labour.

ICM used postcodes to place its 1,002 respondents into individual seats, which were then lumped into four categories – including “Labour heartland” (where the 2010 lead over the SNP exceeded 25 points) and “more marginal Labour”.

Prof John Curtice, of Strathclyde University, Scotland’s pre-eminent psephologist, calculated the post-2010 swing in each class of constituency, and concluded that Scottish Labour could be wiped out in all but two seats.

On Curtice’s alternative projection, which takes into account the SNP’s disproportionate surge in Labour’s heartlands, the SNP would snatch 53 of Scotland’s 59 seats.

The three other parties would split the remaining six equally – with two seats apiece. The extraordinary implication is that Scottish Labour would be left with no more representation than the Scottish Tories, who have been semi-extinct at Westminster since 1997.

I now know what a psephologist is ;)

I honestly cant see the polls holding up, anything above 30 seats would be massive... The MSM is about to go into full swing with shit throwing tbh the record is just constant , they seem to be running with NHS scotland is in a mess, everyday they have a headline of that tone...i honestly loath the daily record

Hampden-Loon - Think the polls will hold up but not to the extent that Ashcroft and Curtice are predicting. I think we will get around 40 seats which will still be a massive achievement. MSM can go into overdrive all they like but I think this time people are starting to see through the tired old shite the Liecord and the Liebour spin machine are trotting out. And, crucially, the Scottish electorate will not take kindly to the hysterical nonsense that the likes of Anna Soubry are coming out with.

After the referendum, the political landscape has completely changed.

I hope you are right KOP i really do but after how gutted i was with the referendum result i am keeping my guard well nd truly up, i would take 30 right now if i had the chance, 30 would be massive

Hampden-Loon - Think the polls will hold up but not to the extent that Ashcroft and Curtice are predicting. I think we will get around 40 seats which will still be a massive achievement. MSM can go into overdrive all they like but I think this time people are starting to see through the tired old shite the Liecord and the Liebour spin machine are trotting out. And, crucially, the Scottish electorate will not take kindly to the hysterical nonsense that the likes of Anna Soubry are coming out with.

After the referendum, the political landscape has completely changed.

Edited by hampden_loon2878

We won't get over 50 seats as they predict, that's just ridiculous IMO. I think labour will pull it back slightly, and that should be enough to keep their safe seats.

I'd take anything above 30, although it will be spun as an SNP failure. If we hit 40 I'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Agreed. I was initially sceptical we would even break 20 but that now looks highly unlikely. Breaking 30 and being the largest Scottish party should now be the target with anything above that a fantastic achievement. Breaking 40 would be incredible and there's next to no chance of breaking 50 IMO.

I honestly cant see the polls holding up, anything above 30 seats would be massive... The MSM is about to go into full swing with shit throwing tbh the record is just constant , they seem to be running with NHS scotland is in a mess, everyday they have a headline of that tone...i honestly loath the daily record

Radio Scotland were at it yesterday as well. That daft wifie on in the morning trying to get folk to phone in about their problems wit the NHS. Trying to make NHS Scotland look as bad as possible. The bit I heard was really pathetic stuff..

I'm sure some of Labour's big names will hold on. If Dougie Alexander loses to a 20 year old student the game is well and truly up for them...

I wonder if the selection of a 20-yr old woman will be just the spur that the people of Paisley and Renfrewshire South need to "get it right up" Alexander?

Just my opinion.I think we are being led into a false sense of security by these polls. I can see the SNP winning maybe 30 seats which will be a big achievement.Anything less will be reported by the press as an SNP failure which we know it wont be.

Politics in Scotland changed last year with the media and unionist parties clubbing together to attack the SNP with fear over hope politics.We can change this by sending SNP MPs to Westminster and launching a new Indy campaign from there.

Edited by peever1745