Lambert Gone - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lambert Gone

Totally agree. McLeish is a good manager and proved it at both Rangers and Scotland. He was also doing reasonably well over in Belgium last I checked.

Villa is a poisoned chalice.

Houllier and O'Neil too.

All 4 of their last manager are good managers and their worst spell as a manager has come at Aston Villa.

I hope they go down. If they did, they'd end up staying down for a long time.

Houllier and O'Neil too.

All 4 of their last manager are good managers and their worst spell as a manager has come at Aston Villa.

I hope they go down. If they did, they'd end up staying down for a long time.

O'Neil and Houllier spunked huge wads of money on average players.

O'Neil actually done a decent job at Villa because he had a lot of money to spend.

Houllier however spent £24million on Darren Bent FFS!

McLeish signed N'Zogbia for about £12million.

Differing managers have given fat contracts to a past it Shay Given, Hutton, Dunne, Ireland and all manner of other average players.

Hasnt had the best of time at Aston Villa, but done a great job at Norwich and am sure if he was backed by the board to bring in decent players he would have done far better at Villa, the injury on Benteke who hasnt been same player since came back from injury didnt help him. I hope Paul gets back into management and is successful, he has it in him. Always thought from watching him even at Motherwell was a great tactician on it and believe he will be one of the best still of it. Villa just wasnt the job for him.

Totally agree. McLeish is a good manager and proved it at both Rangers and Scotland. He was also doing reasonably well over in Belgium last I checked.

Villa is a poisoned chalice.

Only thing about McLeish is he has a habit of taking somebody else failing team, getting the most out of it, only for it to go belly up once he starts adding his own touches to the squad.........

Radio this morning has Sherwood, Dyche and Hoddle as favorites for the managers job (he was only Alan Brazils show few weeks back, dropped hints that he was getting itchy feet to get back into management, and within a hour had two managerial offers apparently).

Edited by wanderer

Lambert's brand of football is brutal to watch and the money he had he generally didn't spend well. Surprised he lasted this long.

That is what I thought but listening to talksport last night and a few callers when on about how they played decent stuff under Lambert, only in the final third did they resemble a Sunday league team!! :blink:

I don't get the love for Benteke.

A remodel of Emile Heskey that's all.

I've said that for a while. Everyone in the press and media seem to love his big strong presence up front but he can't score more than 10 goals a season. He needs 6 or 7 good chances to get a goal and has a head like a 50p piece.

What I don't get is how they villa were slowly getting better under Lambert until this season when it seems to have gone totally down hill. Is this all down to Lambert or do the players have to take some blame as well

What I don't get is how they villa were slowly getting better under Lambert until this season when it seems to have gone totally down hill. Is this all down to Lambert or do the players have to take some blame as well

I don't know - so I'm asking.

I'm assuming that Lambert has made some sort of statement thanking this person and that.

Did he thank the players?

I don't know - so I'm asking.

I'm assuming that Lambert has made some sort of statement thanking this person and that.

Did he thank the players?

Not seen any.

Just seems to me that as soon as a team goes downhill its always the managers fault even when he has been good before at the club or at other clubs. Can thee be time when players just don't pull their weight or just don't listen to the manager

Not seen any.

Just seems to me that as soon as a team goes downhill its always the managers fault even when he has been good before at the club or at other clubs. Can thee be time when players just don't pull their weight or just don't listen to the manager

Well, I think - as Scotland fans - we've seen exactly that.

I really like to understand what people don't say when they've been sacked.

Well, I think - as Scotland fans - we've seen exactly that.

I really like to understand what people don't say when they've been sacked.

Doesn't endear yourself to future employers.

Plus, who'd buy your book if you revealed everything as it happens?

Edited by PASTA Mick

Doesn't endear yourself to future employers.

"future employers"......I'm going to assume that you weren't aiming that at me. :rollsmile:

No, I was more thinking that managers who feel that the players have "gone on strike" rarely thank them in their farewell statement.