New Year - New Players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Year - New Players

ErsatzThistle

Which new or returning players would you like to see given a chance for Scotland this year ?

Looking forward to seeing what Johnny Russell and Stevie May can bring to the team.

I really think it's time we gave Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Jack their debuts against Northern Ireland. Gary Mackay-Steven should also get a chance in that match. It wouldn't do any harm to keep Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Mark Reynolds, Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney in our thoughts either.

It'll be interesting to see whether Strachan recalls Jordan Rhodes and gives Phil Bardsley a couple of games. I'm not keen on Charlie Adam, James Forrest or Leigh Griffiths making a return to the team however.

An outside chance perhaps for Ryan Gauld, Lewis MacLeod, Jack Grimmer or Liam Cooper ?

Who would you like to see make an impact this year then ?

Agree about Russell. May needs to do abit more at club level to get a start but done enough recently to stay in the squad. Id like to see Martin given another half. He plays well for Derby and has came on at difficult times in his games so far. Another chance before consigning him to the not good enough bin.

GMS is good enough on his day but the problem with international football is that its not about his day, its about the day of the game. Which is why a good international player tends to be somebody who can perform on the big occasion when required to do so. Im not saying GMS cant go on to become an important player for Scotland but I don't think he has done enough to merit a place in front of others.

GMS seems to have motored on a bit in last few games and definitely worth a chance from what I've seen. Absolutely ideal player to play against a team like gibralter to keep them stretched as possible so a start v NI may be a good shout.

Strachan has mentioned though that he will be using less fringe players this coming year as he can't bear to see players dottin about in the tracksuit for 10 days and getting nae game time which I always suspected. Chris Burke must be ready to chuck it. I wouldn't bank on many of the players mentioned above getting a chance.

Agree about Russell. May needs to do abit more at club level to get a start but done enough recently to stay in the squad. Id like to see Martin given another half. He plays well for Derby and has came on at difficult times in his games so far. Another chance before consigning him to the not good enough bin.

GMS is good enough on his day but the problem with international football is that its not about his day, its about the day of the game. Which is why a good international player tends to be somebody who can perform on the big occasion when required to do so. Im not saying GMS cant go on to become an important player for Scotland but I don't think he has done enough to merit a place in front of others.

May scores 5 in 21

Rhodes scores 5 in 14

Given recent seasons performances also...

Yet may deserves a chance and Rhodes doesn't?

I still have a soft spot for McFadden who is now st johnstone.

As there is no room for sentiment in football i fear his chances of a return to the international team is gone, but until he retires my dream is alive.

Cant believe that goal in france was 7 plus years ago. 8 years on the 17th of September!

May scores 5 in 21

Rhodes scores 5 in 14

Given recent seasons performances also...

Yet may deserves a chance and Rhodes doesn't?

They are two different players. One does what Kris Boyd used to do and the other does more of what Kenny Miller did.

Maybe should have added at international level. May played well when he came on as a sub and also for the 21s.

For what its worth im a big fan of Rhodes and dont think he is a Kris Boyd type at all. His all round game is much better and feel that he has been unfairly labelled.

I still have a soft spot for McFadden who is now st johnstone.

As there is no room for sentiment in football i fear his chances of a return to the international team is gone, but until he retires my dream is alive.

Cant believe that goal in france was 7 plus years ago. 8 years on the 17th of September!

12th....

Which new or returning players would you like to see given a chance for Scotland this year ?

I really think it's time we gave Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Jack their debuts against Northern Ireland. Gary Mackay-Steven should also get a chance in that match. It wouldn't do any harm to keep Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Mark Reynolds, Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney in our thoughts either.

Ryan Jack definitely deserves a place in the squad. Ok, so I'm looking at it through re-tinted glasses, but it's only by seeing him every week that you realise his importance to Aberdeen. Maybe the reason many people don't rate him is that they only really see Aberdeen on Sportscence, and he's anything but a highlights player. What he does do, though, is provide a vital link between the defence and the midfield. If he reminds me of anyone, it's Paul Lambert, although he's obviously nowhere near that quality yet. Then again, Lambert was never rated in Scotland when he first played here, and he had a Champions League winners medal a year later!

Many Aberdeen supporters would probably view him as our player of the season so far, and he consistently receives man-of-the-match awards. Would love to see him in the next squad.

Do not see anyone being added that will hold down a place, but suspect Strachan will continue with what he has been doing of calling up players here and there, but guys who will be in one squad, then dropped for next and then back again few squads later.

During the holidays Strachan was saying he is looking to cut his squad from 22-24 down to just 20 maximum, and mentioned it being unfair to guys like Dorrans and Burke being away from their families for up to 10 days, and not getting a sniff of action.

Strachans team basically picks itself now, so you have a hard core of 12-15 players who will be in every squad.

Suspect we will not really see anyone new (Jack Harper might get the "youngster call up" at some point this year), with guys like Cooper (if what McGhee was saying is true about them watching him), Pawlett, Jack, Gauld etc will probably get call up's here and there.

Might get a surprise and see guys like Cairney, Arffield, Palmer get a call up at some point, but really they are the only ones you would consider being "new", as everyone else mentioned has been involved in a squad at some point.

Ryan Jack definitely deserves a place in the squad. Ok, so I'm looking at it through re-tinted glasses, but it's only by seeing him every week that you realise his importance to Aberdeen. Maybe the reason many people don't rate him is that they only really see Aberdeen on Sportscence, and he's anything but a highlights player. What he does do, though, is provide a vital link between the defence and the midfield. If he reminds me of anyone, it's Paul Lambert, although he's obviously nowhere near that quality yet. Then again, Lambert was never rated in Scotland when he first played here, and he had a Champions League winners medal a year later!

Many Aberdeen supporters would probably view him as our player of the season so far, and he consistently receives man-of-the-match awards. Would love to see him in the next squad.

I rate Jack but he plays in a position where we have the most competition and he has to try and get ahead of some of our best players to get in the team. He will get his chance at some point.

Oh, and George 'White Pele' Boyd will force his way into the squad very soon.

I actually do think he has played his way into Strachans next squad now he is playing regularly for Burnley.

Strachan did say he was only dropped because he was not playing, but that would change if he could get a run of games going.

Has there been any interested in Ryan Jack from other clubs? Always hear Dundee United's youngsters being linked with moves but not Jack.

I'd imagine he'll leave us in the summer :(

Though not totally discarding him, I think the signs are looking more and more likely that if he does not buckle down, he will just fade away into obscurity, turning up at the likes of a Portsmouth or Chesterfield etc in 2/3 years time.

Sadly, you may be right. His attitude has been talked about on here before and rightly so. But let's not forget he is a young laddie with a daft napper on his shoulders being filled with the tripe you'd expect in London.