New Year - New Players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Year - New Players

ErsatzThistle

I'd like to see Ross McCormack back in a Scotland shirt, big admirer of his and feel he is being unfairly criticised due to the fee paid for him in the summer, which "apparently" was actually closer to 6 than 11. He's been very good whenever I've watched him this season without scoring the goals he did last year! Also like to see Rhodes return, think he is a much better player than many give him credit for. Liked the look of Russell against England. Would also like to see Arfield and Cairney in and around a couple of squads.

tbh i'm not sure how many i'd really want to pull him and see involved. we've got a fairly strong squad.

GK: mcgregor, marshall, gordon

def: hutton, bardsley, martin, hanley, berra, greer, robertson, forsyth

mid: brown, mulgrew, fletcher, anya, morrison, snodgrass, bannan, maloney

fwd: fletcher, naismith, martin

so that's 23 who are pretty much definite picks at this point.

russell deserves another opportunity, dorrans and may are likely to be around as well.

i don't really want to throw in a lot of fringe players just because. i can understand calling up the odd young player to inspire them and encourage them to push on and earn a regular call up but for the wider squad that's how it should work. you excel and force your way into the team.

I honestly think Strachan will be forced to backtrack on his wish to use fewer players.

Firstly, injuries and suspensions are a certainty. Secondly, it's possible that one or two first team players may lose form and have to be dropped for the good of the team. Thirdly, it hopefully won't happen but a player could throw a hissy fit over something and "decline selection". Finally a young Scot could be playing so well that it would just be daft not to pick them.

I'm pretty confident we will see Armstong, Mackay-Steven, Jack, Gauld and Macleod in action for Scotland this year. :ok:

I think you've misunderstood what WGS said. He's not saying he wants to pick from a smaller pool, he's just considering taking a smaller squad to away games.

He said there's no point taking players who will not be involved and making them come away from their families for up to 10 days with nothing to show for it. That doesn't affect picking people on merit or dropping them on it as well.. obviously if someone's suspended they wouldn't be called up anyway.

I haven't gone back and reread it,. but i'm pretty sure he said something about maybe taking more of the younger guys to fill out the squad as they're less likely to have families they'd be away from.

Tbh, it sounds quite sensible to me. he wouldn't have mentioned it if some of the players hadn't mentioned it to him, so he's taking consideration of his players and trying to help them out so they're happy and positive when involved in the national set up. Seems a good way to keep some of the fringe guys happy and generate goodwill so they'll go the extra mile when they are needed.