Alloa And The The Rangers - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alloa And The The Rangers

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the Gretna model!

Excellent. What happened to them?

You have obviously completely missed the point, well done.

I wasn't suggesting Gretna were a success financially.

I was responding to comments that getting players to drop leagues purely for financial reasons would automatically result in underachievement. That certainly wasn't the outcome with the players Gretna brought in.

On the Gretna example, it was bottom end premier league players and players better than the level they were at as they came up. They didn't Hoover up the best players from several top league sides for the 3rd division and double their salary!

On the Gretna example, it was bottom end premier league players and players better than the level they were at as they came up. They didn't Hoover up the best players from several top league sides for the 3rd division and double their salary!

exactly.

and I don't recall Gretna going out and signing international players and doing so on wages that were three to five times what they were earning at their previous clubs

You have obviously completely missed the point, well done.

I wasn't suggesting Gretna were a success financially.

I was responding to comments that getting players to drop leagues purely for financial reasons would automatically result in underachievement. That certainly wasn't the outcome with the players Gretna brought in.

Not the same situation by a long way IMO.

Rangers have filled their squad with over the hill journeymen who are winding down their careers. They are also being paid astronomical wages.

Gretna on the other hand signed guys who had made a modest living at the game but no more than that. Some of them were of course in their thirties but they were very experienced at Scottish League football, with some of them having played at the lower end of the SPL. I would suggest that it was as much to do with them having the chance to have a bit of success in the game as well as picking up better wages. It was nothing like triple and quadruple what they were on though.

Hendricks original post pretty much sums it up for me and it's something I've said all along. Even if we were to do the unthinkable and turn this around and gain promotion, we would be utterly humiliated in the SPL with our current squad. And of course we have got into a situation now where it's not repairable. Of that 18 man squad last night I would have 14 of them out the door tomorrow. And as other shave rightly said, who in there right mind would sign for us, better still who would want to invest.

I've said it before, we look like a group of guys who have turned up for a trial and Ally has just told the players to set up 4-4-2 and see how it goes.

There is still worse to come (or better depending how you feel about it all :D) IMO

Edited by Angus_Young

the rangers and mccoist situation reminds me of the times I've been made redundant.

we knew we were effed. The management knew it, but didn't talk about it. We all just showed up, did the minimum to get by, put on a brave face and as long as the pay poke arrived each month didn't really face the reality. None of us made much noise or left because we knew we were due a pay off. And then one day just as you were getting used to it, BANG, all gone.

Hendricks original post pretty much sums it up for me and it's something I've said all along. Even if we were to do the unthinkable and turn this around and gain promotion, we would be utterly humiliated in the SPL with our current squad. And of course we have got into a situation now where it's not repairable. Of that 18 man squad last night I would have 14 of them out the door tomorrow. And as other shave rightly said, who in there right mind would sign for us, better still who would want to invest.

I've said it before, we look like a group of guys who have turned up for a trial and Ally has just told the players to set up 4-4-2 and see how it goes.

There is still worse to come (or better depending how you feel about it all :D) IMO

Will have to agree to disagree on Gretna comparison but IMO both sides signed better players than the normal standard of the leagues they were in.

In relation to Rangers current squad, ignoring the managers tactical ineptitude, how do you explain beating 3 SPL sides quite comfortably this season re getting humiliated next season? IMO Rangers players problem is an attitude one rather than talent problem. They have struggled in these "easy" cup games over the last 3 seasons but can still turn over Killie or St J when needed this season.

In relation to Rangers current squad, ignoring the managers tactical ineptitude, how do you explain beating 3 SPL sides quite comfortably this season re getting humiliated next season? IMO Rangers players problem is an attitude one rather than talent problem. They have struggled in these "easy" cup games over the last 3 seasons but can still turn over Killie or St J when needed this season.

Agree with that.

think yesterday was our lowest crowd in the league for a very long time.Its now hard to distinguish the primary reason for fans staying away. The Regime or McCoist and the turgid football he is serving up.

Official attendance was given as over 28,000. Were they "doing a Celtic" with the figures?

It certainly didn't feel like 28,000, so would imagine it was those who had purchased a ticket including season tickets.

Personally I can't blame people for drifting away based solely on the one dimensional, slow, unimaginative pish on the field. I left a training course an hour early and missed the first fifteen minutes - spending the next 75 wishing I was back on the training course!! It's grinding to watch, particularly as you know they will raise their game against an SPL team in the cup.

Entertainment is usually restricted to whether McCoist will go for Daly and Clarke on for Boyd and Millar at 60 minutes or Clarke and Daly on for Millar and Boyd at 70 minutes. The random bonus ball being won with which fullback Faure/Smith/Foster replaces at 85mins.

If McCoist is still around for the playoffs, then don't doubt the possibility of a colossal feck up on the day!

TT