Players Ratings - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players Ratings

Caledonian Craig

In Gord we trust but for the life of me I can't understand what he sees in Martin. Anyway . .

Marshall - 7 - solid

Whittaker - 7 - defended well, good positioning and apart from that one dribble didn't do too much wrong.

Martin - 7 - dealt with the long balls generally well

Hanely - 6.5 - slow start, bit unrefined at times but got stronger as the game went on.

Robertson - 8 - strong performance. A fullback who can defend and attack

Brown - 7 - quietly effective, makes it look easy at this level now

Mulgrew - 7.5 - Solid performance, was everywhere in that second half

Maloney - 8 - our best attacking threat. Loved his control and cross for fletcher in the first half. His goal was brilliant.

Anya - 6.5 - not a bad game but not as effective as Poland and Germany. Even then he looks comfortable at this level and offers genuine pace lacking elsewhere.

Naismith - 7 - tireless performance, even when he's not at his best he carries a threat, good link up play with those around him.

Fletcher - 6.5 - big man needs a goal for his own confidence. Not at his best but his link up play is generally excellent. Building a real understanding with the players around him that will eventually lead to goals I'm sure.

Strachan - 8 - love the wee man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General consensus seems to be that Hanley is the weaker of the 2 centre backs, but I thought Martin was poor last night. Does some good things but I thought his attempt to deal with the Irish long ball was terrible. Kept missing or leaving what should've been comfortable headers. Could've cost us!

Marshall (7) Made one good save, numerous easy saves, caught what we was expected to catch but his kicking was poor.

Whittaker (6) Started nervously but grew into the game.

Hanley (6) A couple of dodgy moments but Ireland's long-ball game suited him.

Martin (7) He's become a very important player for us and he was good again last night.

Robertson (8) McGeady didn't get a look in against him and he kept Coleman pegged back too.

Brown (8) Strolled through the match, broke down countless attacks and never gave a ball away.

Mulgrew (9) He was everywhere and bossed the midfield. MOTM.

Maloney (9) Almost everything we did well in the final third was because of Maloney. Scored, created out other good chances.

Naismith (7) Not his best game because Ireland were terrified of him and worked well to stop him causing problems.

Anya (6) Even when he's not at his best, his pace causes teams problems. Partnership with Robertson is improving.

Fletcher (6) He's a constant threat, has a great touch and brilliant vision but needs to start taking his chances.

Martin (5) I'm really struggling to believe that he will make a big impact at this level but did hold the ball up well.

Fletcher (-) A good player to bring on when calm was needed at the end.

People forget that Hanley is still relatively young for a centre half. Done fine again last night.

Chris Martin? I can't disagree with the criticisms. Really should have scored, but gave the defenders a hard time. I think we need to hand him a start to give him a fair chance to impress.

Mulgrew was brilliant. Totally bossed the midfield. Robertson outstanding, Maloney just genius, but I think we have to give everyone credit. Tough game and we got the result. :ok:

Marshall - 7. Steady pair of hands, good save from McGeady, couple of kick outs dodgy

Whittaker - 6. At times dallied on ball and slack with a couple of easy passes. Handled McLean well though.

Martin - 7. Coped comfortably with Walters and Long.

Hanley - 6. Lucky to only be booked for Long foul.

Robertson - 8. Excellent performance, both defensively and going forward.

Brown - 7. Good back heel for the winner.

Mulgrew - 9. Bossed the midfield, so composed and his best game for Scotland by far.

Naismith - 7. Never gave Irish back line a moments rest and work rate was usual self.

Maloney - 9. Great goal to win it.

Anya - 7. Had the pace to worry Coleman all night.

S Fletcher - 6. Link up play was good but fluffed a good chance.

C Martin - 4. Should've scored and still doesn't look like an international footballer.

D Fletcher - n/a. Only on last two minutes.

He's just not a penalty box striker, seems to lack that killer instinct.

Don't want to go on about this but I've said it, so many times before. You simply can't be a top quality striker if your right foot is only for standing on. Again, last night, in the first half, he had a glorious opportunity, when the ball was played across the 6 yard box into his path, on his right foot. I honestly would have expected my 15 year old to put it away, but instead of simply side footing it into the net with his right foot, he tried to flick it with the outside of his left, and more or less completely missed the ball. Simply not good enough and tarnishes the rest of the good play he does, at times.

Don't want to go on about this but I've said it, so many times before. You simply can't be a top quality striker if your right foot is only for standing on. Again, last night, in the first half, he had a glorious opportunity, when the ball was played across the 6 yard box into his path, on his right foot. I honestly would have expected my 15 year old to put it away, but instead of simply side footing it into the net with his right foot, he tried to flick it with the outside of his left, and more or less completely missed the ball. Simply not good enough and tarnishes the rest of the good play he does, at times.

You're right about that he should've used his right, and should be able to. I always find though that left foot players get way more stick for being one footed than right footed, I think it's more noticeable.

Totally agree!

fletcher has a notoriously weak right foot, at this stage in his career its not going to get any better unfortunately

Marshall 7 (good performance, terrible kicking)

whittaker 7 (good balanced performance, doesn't have the explosive attacking that Hutton has, and we miss that)

Hanley 5 (no pace, reckless booking could have cost us, but at the end of the day, a clean sheet)

R.martin 7 (solid, reliable)

Robertson 8 (just excellent, regardless of experience)

Brown 5 (not up to usual standard, lacked composure, no forward commitment, guess that was the plan)

MULGREW 9 (absolute revelation, great with and without the ball, best player on the park by miles)

Maloney 8 (I have never taken to him, cant forgive Georgia away in 2007, but he has been outstanding so far in campaign, gr8 goal)

Naismith 8 ( gr8 workrate/ability........ still no final product)

anya 6 ( good work rate, not the player ppl think he is, but decent shift, and decent pace, obviously essential to us)

s Fletcher 5 ( sorry, I can see there is a player there, and his work rate is good, but still no finished product........... and I still hold a grudge from the levein debacle)

subs

D fletcher 6 (not enough time, but we kept the clean sheet, so bringing him on steadied the ship)

C martin 4 (sorry not an international footballer, too slow... simple as that)

Strachan 8 (1-0, 3 pts, speaks for itself)

Celtic park 6

sfa SWEET F... ALL (speaks for itself)

Overall 8

Naismith has no end product?

Marshall - 7. Safe at the back as always and dealt with McGeady's chance but distribution could be better

Whittaker - 6. Had a reasonable game with no major mistakes in an unfamiliar role for Scotland
Martin - 7. Comfortable at the back and lead the line well
Hanley - 6. Dealt well with the Irish long ball tactics slightly rash at times
Robertson - 8. Looks like he has played at the top level for years gave McGeady nothing

Brown - 7. Quieter game for Brown than normal but partnered Mulgrew well and helped to control the midfield
Mulgrew - 9. MOTM didn't put a foot wrong the only thing he didn't do was score a goal.

Naismith - 8. Chased and harassed the Irish line from the first minute and won a lot of balls in the air great link up between Fletcher and the midfield
Maloney - 9. Great goal to win it looked hungry only outshone by Mulgrew
Anya - 6. Quiet game against Coleman but his pace forced Coleman back limiting the Irish attack on that side

S Fletcher - 6. Link up play was good but no end product really needs to start scoring

C Martin - 3. Should've scored and if he keeps missing chances like that will soon find others ahead of him
D Fletcher - n/a.