Callum Paterson Added To Squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Callum Paterson Added To Squad

a_broxibear

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McLeod and Patterson are nowhere near good enough to start and in both cases I wish we had went for the better options. But they are both just young lads who will be brought in for WGS to look at I doubt any of them will see any game time. I have no problem with either being in as I can see why hes doing it but nobody has gave them any serious abuse as far as I can see. Just questioning their inclusion and what basis their inclusions are.

What abuse did Lewis McLeod get?

Folk said it was a joke he was called up. I don't recall seeing anyone abusing him. Try sticking to the facts, rather than your own warped version of reality. :ok:

Paterson shouldn't be called up, just as McLeod shouldn't.

McLeod and Patterson are nowhere near good enough to start and in both cases I wish we had went for the better options. But they are both just young lads who will be brought in for WGS to look at I doubt any of them will see any game time. I have no problem with either being in as I can see why hes doing it but nobody has gave them any serious abuse as far as I can see. Just questioning their inclusion and what basis their inclusions are.

what are the better options at right back?

seem a little thin on the ground after Bardsley, Hutton and Whittaker

Quite a few young right backs in the Premiership that would maybe have deserved a chance, like Ziggy Gordon, Paul McGinn, Jason Naismith (no St Mirren bias here...) etc, if it's just "for experience". He's probably only been included as he was already in the under 21 squad. Don't necessarily agree he should be in though.

Quite a few young right backs in the Premiership that would maybe have deserved a chance, like Ziggy Gordon, Paul McGinn, Jason Naismith (no St Mirren bias here...) etc, if it's just "for experience". He's probably only been included as he was already in the under 21 squad. Don't necessarily agree he should be in though.

Good shout re: Ziggy Gordon. From what I have seen a far better full back than Paterson. But Paterson plays for a 'bigger club'. That, unfortunately seems to count for a lot these days.

Seems to me it's a pick to fill numbers at training only. Martin Whittaker forsyth Robertson and mulgrew who was very decent v Croatia at left back 12 months ago provide plenty cover at full back.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

I'd question if anyone playing at as low a level as the Championship should be in the Scotland squad, short of an injury crisis of just about inconceivable proportions. The step up to an international is vast. I guess Paterson is in on the basis of his involvement with the U21s? We can only trust that Strachan knows what he is doing, and that like MacLeod, Paterson won't be anywhere near the team for a qualifier. Previous suggestions that anyone playing in SFL 1 or 2 should be in the Scotland squad were stupid.

I'd question if anyone playing at as low a level as the Championship should be in the Scotland squad, short of an injury crisis of just about inconceivable proportions. The step up to an international is vast. I guess Paterson is in on the basis of his involvement with the U21s? We can only trust that Strachan knows what he is doing, and that like MacLeod, Paterson won't be anywhere near the team for a qualifier. Previous suggestions that anyone playing in SFL 1 or 2 should be in the Scotland squad were stupid.

You're kidding yourself on if you think there's a dramatic difference between the top 2 leagues. Hearts are more than capable of being second in the SPFL.

Stephen O`Donnell is a cracking player, he def has a big future in the game. Dont know if any truth in it but im sure Celtic, wolves and Ipswich were looking at him

He was captain of Celtic's under-19 team, and all of them were let go at the end of 2011-12, after which Jaggy Mac picked him up for Thistle.

He's a superb full back for the Jags, although still a few rough edges to be sorted out, but he's nowhere near international class.

Mind you, I'd still trust him before Whittaker, who I think is a total bombscare at international level.

He was captain of Celtic's under-19 team, and all of them were let go at the end of 2011-12, after which Jaggy Mac picked him up for Thistle.

He's a superb full back for the Jags, although still a few rough edges to be sorted out, but he's nowhere near international class.

Mind you, I'd still trust him before Whittaker, who I think is a total bombscare at international level.

I'd actually almost completely agree. I don't think he is far away. In fact if he didn't have such an injury prone last couple of seasons he wouldn't be with thistle and would be knocking on the door of a call up.

He won't be a thistle for long. That is the only certainty. I think he has more than enough to be capped a fair few times for Scotland.

Think he will join jackie at United sooner rather than later then get a decent move before playing for Scotland. If he can stay fit. Very similar in style to Robertson, who was also released by Celtic.

I'd actually almost completely agree. I don't think he is far away. In fact if he didn't have such an injury prone last couple of seasons he wouldn't be with thistle and would be knocking on the door of a call up.

He won't be a thistle for long. That is the only certainty. I think he has more than enough to be capped a fair few times for Scotland.

Think he will join jackie at United sooner rather than later then get a decent move before playing for Scotland. If he can stay fit. Very similar in style to Robertson, who was also released by Celtic.

FFS - Shut the f**k up!!!

We need him at Firhill for another three years minimum!!