Starting 11 Against Germany - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 Against Germany

Scot1

Gunn

Porteous.   Hendry.  Tierney 

Ralston.                        Robbo

McTom.    Gilmour.   Christie   

McGinn

Conway

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gunn

McGinn

Conway

No McGregor? Conway has no experience... 

6 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No McGregor? Conway has no experience... 

I think Germany is going to have the majority of possession. I think Christie’s game is better suited to having to defend and counter than McGregor’s.

Similarly out of our Centre Forwards in the squad, Conway looks like he is the one best suited to harassing Germany’s backline, defending from the front. 

Gunn

Hendry.     Hanley.     Tierney

Ralston.   Gilmour  mcgregor. Robertson

Mcginn.  Mctominay. Christie

Get as many players on the park that are comfortable on the ball and have experience of playing in intimidating atmospheres like the Allianz.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I think Germany is going to have the majority of possession. I think Christie’s game is better suited to having to defend and counter than McGregor’s.

Similarly out of our Centre Forwards in the squad, Conway looks like he is the one best suited to harassing Germany’s backline, defending from the front. 

Fairplay. Will be interesting who Clarke goes with. Shame Calmac and Christie Cannae play together.... 

1 minute ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gunn

Get as many players on the park that are comfortable on the ball and have experience of playing in intimidating atmospheres like the Allianz.

Hanley is a bombscare...

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Gunn

McGinn

Conway

If Conway starts against Germany I’ll eat my own Y-fronts. 

I’ll also be shocked if McGregor doesn’t start. 

I hope McTominay makes it but I have a bad feeling he might not. 

It all kind of depends now on MacTominay. If he makes it either Gilmour or McGregor drop out. The rest of the team picks it’s self I think. I don’t see Clarke leaving McGregor out but who knows.

Gunn 

Ralston. Porteus Tierney Robbo

Mctominay Gilmour 

Mcginn McGregor Christie 

Adams. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gunn

Hanley did not do himself any favours tonight. 

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Agreed but im resigned to him playing ahead of porteous

Porteus has always been great in a Scotland shirt. 

Porteus-Hendry-Tierney are the first choice back three for me for all three games.

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

It all kind of depends now on MacTominay. If he makes it either Gilmour or McGregor drop out. The rest of the team picks it’s self I think. I don’t see Clarke leaving McGregor out but who knows.

If McTominay is fit I think it will be Christie who drops out. 

Gunn

Porteous hendry Tierney

Ralston.                               Robbo

McGregor gilmour

Mctominay.           Mcginn

Adams

Pretty sure that's our Germany team. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gunn

Porteous hendry Tierney

McGregor gilmour

Adams

Think that’s spot on tbh. 

Clarke said McTominay was back in full training and would come on last night. I'm glad he put on Conway and Morgan rather than him. We know what he can do so I hope he isn't still injured.

I really like Hendry at RCB but I'm happy to put him in the middle if it means Hanley doesn't play. That's even though Hendry can sometimes be a a bit of a bombscare, too. I also like Porteous's passing from RCB.

I feel like Shankland can't win. Against Gibraltar he was much more involved in link-up play and dropping deep but people complained he didn't score. Last night he was more about the box (under instruction I reckon as Clarke had said he needs to be in the box more) and people complained he was doing nothing. I do wonder if he maybe isn't the right fit for this team as we're struggling to create anything with him in the side. That might also be something to do with Gilmour and McGregor not playing penetrating passes.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gunn

Porteous hendry Tierney

McGregor gilmour

Adams

Rightly or wrongly, I think it'll be Hanley starting. Clarke has clearly been determined to get him match fit for this tournament. I hope that decision doesn't backfire.

I personally would play Shankland, but I think you are right that it'll be Adams.

With more decades than I care to remember, watching dross turn out for Scotland, with the occasional solid team, it is an absolute delight to see the Gilmour McGregor partnership. They dominated possession last night and we should enjoy having players that easy on the eye. Adding  the quality players around them and the Tierney Robertson partnership on the left, we have really strong parts of our first 11. I personally think to drop either Gilmour or McGregor would be insane.

I agree Porteous, Hendry, Tierney are our 3 best CBs. Only concern is both Porteous and Hendry are better on the right. Think I'd put Porteous middle and keep Hendry right.

10 minutes ago, duncan II said:

With more decades than I care to remember, watching dross turn out for Scotland, with the occasional solid team, it is an absolute delight to see the Gilmour McGregor partnership. They dominated possession last night and we should enjoy having players that easy on the eye. Adding  the quality players around them and the Tierney Robertson partnership on the left, we have really strong parts of our first 11. I personally think to drop either Gilmour or McGregor would be insane.

I agree Porteous, Hendry, Tierney are our 3 best CBs. Only concern is both Porteous and Hendry are better on the right. Think I'd put Porteous middle and keep Hendry right.

I thought we were lovely to watch at times last night and alot of that is down to gilmour and McGregor. They both keep possession and stroke the ball about with confidence. Very clever players as well.

We will miss McGregor alot if he retires in couple of years time. 

15 minutes ago, duncan II said:

The thing is we have dominated possession quite a lot recently without creating many chances (except against Gibraltar). 

Something isn't working as we're not moving it quickly enough in the final third. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

The thing is we have dominated possession quite a lot recently without creating many chances (except against Gibraltar). 

Something isn't working as we're not moving it quickly enough in the final third. 

I agree, we're too possession based at times recently.  our big wins have come from being good on the ball but not afraid to be direct at times.  able to mix it up.

I think we are actually better when we play teams at our level than trying to break down minnows.  strange as it sounds.

I think we'll be more direct in Germany.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I agree, we're too possession based at times recently.  our big wins have come from being good on the ball but not afraid to be direct at times.  able to mix it up.

I think we are actually better when we play teams at our level than trying to break down minnows.  strange as it sounds.

I think we'll be more direct in Germany.

Gilmour wouldn't look out of place in the great Spanish side of 2008-2012. I really rate him that highly, BUT I don't know if it's working with his style or he and McGregor playing together. The thing is I find him too good to leave out.  Maybe the problem is Shankland and we need a pacier forward to make it work. It'll definitely be Adams to start in Germany but I liked Conway too.

I want Christie playing against Germany which must mean we have to drop McGregor or Gilmour. 

Edited by BryanBlessed