Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

I hope Clarke realises just how well the first 11 played against the Dutch. I personally would start with the exact same 11 and just try to keep them on the pitch together a little bit longer.

The one tweak I'd make is to push Christie further back and putĀ  McTominay or McGinn closer to Shankland.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I hope Clarke realises just how well the first 11 played against the Dutch. I personally would start with the exact same 11 and just try to keep them on the pitch together a little bit longer.

The one tweak I'd make is to push Christie further back and putĀ  McTominay or McGinn closer to Shankland.

If he doesn't start Ferguson today then he's never gonna.

The side I'd start with would be:-

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Gunn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā PorteousĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  HendryĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Tierney

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  PattersonĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Robertson

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  GilmourĀ  Ā  Ā  McTominayĀ  Ā  McGinn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā FergusonĀ  Ā 

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Shankland

Ā 

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A bit of a myth that. Ferguson also started against France.

He's been playing out his skin in Serie A since then and with Mcgregor out the picture, it would of been a great chance to see him start alongside Gilmour and Christie so disapointing that Clarke didn't try this out. If it's the same again then i'll be really annoyed as we can't be leaving out such good players and not trying them out enough before the euros

52 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Spot on !

14 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

He's been playing out his skin in Serie A since then and with Mcgregor out the picture, it would of been a great chance to see him start alongside Gilmour and Christie so disapointing that Clarke didn't try this out. If it's the same again then i'll be really annoyed as we can't be leaving out such good players and not trying them out enough before the euros

I have no issue Ferguson starting tonight but lets not raise expectations of him on the strength of where he plays. Jury is still out until I see him make an impression for us which I have yet to see unfortunately. No doubting his rich club form though.

Villa and Brentford are looking at Ferguson. McGinn is the captain of Villa and McTominay is possibly getting offered a new contract at Man Utd. I don't think he's good enough yet to displace them.

Ā 

I agree on starting with Shankland as I think he did enough to keep the jersey and Dykes and Adams have both had worse misses than his one against the Netherlands. Clarke said all three strikers would get minutes so Dykes will be on the park at some point.

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Ā 

I agree on starting with Shankland as I think he did enough to keep the jersey and Dykes and Adams have both had worse misses than his one against the Netherlands. Clarke said all three strikers would get minutes so Dykes will be on the park at some point.

Agreed. It is also not out of the question he may play two strikers up front tonight in Dykes and Shankland.

Dykes will start tonight I think as he didnā€™t get any minutes on Friday.Ā 
Would prefer Shankland got another chance as he did well the other night and that miss will still be on his mind.Ā 

I understand the desire for the same starting eleven with minimal substitutions, especially in defence, but do we really want injury-prone Kieran Tierney playing the full ninety minutes?

19 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Dykes will start tonight I think as he didnā€™t get any minutes on Friday.Ā 
Would prefer Shankland got another chance as he did well the other night and that miss will still be on his mind.Ā 

There are plenty of players who come along and and never get any minutes. Dykes hasn't been great for us for a while so I don't think Clarke should start him just so he can get minutes. A sub at 70 minutes maybe?

36 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Villa and Brentford are looking at Ferguson. McGinn is the captain of Villa and McTominay is possibly getting offered a new contract at Man Utd. I don't think he's good enough yet to displace them.

Ā 

Ferguson doesn't need to displace these guys, he can play alongside them if Mcgregor is on the bench or out injured. I accept that this probably won't happen as a change of formation would then be required as Ferguson/McT/McGinn are classed as forward thinking midfield players now to get the best out of them.Ā 

I like Shankland but for Scotland to progress, I don't think he's the answer long term and we are really struggling for a potent striker and have been for years. I would love to see us try out one of McT or Ferguson in a False 9 role and see how they get on, what is the worse that can happen? We will then be able to fit in all of our top midfielders in this case as well as being able to play both Tierney and Robbo at the back

When fit midfield is McGregor, Mcginn, McTominay - Gilmour just behind them but was MOM Friday, Ferguson seems to be doing well in Italy but he is nowhere near the aforementionedā€¦.just leaving for Glasgow now so hoping whatever team we put out we get the win we so badly need

20 minutes ago, Andy of Lochcarron said:

When fit midfield is McGregor, Mcginn, McTominay - Gilmour just behind them but was MOM Friday, Ferguson seems to be doing well in Italy but he is nowhere near the aforementionedā€¦.just leaving for Glasgow now so hoping whatever team we put out we get the win we so badly need

I echo all of those sentiments.

28 minutes ago, Andy of Lochcarron said:

I agree, that first three are certain starters if fully fit. Then it's a case of fitting the others around them, whether some of them start or come off the bench. Ferguson, Gilmour, Christie, McLean and Armstrong will all get some playing time in Germany. Not too many folk are mentioning Armstrong in this thread, he is still a key part of this squad. I think he has more chance of starting big games than Ferguson at the moment.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I agree, that first three are certain starters if fully fit. Then it's a case of fitting the others around them, whether some of them start or come off the bench. Ferguson, Gilmour, Christie, McLean and Armstrong will all get some playing time in Germany. Not too many folk are mentioning Armstrong in this thread, he is still a key part of this squad. I think he has more chance of starting big games than Ferguson at the moment.Ā 

Yes Armstrong is a very handy squad member. He can and has made useful contributions when we have needed it. He has also been in good form for Southampton this season and has a lot of experience now at international level.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Totally agree with the Christie deeper switch, I'll be angry if Clarke doesn't try him in the position he is excelling in!Ā 

Just a note on N.I, early signs Oā€™Neil is getting a tune out of them again like his first spell. Ended their euro campaign with a statement 2-0 win v Denmark at home and looked quite strong in that game.Obvs a clean sheet away to Romania the other night. Hopefully weā€™re not hitting them at wrong time as for me we simply have to win and win well.Ā 

53 minutes ago, Andy of Lochcarron said:

Not sure I agree, I think Gilmour is a must start for me now.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

Just a note on N.I, early signs Oā€™Neil is getting a tune out of them again like his first spell. Ended their euro campaign with a statement 2-0 win v Denmark at home and looked quite strong in that game.Obvs a clean sheet away to Romania the other night. Hopefully weā€™re not hitting them at wrong time as for me we simply have to win and win well.Ā 

It was 1-1 in Romania.Ā  It'll be a hard game but its a winnable one unlike most of our recent friendlies, the sort of opposition we should be taking on in friendlies.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The side I'd start with would be:-

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Gunn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā PorteousĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  HendryĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Tierney

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  PattersonĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Robertson

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  GilmourĀ  Ā  Ā  McTominayĀ  Ā  McGinn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā FergusonĀ  Ā 

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Shankland

Ā 

Ā I'll go with this,

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Gunn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  HendryĀ  Ā  SouttarĀ  Ā Tierney

PattoĀ  Ā  Ā GilmourĀ  Ā  ChristieĀ  Ā  Ā RobboĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā McGinnĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  McTominayĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā ShanklandĀ 

I know I'll get slated after Souttar's horror show in Amsterdam but he was thrown on in a position that was alien to him when the game was beginning to get stretched .Ā  This is a friendly after all so I do hope Clarke gives him another chance, not just for the players sake but because we are really thin on the ground for decent options at the back.Ā 

Ā Ā 

5 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Ā I'll go with this,

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Gunn

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  HendryĀ  Ā  SouttarĀ  Ā Tierney

PattoĀ  Ā  Ā GilmourĀ  Ā  ChristieĀ  Ā  Ā RobboĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā McGinnĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  McTominayĀ 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā ShanklandĀ 

I know I'll get slated after Souttar's horror show in Amsterdam but he was thrown on in a position that was alien to him when the game was beginning to get stretched .Ā  This is a friendly after all so I do hope Clarke gives him another chance, not just for the players sake but because we are really thin on the ground for decent options at the back.Ā 

Ā Ā 

Iā€™d be happy with this. Donā€™t think Porteous has done much to deserve being dropped, heā€™s surprised me since heā€™s come in and is still of an age where he can improve but I donā€™t think Souttar should be written off. If heā€™s having a nightmare get Porto on.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Iā€™d be happy with this. Donā€™t think Porteous has done much to deserve being dropped, heā€™s surprised me since heā€™s come in and is still of an age where he can improve but I donā€™t think Souttar should be written off. If heā€™s having a nightmare get Porto on.

Yeh I agree on Porto, reckon he is a better man on man defender than Hendry but as Northern Irelands attack is lead by a guy that plays for Stevenage borough we shouldn't be tested too much. Hendry due to being good on the ball & can break forward to support Patto hopefully.