Kenny Dalglish... How good was he 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kenny Dalglish... How good was he 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/ZrnqdfarStj3dnxv/?mibextid=D5vuiz

Coming from a not so bad footballer himself... Regrettably I never saw alot of Kenny because I emigrated to Canada and television never showed the matches.. How good was he? What was his best skill for those that seen him play? I'm sure he is the greatest Scottish footballer ever....🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

8 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/ZrnqdfarStj3dnxv/?mibextid=D5vuiz

Coming from a not so bad footballer himself... Regrettably I never saw alot of Kenny because I emigrated to Canada and television never showed the matches.. How good was he? What was his best skill for those that seen him play? I'm sure he is the greatest Scottish footballer ever....🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

McGinn learned his talent of backing in & arse rolling opponents, king Kenny was the master of itπŸ‘

Only on occasions he replicated his outstanding club form with Scotland

Definitely one of the greatest players of these isles

Best Scotland player ever. Most people who saw him would agree.

Two of the best goals scored by Scotland players, away to Belgium, home to Spain. Plus two winners against England. Turned up at almost every international game, cause of the 102 caps.

Outstanding for clubs and country.

Where do we stop the plaudits? Wish we had someone like him every decade since.Β 

Β 

11 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Best Scotland player ever. Most people who saw him would agree.

Two of the best goals scored by Scotland players, away to Belgium, home to Spain. Plus two winners against England. Turned up at almost every international game, cause of the 102 caps.

Outstanding for clubs and country.

Where do we stop the plaudits? Wish we had someone like him every decade since.Β 

Β 

Proper mate. So it's safe to say King Kenny was world class and could have played anywhere in Europe with the big clubs? We will never see another like him unfortunately. Very well respected footballer aswell. I have never heard of read a bad word about him.. 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 2/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Proper mate. So it's safe to say King Kenny was world class and could have played anywhere in Europe with the big clubs? We will never see another like him unfortunately. Very well respected footballer aswell. I have never heard of read a bad word about him.. 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Yes he could've, but why would he? He was already playing for one of, if not the biggest club in Europe.Β πŸ‘

He was comfortably my biggest non-St.Mirren footballing hero growing up.Β 

Edited by Marky

19 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

102 caps and 30 goals.

Most capped Scotland player ever and joint best Scotland goalscorer ever.

There's a reason for those stats - KD achieved them on pure merit.

The stats fully reflect how good he was.

Β 

I'm not sure that is right and as i said above his International form was always a shadow of his club form

Bobby Charlton had 106 caps and 49 goals for example

Dalglish was never a talisman for Scotland until near the end of his International career in the mid 80s

He received plenty criticism at the time along with the plaudits - probably because of the expectation put on his shoulders

There is no getting away from him being the greatest Scottish club player though - his consistency was incredible

Β 

Two footed, could hold the ball up, great vision.

I often thought he was a couple of moves ahead when playing for Scotland.

Liverpool fans thought Keegan would never be replaced but they ended up with a big upgrade.

Β 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:10 PM, prideothenorth said:

Two footed, could hold the ball up, great vision.

I often thought he was a couple of moves ahead when playing for Scotland.

Liverpool fans thought Keegan would never be replaced but they ended up with a big upgrade.

Β 

Exactly my thought. His best days with Scotland were with the inclusion of players like Souness and Strachan who were on a similar wavelength to him.Β 

Still outstanding before that though IMO.

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Exactly my thought. His best days with Scotland were with the inclusion of players like Souness and Strachan who were on a similar wavelength to him.Β 

Still outstanding before that though IMO.

His best days were when he became the target man and had the likes of Johnston, Nicholas and McAvennie playing off him rather than him playing off Jordan.Β  That and Jock Stein running out of patience with him at the 82 WC.Β  He showed flashes of brilliance up to that point, but after it he moved up several levels and became the player in dark blue we all knew he could be.

Souness and Strachan weren't an upgrade on what we had available in the mid-70's IMO.

16 hours ago, daviebee said:

His best days were when he became the target man and had the likes of Johnston, Nicholas and McAvennie playing off him rather than him playing off Jordan.Β  That and Jock Stein running out of patience with him at the 82 WC.Β  He showed flashes of brilliance up to that point, but after it he moved up several levels and became the player in dark blue we all knew he could be.

Souness and Strachan weren't an upgrade on what we had available in the mid-70's IMO.

He only played about a dozen of his games after the 82 WC.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think this was meant as ball into feet (and head) to link up play. He was unbelievably good at flicking balls on to send the striker clean through.

Ian Rush would agree with this.

Speaks volumes of the man to say that he is glad the Welsh defender was credited with the goal as it keeps him on level goals with his hero Denis Law.Β 

I was at that match and was going in anyway. Today would have been a clear Dalglish goal.Β 

Β 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:37 PM, daviebee said:

this is what I remember about Dalglish. Β My memories start around 1978 and I remember DAlglish not being in the team on many occasions. Β We would be playing with Jordan, Brazil, Gray, Archibald up front after 1980. I can’t remember him playing when we beat England in 1981. I do remember the goal against Spain in 1984 and against Israel in 1981. Β It almost felt a special occasion when he played. Β I don’t recall him playing much in the 82 World Cup when he was at his peak.

Β 

I always felt a kind of uneasy relationship between him and Jock Stein like Stein was almost never convinced and didn’t always play him.

Β 

Β 

On 2/18/2024 at 3:12 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I'm not sure that is right and as i said above his International form was always a shadow of his club form

Bobby Charlton had 106 caps and 49 goals for example

Dalglish was never a talisman for Scotland until near the end of his International career in the mid 80s

He received plenty criticism at the time along with the plaudits - probably because of the expectation put on his shoulders

There is no getting away from him being the greatest Scottish club player though - his consistency was incredible

Β 

But the paradox of Dalglish is that while he was without peer in midfield in the domestic game, he never quite produced the same level of performance on the international stage.

He was the hottest property in British football in 1978 when he went to the World Cup in Argentina. It was a nightmare for Scotland. They lost their opening match 3-1 to Peru and Willie Johnston was sent home after failing a drugs test.

It got worse. Scotland drew 1-1 with no-hopers Iran. Then, when all was lost, Scotland astonished everyone by beating the "total football" aristocrats of Holland 3-2, Dalglish getting his name on the scoresheet.

In the wake of World Cup failure, Scotland manager Ally McLeod was sacked and replaced by the legendary Stein - Dalglish's old mentor. Stein made Dalglish captain, but it was not a happy time.

Dalglish's reign lasted just four games, losing three, before he was replaced as captain by Archie Gemmill.

The 1982 World Cup in Spain was no better. Dalglish scored in the 5-2 defeat of New Zealand but, by his own admission, played badly. He came on as a substitute against Brazil, but only when Scotland were 3-1 down, and was left out for the 2-2 draw with the Soviet Union.

No-one, least of all Dalglish, has sufficiently explained why he failed to make more of an impact in international football. That he had the talent is beyond question, but his failure meant that he was never rated as highly abroad as he was in Britain.

Liverpool, however, saw the best of him. After that World Cup shambles of 1978, he was inspirational as the Reds regained their League title with a record number of points - 68, under the old two-for-a-win system. They were undefeated at home and at the end of a 42-match programme had conceded just 16 goals.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:39 PM, Malcolm said:

this is what I remember about Dalglish. Β My memories start around 1978 and I remember DAlglish not being in the team on many occasions.Β Β 

Β 

Kenny Dalglish was in every Scotland team from May 1976 to February 1981. A 43 game record for consecutive caps.

He did miss a few games v England in the 80s, as mentioned in the above interview, due to them clashing with the European Cup final.

Β