General Election 2024 - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2024

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If Labour dont get a majority it will be like Celtic losing the league to a 9 man Rangers.
It will take a helluva lot of disgruntled Tories to shit the bed at the last moment to bring a hung parliament IMO. 
But you are right, the SNP need to be prepared for the possibility. 

What if Reform decide not to stand too many candidates, for what ever reason? This is still a possibility especially if they can get rid of Sunak before the election.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

What if Reform decide not to stand too many candidates, for what ever reason? This is still a possibility especially if they can get rid of Sunak before the election.

What is the polling for Reform? I haven’t taken much notice of them admittedly.

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Not sure but it was enough, they said, in the local elections in England, to noticeably depress the Tory vote, in the seats where they stood

12 hours ago, exile said:

Not sure but it was enough, they said, in the local elections in England, to noticeably depress the Tory vote, in the seats where they stood

I imagine Reform would be looking for a promise of more far right pish in return for not standing candidates . That may increase the far right Tory vote  but would it not perhaps chase any centre Tories to Labour? Thats if there are any centre Tories left i suppose. 

On 5/8/2024 at 3:07 PM, TDYER63 said:

They are currently polling higher than the Lib Dems at about 12%. 

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They are currently polling higher than the Lib Dems at about 12%. 

They, like the Lib Dems, will get squeezed during the actual campaign

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

They, like the Lib Dems, will get squeezed during the actual campaign

They won't win any seats but they can have a big impact on how many seats the Tories win.

When the Labour party welcomes with open arms Natalie Elphicke, but threatens to throw out Dianne Abbot, it tells you all you need to know about Starmer's New New Labour. I actually think he might be more right wing than Sunak.

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They won't win any seats but they can have a big impact on how many seats the Tories win.

Aye, and when the Tories who say they're going to vote for them realise this, they'll switch back to the party with the chance of winning. Happens every election

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

When the Labour party welcomes with open arms Natalie Elphicke, but threatens to throw out Dianne Abbot, it tells you all you need to know about Starmer's New New Labour. I actually think he might be more right wing than Sunak.

Hopefully that'll put off those in Scotland considering Labour. 

35 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Hopefully that'll put off those in Scotland considering Labour. 

When the Chair of the Labour Party says a right wing Tory MP is 'a good, natural fit', when Starmer says Labour is the Party of English patriotism, when Lammy describes Thatcher as 'visionary'...It would certainly put me off if I still voted Labour!

28 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

When the Chair of the Labour Party says a right wing Tory MP is 'a good, natural fit', when Starmer says Labour is the Party of English patriotism, when Lammy describes Thatcher as 'visionary'...It would certainly put me off if I still voted Labour!

All this will be old news and irrelevant come the time of the election.

Last night I watched John McTernan sitting with a wry smile when your point was put to him by Kirsty Wark.

He knows that what 'punches through' is another Tory jumping ship to Labour. Only us political anoraks understand the true meaning of it

To paraphrase the old adage: Political parties don't win elections. Governments lose them.

Labour will win by default.

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I suppose the problem so many in England have is the lack of political choices if you:-

A. Want rid of the Tory government.

B. Do not see Labour as anything more that Tory in red clothing.

The rise of the Reform Party too is not the answer for many ex-Labour voters. Outwith that you have the Lib Dems who are unpalatable to many. Seems to me a yawning chasm that a new party could exploit.

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I suppose the problem so many in England have is the lack of political choices if you:-

A. Want rid of the Tory government.

B. Do not see Labour as anything more that Tory in red clothing.

The rise of the Reform Party too is not the answer for many ex-Labour voters. Outwith that you have the Lib Dems who are unpalatable to many. Seems to me a yawning chasm that a new party could exploit.

WPGB.

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

He's on one today about the migrant crossings. 

At least Sunak doesn't try and pretend he's not right wing. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's on one today about the migrant crossings. 

At least Sunak doesn't try and pretend he's not right wing. 

Seems like Starmer is pretty close to giving up pretending as well. 🤣

Starmer is right of centre, pretty much a Tory if not quite as extreme as the current Tories but not far off it.  There are so many issues which could be exploited at the GE to destroy Labour in Scotland.