General Election 2024 - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2024

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

The phrase 'trickle down economics' is exactly what came to mind when reading Malcolm's pish.

Malcolm, simply cutting taxes to the wealthy doesn't stimulate economic growth as much as you think it does. Most of the wealthy hoard that money than reinvest it.

You only need to look at the Truss/Kwarteng budget to see the result of cutting taxes and magically thinking that will be enough for the economy to grow. The bond market didn't buy it, which caused the currency to be devalued, and the UK pension market had to be saved by a £60bn Bank of England intervention.

I don’t disagree with that at all.  Tax cutting has to be done sensibly as part of a plan for growth.  

what we are talking about here is tax rises in SCOTLAND to pay for a mixture of inflation,  incompetence, and lack of growth in the Scottish economy. 

We should be all over the oil industry and exploiting our natural resources for example.   Rewarding tech companies and bio tech companies to set up here. I was in Cambridge and it’s quite phenomenal the investment that has gone in to bio tech there - we really are playing at in Scotland.  Which takes me back to the lack of serious politicians in our parliament.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

If the Times article is true about Ian Blackford it confirms a few things for me I feel I already knew.

He should be suspended from the party.  SNP are the party of Scottish independence, to suggest joining the unelected House of Lords is an utter disgrace.  It's an opinion that goes to the heart of their raison d'etre.

Just when I thought the pendulum had swung for me to hold my nose and vote SNP, i'm unsure again.

What's the quotes in the Times article, behind a paywall for me.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

the argument on property prices is irrelevant.  Most professional jobs nowadays can be done anywhere in the UK if not globally, and we are now at a significant competitive disadvantage to our neighbours.  It’s not for fun that virtually every business consortium in Scotland signed the open letter from scottish enterprise.

As someone in this position, can you please expand on how house prices are irrelevant?  It's clear cut prices of affordable homes versus your wage is relevant.  A mansion in Pollokshields versus a shoe box in London is a decision people have to make.  The interest / value / amenity of the house has a huge impact on quality of life.  

For the record, I'm not convinced you earn anything like what you claim to.  There's no way you're working full time on a top 2% salary and posting non stop on here unless you are extremely lucky.

Scottish business have signed petitions such as this since the year dot and similar organisation do the same in many other countries.  This is not new.  Scotland, like all european countries, is playing around at the margins.  We are not a huge outlier.

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

As someone in this position, can you please expand on how house prices are irrelevant?  It's clear cut prices of affordable homes versus your wage is relevant.  A mansion in Pollokshields versus a shoe box in London is a decision people have to make.  The interest / value / amenity of the house has a huge impact on quality of life.  

For the record, I'm not convinced you earn anything like what you claim to.  There's no way you're working full time on a top 2% salary and posting non stop on here unless you are extremely lucky.

Scottish business have signed petitions such as this since the year dot and similar organisation do the same in many other countries.  This is not new.  Scotland, like all european countries, is playing around at the margins.  We are not a huge outlier.

For the record, I have not and would never state what I earn on here, it’s nobody else’s business.  You also clearly have a very limited and stereotyped view of how people work.  

House prices are irrelevant to how the tax rate should be set.  They are an outcome of that and the supply to the market. we haven’t built enough houses.  House prices are purely a function of supply and demand.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

it is absolutely not cheap to live in Edinburgh and my job or proportion of it would almost certainly be replaced in London or surrounding area so the tax income will be  lost to Scottish Government.

Nobody said Edinburgh was cheap but Scotland is more than just Edinburgh. And more than just you for that matter. And its certainly cheaper than London if we are comparing like for like places .
How do you know where your job would be filled? You are making assumptions. If you are so sure your job will be filled outside Scotland then the SG will lose the income anyway regardless of what their tax bands are. There is absolutely no way I am buying that you are threatening to go part time. cutting your income dramatically, spending your days wandering round Harvey Nics , just  to save a couple of grand in tax. 

the argument on property prices is irrelevant.  Most professional jobs nowadays can be done anywhere in the UK if not globally, and we are now at a significant competitive disadvantage to our neighbours.  It’s not for fun that virtually every business consortium in Scotland signed the open letter from scottish enterprise.

How many professional jobs do you think are actually done by people who don’t live in the country? 
And strangely enough , within the UK, Scotland has only been behind London in terms of inward investment from abroad for the past god knows how many years in a row . Ask Scottish enterprise they are usually keen to advertise this  

whether someone is wealthy in your eyes and should be paying more is also irrelevant it’s about our competitive position and encouraging work.  Call me selfish if you like - I’m not here to make money for the snp for them to then waste it.  I’d rather sit on my arse.  The marginal rate for top earners is almost at 50% which is staggering.

So my view is irrelevant but yours isnt? How do you know what people are prepared to pay in tax ? Absolutely no one wants to pay money to be wasted. But thats not the argument here you are talking about tax bands .

Nobody on this board will convince me that the current tax regime is sensible.  We should be aligned to Uk tax rates or very very close. Follow this path to madness and you will have nobody making money and people living off their investments or benefits.

No one will ever agree on tax regimes as some folk dont want to pay any tax, some a little , and some are comfortable paying more if they can still have a decent living . There will be countries with lower taxes than the UK ( exc Scotland) yet people invest in and work there. 

Nobody on this board will convince me that the current tax regime is sensible.  We should be aligned to Uk tax rates or very very close. Follow this path to madness and you will have nobody making money and people living off their investments or benefits.

Screaming Daily Mail headline .I am still waiting on that average  £10k pa  household energy bill you promised .

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

House prices are irrelevant to how the tax rate should be set.  They are an outcome of that and the supply to the market. we haven’t built enough houses.  House prices are purely a function of supply and demand.

It may be not be directly relevant to the actual setting of tax bands but houses  are absolutely  relevant  when looking at the overall big picture of people’s finances. Houses are by far  the single biggest outgoing  a person will have . If someone in area X can save £5k a year on mortgage interest compared to someone in area Y they are far more likely to be prepared to pay £2k more in tax. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We should be all over the oil industry and exploiting our natural resources for example.   Rewarding tech companies and bio tech companies to set up here. I was in Cambridge and it’s quite phenomenal the investment that has gone in to bio tech there - we really are playing at in Scotland.  Which takes me back to the lack of serious politicians in our parliament.  

So some exploitation is good. Just not big earners? 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

You also clearly have a very limited and stereotyped view of how people work.

Haha, that is quite the assumption and so wrong it's hilarious👍

The point Ms TDYR was making, which you've studiously avoided, despite being your entire schtick... is wealthy people weigh up more than income tax in their decision making.  Which includes mortgage outgoings relative to the quality of the home.  its entirely relevant to bring cost of living into the equation.  

The idea people will move, all .1% of them because of having to pay more in one thing while getting more in another thing isn't credible and hasn't been borne out.  Yes people have a moan but actions are different things.  If anything I know more professionals moving to Scotland because of the quality of life on offer for the measly homes they would get down south.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

If the Times article is true about Ian Blackford it confirms a few things for me I feel I already knew.

He should be suspended from the party.  SNP are the party of Scottish independence, to suggest joining the unelected House of Lords is an utter disgrace.  It's an opinion that goes to the heart of their raison d'etre.

Just when I thought the pendulum had swung for me to hold my nose and vote SNP, i'm unsure again.

I don’t  like Ian Blackford and  I cant get the Times piece as has paywall but this  from the Herald suggests its been twisted out of context. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24072859.house-lords-snp-will-never-take-seat/

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I don’t  like Ian Blackford and  I cant get the Times piece as has paywall but this  from the Herald suggests its been twisted out of context. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24072859.house-lords-snp-will-never-take-seat/

I take some of it back.  The guy is as much a mischief maker as the journos though.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

He could be Malcolm! 🙂

I think Malcolm sells pyramid schemes for a living as that what he seems to be advocating in his horoscope quality economic posts above. The UK is already a big ponzi scheme anyway. Not sure why folk like that don't move down South if the incompetence/tax bands here are so staggering. There's also about 20 different versions of the Reform Party to choose from on each ballot paper...

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

GEpFOVkXEAAO__6.jpg.257649f64c57e590526657735c4b81b1.jpg

This is what scotland is up against with the media. It was bad during the referendum and someone us said it would get worse as westminster did their best to smash independence into the ground. 

Politicians like salmond and sturgeon who may or may not have done wrong are left with no reputation whilst politicians in England who have done far worse enjoy elevated careers and celebrity status

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This is what scotland is up against with the media. It was bad during the referendum and someone us said it would get worse as westminster did their best to smash independence into the ground. 

Politicians like salmond and sturgeon who may or may not have done wrong are left with no reputation whilst politicians in England who have done far worse enjoy elevated careers and celebrity status

Pretty disappointed with Joanna Cherry too . She should know better than jump in without clarification. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Pretty disappointed with Joanna Cherry too . She should know better than jump in without clarification. 

Absolutely, independence supporters who buy into this should know better than anyone how hard London will make this fight, scotland is Londons final cash cow, once scotland goes they have nothing.

If scotland was genuinely subsidised like so many English toffs and unionists believe, why the fuck would London hang on to scotland? 

As I said yesterday in the other thread

"

He made comments about wanting an elected second chamber in an independent Scotland. Then Cherry made a twitter post about wanting a peerage in the House of Lords.

Uncritically parrotting what you read on social media isn't a good way to be informed about anything. The SNP is imploding as all empires do when they don't have leaders strong enough to remain cohesive. I'd pay little mind to the petty bickering around this rather than picking a side and amplifying their pettiness."

It's party bickering now, a lot of embittered former allies just bring petty as fuck.

Edited by phart

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sometimes I think it might be Joanna who is one of the establishment plants inside the SNP. She's not thick so she must know what she is doing here. 

She is having a spat, so logic and reason go out the window. She also had a case of a guilty conscience needs no accuser when Black spoke about folk getting too comfortable and thought it was about her. She's in subcommitees etc.