General Election 2024 - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2024

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

We do not need any lords anywhere near our Parliament either now or in the future.

a second chamber as a check and balance won't be the lords though. There's a plethora of options that isn't unelected and/or aristocracy.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aaid missing in action or blocked me? Maybe pre-occupied

He or she hasn't posted since pre Christmas. I hope they're alright 

54 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He or she hasn't posted since pre Christmas. I hope they're alright 

I would hope he ( I think aaid is a bloke) will be celebrating Maidstone’s result yesterday. Not sure if he is a big supporter but he goes to their games. 

Maybe he is talking a bit of time off of here. He was getting it a bit from all sides before he stopped posting. Not without good reason on occasions,  but he is a good poster I do hope everything is ok. 

Edited by TDYER63

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I would hope he ( I think aaid is a bloke) will be celebrating Maidstone’s result yesterday. Not sure if he is a big supporter but he goes to their games. 

Maybe he is talking a bit of time off of here. He was getting it a bit from all sides before he stopped posting. Not for good reason on occasions,  but he is a good poster I do hope everything is ok. 

I thought it was maidenhead he went to watch

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I thought it was maidenhead he went to watch

Ah so it is, I am a fanny 😂 
All these ‘maids’ sound the same to me 😁

In that case I simply hope he is ok . 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ah so it is, I am a fanny 😂 
All these ‘maids’ sound the same to me 😁

In that case I simply hope he is ok . 

😆 🤣 😂 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone correct me if I'm being thick or get me up to speed please?

On here there's a lot of doom and gloom about the snp chances at the GE but on twatter and my good feed I see the snp smashing it in Scotland. What am I missing?

If the snp get more or the same seat I'm westminster, I'd like to see them walk out and do a Sinn fein by never returning. By going their they give credence to a government who refuses to allow scotland to vote for it independence and let's be honest, they get mocked and ignored whatever they say anyway because the English MPs think the jocks are beneath them

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Can someone correct me if I'm being thick or get me up to speed please?

On here there's a lot of doom and gloom about the snp chances at the GE but on twatter and my good feed I see the snp smashing it in Scotland. What am I missing?

I think it's mainly due to the fact that a lot of current SNP seats are held by fairly small majorities. It doesn't need much of a swing away from SNP in order to lose them. They are victims of their own success form last time round. I think they won 9 out of 10 of their target seats last time round, which was pretty impressive, although it was never going to be reported that way.

SNP got 45% of the vote which gave them 48 seats, whilst Labour were way down below 20%. That was an all time low for them. Labour probably only need to get back to 30% to start winning back loads of those marginal seats. I don't think the boundary changes will do the SNP any favours either. On top of that, there is the possibility of the electorate getting more savvy about tactical voting. If their hatred of the SNP can be built up strongly enough by the media (which seems to be working) then some folk will be prepared to vote for anybody to get at the SNP. 

If SNP hold on to any more than 30 of the 57 seats on offer then they will have done very well. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

On top of that, there is the possibility of the electorate getting more savvy about tactical voting. If their hatred of the SNP can be built up strongly enough by the media (which seems to be working) then some folk will be prepared to vote for anybody to get at the SNP. 

It's grim how well that media stoking works in terms of hatred for the far less damaging entity within many current affairs. Whether that's the SNP, Meghan Markle or refugees, it's the same tactic.

I think the bigger issue might be low turnout, folk are so scunnered with it all. Struggling financially, mentally or physically then this pisstaking in our face every day. There's a definite sense of "they're all as bad as each other" again being driven by 'Operation Scotland is Worse'. 

4 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

It's grim how well that media stoking works in terms of hatred for the far less damaging entity within many current affairs. Whether that's the SNP, Meghan Markle or refugees, it's the same tactic.

I think the bigger issue might be low turnout, folk are so scunnered with it all. Struggling financially, mentally or physically then this pisstaking in our face every day. There's a definite sense of "they're all as bad as each other" again being driven by 'Operation Scotland is Worse'. 

I agree with this. However if people choose not to vote they cant really complain about the consequences . Whether it’s a unionist government or just shit governance generally by whoever gets in by default .

People can only vote for who is available, if they don’t like the choices they should put themselves forward for the job. 

24 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Aye, that will be a big factor as well. Traditionally the SNP have been fairly good at getting the vote out, but it's going to be much harder this time round, especially once the UK establishment get their propaganda machine into full action. 

We are in a war of independence and the British state will do whatever it takes to stop us winning it, up to and including murder (see Willie McRae), & persecution of high profile indy leaders (A. Salmond).  They control the mainstream media.  Incessant promotion of Labour as some sort of saviour riding to rescue Scotland from the evil Tories, when Labour are every bit as bad.  Sarwar given an easy ride in interviews and pushed as a credible first minister ffs.  Just what Scotland needs, a multi-millionaire FM and a Sir Starmer as PM.  And still the naysayers do down Scotland at every turn.

I have to say that Yousaf's "kick the Tories out" line for the UK election doesn't seem very sensible.  He seems to have missed the fact that voting Labour in Scotland would do much the same as voting SNP with regard to the specific aim of ousting the Tories.  Yousaf needs to offer indy as a reason for voting SNP or there's no point.  Go soft on indy and the game's a bogey.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

😆 🤣 😂 

Screenshot_20240319_190058_Brave.jpg

Things are that bad that people think that life in Thatcher's time was alright 

It was for the wealthy dumbass - everyone else not so much

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Things are that bad that people think that life in Thatcher's time was alright 

It was for the wealthy dumbass - everyone else not so much

Did she say that before, or after Stephan Flynn took the piss out of them in the HoC?

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Did she say that before, or after Stephan Flynn took the piss out of them in the HoC?

That was me saying it to her (and everyone else that was feeling false nostalgia)

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought VDA posted that. Have you got two logins? 😉

I have three after retiring Aaid's ...