Roll on June - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Roll on June

Redbairn

Don't know about anyone else but since the draw and getting my tickets, I am absolutely buzzing for this to start. Have not been to a tournament since Italy '90, that was an experience and I know that this one next year is going to be special. Looking forward to the banter, laughs and us getting out of the group stage. Time to make tens of thousand TA and a country very happy. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

47 minutes ago, Redbairn said:

Don't know about anyone else but since the draw and getting my tickets, I am absolutely buzzing for this to start. Have not been to a tournament since Italy '90, that was an experience and I know that this one next year is going to be special. Looking forward to the banter, laughs and us getting out of the group stage. Time to make tens of thousand TA and a country very happy. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Great post m8! I’m absolutely buzzing for what i expect might be the last proper tournament for a long time, maybe ever. 
Between them FIFA and UEFA are going to ruin these tournaments forever I feel, but Deutschland ‘24 is going to be done the right way and it’s going to be awesome!

I would love to go but being brutally honest and with a few exceptions it's a young man's game going on tour.

Have been at Italia 90, Sweden 92, England 96 and France 98 plus umpteen away games and thinking back gives me the fear if i was to try that now rather than feeling jealous

That's why i'm poofing it over to Benidorm for 12 days to watch it there albeit the boozers will be extra busy 

These days if i get pished on the plane i feel like shite for the rest of the holiday

Completely agree - this is my third tournament (done Italia 1990 & Euro 1996) hopefully we finally (finally) get out the group stage of a major tournament.

I have heard many of my friends guess how many will travel over (we will have a guaranteed 10,000 fans in each ground (at least), some have said 70,000, others have said 100,000 😄, I reckon we will take over approx 30,000 ??

Thoughts ?

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I would love to go but being brutally honest and with a few exceptions it's a young man's game going on tour.

Have been at Italia 90, Sweden 92, England 96 and France 98 plus umpteen away games and thinking back gives me the fear if i was to try that now rather than feeling jealous

That's why i'm poofing it over to Benidorm for 12 days to watch it there albeit the boozers will be extra busy 

These days if i get pished on the plane i feel like shite for the rest of the holiday

Agree with you with it being a young mans game, always has been really 😂 For one of the first times in my life, I shall have to be disciplined ( easier said than done ) as I really want to savour as much of this opportunity as I can. Especially the Opening Ceremony. But as they say one 🍺 leads to another 🍺 and so on 😉

1 hour ago, glasgow jock said:

Completely agree - this is my third tournament (done Italia 1990 & Euro 1996) hopefully we finally (finally) get out the group stage of a major tournament.

I have heard many of my friends guess how many will travel over (we will have a guaranteed 10,000 fans in each ground (at least), some have said 70,000, others have said 100,000 😄, I reckon we will take over approx 30,000 ??

Thoughts ?

We'll have a hell of a lot more than 30,000.  I said 100,000 and i don't think itll be far off it. 

Majority of the folk i know that are going haven't got tickets yet (or not through SSC). 

Seems like every man and their dug are going. Out the group chat with me and my mates from School, i'm the only one that goes regularly to watch Scotland, some do occasionally and some never. Out the 12 of us, 8 are going to Germany. I'd say that'll be pretty common, especially our age (late 30s) where it's the first chance of a proper tournament overseas. 

We had 20,000+ in Paris and this feels a million times bigger crowd wise. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

I feel like it's consuming my every thought at the moment, constantly on Sky Scanner, Booking.com, ordering new retro jerseys etc.

Cant wait for Christmas when my son finds out that he and him are going to Munich, I've told him that we never got tickets, so he'll be over the moon 

2 minutes ago, HelloJock said:

I feel like it's consuming my every thought at the moment, constantly on Sky Scanner, Booking.com, ordering new retro jerseys etc.

Cant wait for Christmas when my son finds out that he and him are going to Munich, I've told him that we never got tickets, so he'll be over the moon 

Class mate, that's what it's all about. 

12 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

I'm spending so much time on Google Maps checking out all the cities, accommodation and bars, that by the time June comes, I'll be to find my way round blindfolded.

Yeah same, got the Uber estimate website on constantly as well so I know what fares should be between my hotels and each stadium haha

Was at Italian  90 and France 98 but loads up to age late 40s will have never seen us in a major tournament so I’m expecting 50k +. Very much looking forward to this. Could be me last opportunity 

we’ve got 7 twin rooms Augsburg for first game and none got tickets yet and I know many others in same boat. 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We'll have a hell of a lot more than 30,000.  I said 100,000 and i don't think itll be far off it. 

Have to agree

We must have had 30,000 in Genoa at Italia 90 for the Sweden game and getting to Southern Europe cheaply was nowhere as easy as it is now never mind that this one is in Northern Europe.

France 98 was a bit weird - there were loads of Scotland fans but it was sporadic at times

The most we had was in Bordeaux

2 hours ago, HelloJock said:

Good wan.... 👍The wee man'll burst..

5 hours ago, Redbairn said:

Agree with you with it being a young mans game, always has been really 😂 For one of the first times in my life, I shall have to be disciplined ( easier said than done ) as I really want to savour as much of this opportunity as I can. Especially the Opening Ceremony. But as they say one 🍺 leads to another 🍺 and so on 😉

You’re as young as you feel, admittedly as you become more experienced you do piss far more often, need more sleep & take longer to recover from any excess’s. 18 till I die 👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

4 hours ago, HelloJock said:

He’ll be blown away, great Xmas present for him 🥳🥳🥳

5 hours ago, HelloJock said:

That is ultra cool. Nearly brought a tear to my ee. Was gonna post it to my family chat but dinnae want my boys (26 and 21) disappointed on Christmas day ! Really brilliant thing to do. Let us all know how it goes down. 

I was a 15 year old kid when we got to France 98. 

My dad had taken me to games at Hampden as early as the Italia 90 campaign. I remember really getting into it in qualifying games for Euro 96 and more so France 98 when I got to high school age. Away games were never even a reality at that stage though. I remember trying the France 98 ticket hotline on redial about a million times. Think if we’d actually managed to get tickets, my dad would’ve had a heart attack at the prospect of how we could manage it. 🤣

A few months after France ‘98, I joined the STC (needing a letter or consent from my mum). Got to my first away game in Prague ‘99 on a bus that picked up at St.George’s Cross underground for the long journey ahead, a matter of hours after our disappointing away draw with the Faroes(?).  

Over 50 away games later. Many more downs than ups, but good times and lots of friendships and memories along the way. 

41 year old now. Safe to say that this is the one I’ve been waiting for. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

10 hours ago, HelloJock said:

A good few tears of joy in your hoose on Monday. You'll have to scrape him aff the ceiling. Cracking surprise for your laddie@HelloJock👏👏

Great thread , as I too have never been so up for a finals in my puff. 
The Christmas present of the Munich game is a golden ticket, well done that man. 
Like most I’ll be heading over without briefs intending to be in Munich, Koln and Stuttgart on the vital days. If there’s one country capable of running the trains for the tournament then Germany is it. 
Not a clue about travel and accommodation yet as the options are too many still. 

On 12/22/2023 at 10:23 AM, HelloJock said:

Absolutely love this 👍

This is going to be my first tournament attending watching Scotland and first ever tournament in general, never fancied going to a tournament without Scotland competing, had the chance to go to 2006 and 2010 World Cup games but said no, I'll be turning 45 in January, I've always supported the national team with a passion, the 1st tournament I can remember watching was Mexico 86 but only vaguely, Italia 90 was the first one I can really remember, by the time France 98 came round my mates and I had just turned 19, the feeling watching us in the opening game was unbelievable, at that time none of us had any intention to go to France as we couldn't afford to travel so we settled for watching the opener v Brazil in one of the boys house when his mum and dad were away on holiday, I don't get to attend as many games as I'd like to these days as I live and work overseas but got tickets for the 3 group games, it's going to be surreal watching us in the opener v Germany and I cannot wait