Friendlies pre euros - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendlies pre euros

loanhead-tartan

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ireland had about 30,000 inside the stadium for one of their games a few years back. I think that was in Poland? It was reckoned that there were about 100,000 of them in France for euro 2016. Although they may have borrowed the Celtic Seville calculator, right enough.

100,.000.Think they are in the land of make believe there. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Ireland had about 30,000 inside the stadium for one of their games a few years back. I think that was in Poland? It was reckoned that there were about 100,000 of them in France for euro 2016. Although they may have borrowed the Celtic Seville calculator, right enough.

Knock out game?

I got Glasgow to Amsterdam on Fri via Geneva for 50 quid

Bought on Monday.

Home on sat via Dublin. Was only 20 to Dublin but then 70 to Glasgow...

@150 all in. 

Easy jet and Ryan air 👍

19 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Got Edinburgh > Amsterdam > Edinburgh for £84 before it was officially announced thanks to a wee bit insider knowledge 

Similary Edinburgh > Dublin > Faro > Dublin > Edinburgh for £186

Good to be in the know! 😜

I took a punt the night before the announcement as the rumours of Amsterdam seemed to be firming up. £120 return from Edinburgh, so you and not too many others must have been ahead of me in the queue. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of the squad we should name. Clarke should be looking at areas that he is not 100% pleased with. The midfield takes care of itself, the goalkeeping department could do with bolstering, the centre of defence sort of takes care of itself but may be worth looking for other options too and the strikers more chances have to be given to others not looked at properly.

For me get Craig Gordon back in as back-up. Centre of defence maybe look at Hyam or another option but generally not much to change. Up front Shankland needs to be given real match time and Ryan Fraser should be recalled too.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For me get Craig Gordon back in as back-up. Centre of defence maybe look at Hyam or another option but generally not much to change. Up front Shankland needs to be given real match time and Ryan Fraser should be recalled too.

Not sure Gordon gets back in while not first choice at tynecastle

9 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Not sure Gordon gets back in while not first choice at tynecastle

Fair enough but imagine Angus Gunn breaking a finger leading up to the Euros I would sure as hell rather have Craig Gordon with all his experience between the sticks V Germany than Zander Clark or Liam Kelly.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but imagine Angus Gunn breaking a finger leading up to the Euros I would sure as hell rather have Craig Gordon with all his experience between the sticks V Germany than Zander Clark or Liam Kelly.

Craig Gordon of a year ago maybe, he’s not at that level at the moment otherwise he’d be in goal for Hertz

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thinking of the squad we should name. Clarke should be looking at areas that he is not 100% pleased with. The midfield takes care of itself, the goalkeeping department could do with bolstering, the centre of defence sort of takes care of itself but may be worth looking for other options too and the strikers more chances have to be given to others not looked at properly.

Got a horrible feeling Clarke might persist with Brown and leave Fraser out.

10 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

No disrespect but i just can't see based on his goalscoring record for club and his lack of ability to force his way into the Scotland team that Brown should be anywhere near the squad for the euros. Think it would be a waste of a squad place. To have three forwards who between them have scored 14 goals in six months would be ridiculous. Dykes and Adams have contributed in the past but to me Brown is a step too far and a waste of a crucial squad spot. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No matter how much he looks after himself he's 41, so I can't see him getting back into the Hearts or Scotland team. If he does, that will say a lot about Zander Clark.

8 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

We don't play with wingers so Fraser would have to be behind the main striker but I can't see him shifting the players we already have available there. Unless we're playing 4 2 3 1 like we did against Ukraine and Ireland.  I'd definitely have him and Shankland in the squad and I think one of Dykes or Adams is enough. 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:26 PM, BryanBlessed said:

No matter how much he looks after himself he's 41, so I can't see him getting back into the Hearts or Scotland team. If he does, that will say a lot about Zander Clark.

It won't say "a lot" about Zander Clark. It'll just say he isn't as good a keeper as Craig Gordon. Which he isn't.

55 minutes ago, Marky said:

It won't say "a lot" about Zander Clark. It'll just say he isn't as good a keeper as Craig Gordon. Which he isn't.

Disagree. If he were getting kept out of his club team by a 41-year-old coming back from a serious injury, that says an awful lot. And it would say a lot about the paucity of good keepers if Gordon makes the squad.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:57 PM, Orraloon said:

You think so?

You see, I'm the opposite. I think that if we were to get through (I don't think will get through anyway, by the way) then I think we could sell 20,000 no bother. 

Can only sell to SSC members though, no chance 20,000 SSC members would be going back over to Germany (or extending their stays) having been there 2 weeks already. 

There would 20,000 Scotland fans over i'd guess at a push. 

Every man and their dug are going for over for the group stages, i reckon Cologne will see 100,000 Scotland fans in and around the city. Seems to be the big one. 

On 1/25/2024 at 5:13 PM, Orraloon said:

Group stages aye, i'm talking knock out games.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Can only sell to SSC members though, no chance 20,000 SSC members would be going back over to Germany (or extending their stays) having been there 2 weeks already. 

There would 20,000 Scotland fans over i'd guess at a push. 

Every man and their dug are going for over for the group stages, i reckon Cologne will see 100,000 Scotland fans in and around the city. Seems to be the big one. 

I just hope we get the chance to find out. 🤣

Although if we only get 6000 tickets, then I suppose we will never know.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:21 PM, BryanBlessed said:

Disagree. If he were getting kept out of his club team by a 41-year-old coming back from a serious injury, that says an awful lot. And it would say a lot about the paucity of good keepers if Gordon makes the squad.

Ermmm…………bollocks.

It makes zero odds that Craig Gordon is 41.

He is and always has been a top class goalkeeper. 

Zander Clark is and always has been a half decent keeper. 

Give me Gordon over Clark any day and that does not say “a lot” about Clark. 

10 hours ago, Marky said:

Ermmm…………bollocks.

It makes zero odds that Craig Gordon is 41.

He is and always has been a top class goalkeeper. 

Zander Clark is and always has been a half decent keeper. 

Give me Gordon over Clark any day and that does not say “a lot” about Clark. 

What age would Craig Gordon have to be for people to accept that him being number one for club and/or country is a pretty poor reflection on the keepers behind him in the pecking order?

I can't believe we're producing so few keepers that Clark is even in the SPL. He makes saves I'd expect ato be ny keeper to make but rarely  makes great saves like Marshall, McGregor and Gordon used to make.