Where are you based in Germany? - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where are you based in Germany?

AlfieMoon

Who has decided on a base in Germany for the Euros? 

And where? 

Have you picked a venue city, or an outlying town somewhere? 

I’ve seen some mention booking in and around Düsseldorf given it is close to a cluster of stadiums. Still a fair distance to Berlin, Munich or Hamburg though!

Personally, I’ve not booked anything. You’ve as much chance ending up in a city surrounded by 20,000 English fans. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I will be based in Dortmund (for now). It is within reasonable distance of five other Euros venues.

Good a place as any and if we are drawn there, you have won a watch.

Been there twice with the TA, it has two airports apparently.

A few of the boys went to the wrong one. 🤣

Just now, GroundsKeeper said:

Flights into Dortmund seem much more costlier than other parts of Germany. For that reason I may fly into Hamburg or other city and rough it by train to Dortmund.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Flights into Dortmund seem much more costlier than other parts of Germany. For that reason I may fly into Hamburg or other city and rough it by train to Dortmund.

EasyJet haven't had any Hamburg flights the past 2 summers.

Edited by bonzo

Holding off for the moment as a) big cities are very pricey as so many people have booked on spec. Leaning towards a couple of smaller cities too see more of Germany and b) we are toying with a convoy of camper vans.

If there 2 plus weeks we want some respite from the party!

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I will be based in Dortmund (for now). It is within reasonable distance of five other Euros venues.

2 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

I love Dortmund, but then I prefer Kaunas to Vilnius.

In the Ruhr region...

Cologne... Dortmund... Dusseldorf... Gelsenkirchen...

Of the four cities, Dusseldorf is EASILY the best one.

Have flights booked to Dusseldorf for 2 weeks.

Previously stayed in Cologne for previous TA trip to Dortmund, which was a lovely city but likely to stay in Dusseldorf this time.

Having said that, will wait till the draw to decide, as there are potentially some big train journeys to put up with.

Will definitiely do some tourist stuff / non drinking days, as its a long 2 weeks 😁

Edited by Silversand

Our group decided after Cyprus to book accommodation for the day before, during and after every group game location that we can cancel later depending on the draw. Split between a few people it isn't much of a task.

Gelsenkirchen and Dusseldorf were particularly expensive in terms of options, so had to get creative with location there. Thankfully those are in the general belt of host cities that are very close together.

The A&O and Meininger hotel chains are good budget options.

In terms of travel, keeping it quite flexible. Will likely be a variation of planes, trains and automobiles.

Wikipedia Group stage section lays out the exact dates and venues for each game.

UEFA Euro 2024 - Wikipedia

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Our group decided after Cyprus to book accommodation for the day before, during and after every group game location that we can cancel later depending on the draw. Split between a few people it isn't much of a task.

Gelsenkirchen and Dusseldorf were particularly expensive in terms of options, so had to get creative with location there. Thankfully those are in the general belt of host cities that are very close together.

The A&O and Meininger hotel chains are good budget options.

In terms of travel, keeping it quite flexible. Will likely be a variation of planes, trains and automobiles.

Wikipedia Group stage section lays out the exact dates and venues for each game.

UEFA Euro 2024 - Wikipedia

How much on average would you say you are paying for a twin room? 

20 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

How much on average would you say you are paying for a twin room? 

We were booking budget shared rooms with private bathroom in hotel/hostel hybrid type accommodation so not directly comparable to twin rooms in anywhere that's maybe a bit nicer.

It is highly variable between cities, but the average was around £700 between 6 for 3 nights. The general range being £600-1000. Pro-rated down to 2 people, I would imagine the cost to be slightly higher.