Injury Watch - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nathan Patterson is definitely out. Dyche stated he will probably miss that start of pre-season training.

Did Dyche definitely say this? The only source I can find for that is from some American Doctor with no formal connection to Everton:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2024/04/28/everton-defender-nathan-patterson-update-emerges-by-doctor-after-thigh-surgery/

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Did Dyche definitely say this? The only source I can find for that is from some American Doctor with no formal connection to Everton:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2024/04/28/everton-defender-nathan-patterson-update-emerges-by-doctor-after-thigh-surgery/

Ah yes that is the report I read so no Dyche never said it but looks like the doctor/surgeon must have dealt with the case so his prognosis is certainly more valid than Dyche's anyway. Plus no comment from Patterson saying do not rule me out yet like we got from McTominay and others on behalf of Hickey, Brown and Armstrong.

On 4/30/2024 at 10:00 PM, GilmourFan said:

The "injury crisis" has been slightly exaggerated.

The only players who are confirmed absentees are: Brown, Patterson, Ferguson and probably Jack*.

None are first picks.

Gilmour is back, as is Hanley. McTominay will be back soon.

*Hopefully Stuart Armstrong gets added to the list. Apart from his ability to assist Harry Kane, and his constant dropping his head and dribbled the ball out of play, he offers nothing.

Apart from a quiff and a law degree.

None first picks but if Hickey doesn't make it (and its a big IF for him to make it) then Patterson is right back. Without either of them we are in the shit. 

Ferguson wouldn't have started but he'd likely have featured and if we have another injury to a central midfielder we are suddenly short. Long way before the Euros but having 3 guaranteed players from a 23 man squad guaranteed to be out and a few other starters being doubts, then it's a tricky position to be in. 

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah yes that is the report I read so no Dyche never said it but looks like the doctor/surgeon must have dealt with the case so his prognosis is certainly more valid than Dyche's anyway. Plus no comment from Patterson saying do not rule me out yet like we got from McTominay and others on behalf of Hickey, Brown and Armstrong.

Very skeptical that the Doctor in that article has any connection to Everton or even met Patterson. Just a random Doctor that watched the game live from his house in California.

Patterson is probably unlikely to make the Euros, but there's also a lot of stuff on the internet that's utter tosh masquerading as journalism, and that is one of them. 

9 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Very skeptical that the Doctor in that article has any connection to Everton or even met Patterson. Just a random Doctor that watched the game live from his house in California.

Patterson is probably unlikely to make the Euros, but there's also a lot of stuff on the internet that's utter tosh masquerading as journalism, and that is one of them. 

I hardly think a source closely-linked to club news such as Goodison News is would feel the urge to get the views of someone in no way connected to the case. In any case Patterson is  out of the Euros of that i am certain. You do not go from operating table to playing again in six weeks.

The way I read it is the only players from the current injured list we can have more than a 50% likelihood of returning for the Euros are Tierney, Hickey and (depending on what reports you hear) McTominay. Anyone else of note looks to be doubtful at best

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

The way I read it is the only players from the current injured list we can have more than a 50% likelihood of returning for the Euros are Tierney, Hickey and (depending on what reports you hear) McTominay. Anyone else of note looks to be doubtful at best

Don’t know how far Hickey is in his recovery. Reports from up here seem to suggest he will make it in time whilst the ones down south seem to think it’s 50-50. Then again, if he does make it then firstly I will be absolutely delighted but pressing concern would be how far off match sharpness he will be & with that do you throw him in right away in the firing line against potentially someone like Leroy Sane. For example if he plays in the opening game against Germany, then can see the Germans targeting our right side knowing that he will be miles off match fitness having not played any football for over 6 months. Hence why I hope if he does return, then it’s sooner than that Germany game so we can give him some a good amount of minutes in the Gibraltar & Finland friendlies.

I think Tierney is on the doubtful list. We don’t know the full extent of his groin injury other than it can take between 4 weeks - 14 weeks to heal. Again hope he makes it but it’s just a pity that the guys body can break down as easily as snapping a poppadom in half.

McTominay certainly has more than a 50% likelihood (thank goodness). Ten Hag mentioned in his presser earlier today that he is due to return to training on Saturday and will see if there is a chance of him playing against Crystal Palace on the Monday. I personally hope not just in case he hasn’t fully properly healed & a risk of him aggravating his knee, but if there is any small chance of him being available for that game then of course he’s going to give him some minutes. Don’t trust Ten Hag one bit when it comes to managing players’ fitness & their recoveries (Lisandro Martinez & Mason Mount prime examples). If he does play him then I will be watching it with both my fingers & toes crossed that he comes through unscathed.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Can jack hendry cover right back? Also is Ralston worth calling up again? Not sure if he's been playing regularly for Celtic. 

I’ve never seen Hendry play right back before although he does seem to have the attributes to maybe do a job there. Would need to see it live rather than guessing about it.

I think with the injuries at RB, Ralston certainly is going to be considered along with 1/2 others - McCrorie & Johnstone being those two. Although that’s if Hickey doesn’t recover in time. Out of those three McCrorie is the only one that’s been playing regularly. Although correct me if I’m wrong but Ralston’s only ever start for us was when he made his debut and scored in that game against Armenia? Did pretty well in that game although I know it’s nowhere near the standard of opponent we are going to be up against this summer but you can only play against what’s in front of you.

Edited by DesiScotsman

15 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

I’ve never seen Hendry play right back before although he does seem to have the attributes to maybe do a job there. Would need to see it live rather than guessing about it.

I think with the injuries at RB, Ralston certainly is going to be considered along with 1/2 others - McCrorie & Johnstone being those two. Although that’s if Hickey doesn’t recover in time. Out of those three McCrorie is the only one that’s been playing regularly. Although correct me if I’m wrong but Ralston’s only ever start for us was when he made his debut and scored in that game against Armenia? Did pretty well in that game although I know it’s nowhere near the standard of opponent we are going to be up against this summer but you can only play against what’s in front of you.

I think Ralston will stand a good chance of making the squad. Just have to hope hickey makes it although he might struggle to be match sharp considering he's not played much.

I've not seen anything confirming  Patterson has had the op or recovery timescale. Which is strange as there numerous quotes confirming he needed an op. Could he be waiting it out in the hope it's not required? 

Regarding RB position we have historically played Ryan Fraser there, but only in games where we've played minnows expecting to have plenty of the ball and attacking. I don't think we would ever play that with teams who are equal to or better than us.

When we were really short there people will remember Strachan playing Tierney at RB, and he did quite well even though he clearly wasn't at his most comfortable. That would lose us the edge we have down the left side with Tierney/Robbo though in favour of a weaker defender covering Robbo when he's up the pitch. 

Either of those options don't sound great tome.

11 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Ross Stewart is also expected to return before the end of the season

2 hours ago, immcinto said:

Ross Stewart is also expected to return before the end of the season

Apparently on the bench tomorrow against Leeds. If he can get a few games under his belt, I’d give him an opportunity in the 2 friendlies coming up. I do think he is the best option we have at the moment. If, and it is an “If”, he can take his club form into international football. 
But I’d like Clarke to give him a chance similar to Shankland getting time last set of friendlies. 

11 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'd have been surprised if he was in the running at all given Shankland's form

same, i feel like the spots are nailed on for Dykes, Adams and Shankland

10 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'd have been surprised if he was in the running at all given Shankland's form

He missed good opportunities in the last games. We need someone who can score. Maybe Stewart is the solution, maybe not. But I think we need to try him if fit and available for the upcoming friendlies. 

As someone mentioned above, match sharpness is a factor for Hickey, possibly Tierney, Paterson, Hanley and Armstrong. Even if all if the above are cleared to play they may not be at their best. Armstrong is the only one who we can handle, as the rest on their day are starters, other than Paterson who is affected by the condition and availability of Hickey. . I think Clarke needs to have a rummage in the toolbox, call up 28-30 for the pro-tournament camp. I need to see if we play our two matches before the final squad nust be declared. 

46 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Apparently on the bench tomorrow against Leeds. If he can get a few games under his belt, I’d give him an opportunity in the 2 friendlies coming up. I do think he is the best option we have at the moment. If, and it is an “If”, he can take his club form into international football. 
But I’d like Clarke to give him a chance similar to Shankland getting time last set of friendlies. 

With McBurnie out if we are too take 4 strikers I would call up Stewart & Conway for the June friendlies & include the one that does the best in the final 26.

Though Even with 26 Clarke is unlikely to take a 4th centre forward, possible there's too many players in defensive positions especially not fully or match fit so expect Clarke will want plenty back in those positions for that reason 

Next season if Stewart does well at club level I expect him to replace more than likely Dykes in future squads. 

Conway does appear to be flying relatively with 8 goals in 22ish appearances this year, including impressive displays in the FA cup against PL opposition. I would be surprised if he wasn't involved in the next year or so as he comes out of the U21 age bracket.

Another one he don't mention much is Ryan Hardie with 13 goals in 33 this season. For whatever reason doesn't seem to have been taken so seriously beyond a certain level in his career. No International call ups above U21 and never got much of a chance with Rangers despite being involved in some pretty poor Rangers squads throughout the late 2010s and always being considered a hot prospect in his younger days. There must be something missing from his game because he has proven himself as a goal scorer at most places where he has had a chance at regular football.

Posted (edited)

I don't quite understand the sudden clamour for Ross Stewart to be included, considering he's barely played for the better part of a season and a half, and during the fleeting appearances he has made for Scotland he hasn't exactly set the heather alight.

I'd consider Tommy Conway or Ryan Hardie before Stewart at this point in time, or even Kevin Nisbet, who's back playing for Millwall and has at least managed to score at international level.

In any case, barring injuries Adams, Dykes and Shankland look nailed on to be the CFs.

Edited by scotlad

4 hours ago, Scot1 said:

He missed good opportunities in the last games. We need someone who can score. Maybe Stewart is the solution, maybe not. But I think we need to try him if fit and available for the upcoming friendlies. 

Did he? He hit the bar against the Netherlands where he should have scored but what other good opportunities did he miss? I'd be surprised if he picked Stewart unless he has a really strong end to the season.

4 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Strikers miss chances ffs, it happens

20 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Did he? He hit the bar against the Netherlands where he should have scored but what other good opportunities did he miss? I'd be surprised if he picked Stewart unless he has a really strong end to the season.

Had to laugh at the we need someone who can score comment.Considering the season he has had I would have thought that's exactly what Shankland offers. 😂