Injury Watch - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

29 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Not good but, and without wanting to tempt fate, at least it's in the one area of the pitch where we have strength in depth.

This would be a huge blow. If the squad size is raised to 26 then there could really be a few attacking players who have barely played for Clarke in the squad..

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours are its a torn ACL for Ferguson. That could be 8 months before he is back playing which would end his 2024 and affect not only his EURO's but any potential summer transfers as well. 

49 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Rumours are its a torn ACL for Ferguson. That could be 8 months before he is back playing which would end his 2024 and affect not only his EURO's but any potential summer transfers as well. 

That really is a shame for him, considering he was being linked with a move to Juventus. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Terrible bad luck for him at such a time in his career. Also what a terrible few months for us injury-wise with several key or in-form players picking up lengthy injuries in the form of Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Hanley, Ferguson and McGregor. I cannot recall such a long list of first teamers for us (barring Ferguson) being hit with injuries in the run-up to a major tournament.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:31 PM, BryanBlessed said:

I think Clarke has to take a bit of the blame for this if Hickey doesn't make it. He should have brought in a RB getting regular game time for their club. This situation wasn't unforeseeable.  If Max Johnston is doing OK, he should be drafted into the squad. I've seen he's making appearances but mainly as a sub.

Max Johnston can barely get a sniff at club level. No idea why he should be in the squad. Ralston has at least proven he can play at this level (even when not in the Celtic side) and if Hickey isn't fit i'd go with him. 

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Terrible bad luck for him at such a time in his career. Also what a terrible few months for us injury-wise with several key or in-form players picking up lengthy injuries in the form of Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Hanley, Ferguson and McGregor. I cannot recall such a long list of first teamers for us (barring Ferguson) being hit with injuries in the run-up to a major tournament.

Suppose it happens to a lot of teams but our injuries almost always end up being long term. Fingers crossed no further major injuries. It's getting too close now. 

39 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Max Johnston can barely get a sniff at club level. No idea why he should be in the squad. Ralston has at least proven he can play at this level (even when not in the Celtic side) and if Hickey isn't fit i'd go with him. 

He's made a few (substitute) appearances recently. Granted I didn't actually check at what stage of the game he was coming on.  If no Hickey and Patterson still on the bench at Everton, my first choice would also be Ralston but he isn't currently getting a game at club level.

Injuries happen to all teams but you would think with all the players England have playing for elite clubs who regularly feature in the latter stages of campaigns that they would have a lot more injuries - yet they rarely get injuries to their key players. Better treatment perhaps?

3 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

This would be a huge blow. If the squad size is raised to 26 then there could really be a few attacking players who have barely played for Clarke in the squad..

Let's face it, we probably won't be in the latter stages of the Euros and success would be playing four matches. I doubt Ferguson would be starting any of them so, it's a blow, but mainly because he's a high quality replacement for McGinn or McTominay. Hickey not being available is far more worrying.

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Let's face it, we probably won't be in the latter stages of the Euros and success would be playing four matches. I doubt Ferguson would be starting any of them so, it's a blow, but mainly because he's a high quality replacement for McGinn or McTominay. Hickey not being available is far more worrying.

The above is fine if others stay fit, but McTominay is out at moment and McGinn plays every minute for Villa it seems so risk he could get an injury.

I think its a huge blow, even if Ferguson doesnt start he is an excellent substitute off bench who can create and/or score. 

3 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

The above is fine if others stay fit, but McTominay is out at moment and McGinn plays every minute for Villa it seems so risk he could get an injury.

I think its a huge blow, even if Ferguson doesnt start he is an excellent substitute off bench who can create and/or score. 

Well, of course, it becomes a bigger blow if McGinn and McTominay are out but in itself, it's nowhere near as bad as Robertson, Tierney or Hickey being out. If we lose (or don't get back) any of those three, we'll probably be looking at a group-stage exit.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

He's made a few (substitute) appearances recently. Granted I didn't actually check at what stage of the game he was coming on.  If no Hickey and Patterson still on the bench at Everton, my first choice would also be Ralston but he isn't currently getting a game at club level.

He's getting just about as much of a game as Johnston is. At least we know Ralston can fill that role with little game time. 

55 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Well, of course, it becomes a bigger blow if McGinn and McTominay are out but in itself, it's nowhere near as bad as Robertson, Tierney or Hickey being out. If we lose (or don't get back) any of those three, we'll probably be looking at a group-stage exit.

Yes agree.

Confirmed as long term knee injury, what a shame for the guy.

36 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Yes agree.

Confirmed as long term knee injury, what a shame for the guy.

Terrible bad luck for him and for us. We don't need to have too many injuries in midfield to suddenly look very short 

what a shame for the guy, on the verge of potentially a life changing move as well.

wonder if gauld could be in for finally getting a call up now? fully expecting tom cairney to be called up as a replacement mind you.

When everyone's fit Clarke has tended to pick about eight midfielders in his squads. Five starters:McGinn, Gilmore, McTominay, Christie, McGregor. Then the subs: McLean, Armstrong and Ferguson. 

So the question is who would he call up to replace Ferguson, Connor Barron? Any other ideas?

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

When everyone's fit Clarke has tended to pick about eight midfielders in his squads. Five starters:McGinn, Gilmore, McTominay, Christie, McGregor. Then the subs: McLean, Armstrong and Ferguson. 

So the question is who would he call up to replace Ferguson, Connor Barron? Any other ideas?

LewisEDI must have posted just before me, so Cairney and Gauld might be possibilities, anyone else?

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's getting just about as much of a game as Johnston is. At least we know Ralston can fill that role with little game time. 

Max Johnston is a "used" sub most weeks, so he's definitely getting more game time than Ralston and Paterson.

I get that he's uncapped at senior level, but to say you have no idea why he should be near the squad is a bit daft, when right back is a significant problem area for us at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Max Johnston is a "used" sub most weeks, so he's definitely getting more game time than Ralston and Paterson.

I get that he's uncapped at senior level, but to say you have no idea why he should be near the squad is a bit daft, when right back is a significant problem area for us at the moment. 

I know it can be a big leap up from u21 level but he's always done well for them, though may be better going forward than defensively.

Think the almost total unanimous ditching of Patterson for totally unproven players is a bit of a joke. It’s Ralston and a huge ‘arm around’ Patterson. Then Clarke decides on basis of the friendlies and pre-tournament camp.

Edited by ger intae them

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

David Turnbull probably, though he isnt even starting for Cardiff at moment.

He sounds ideal for our team 😂

2 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Think the almost total unanimous ditching of Patterson for totally unproven players is a bit of a joke. It’s Ralston and a huge ‘arm around’ Patterson. Then Clarke decides on basis of the friendlies and pre-tournament camp.

Patterson is a strange one. Up until the turn of the year he was featuring regularly for Everton - not always starting games but he was still seeing plenty of gametime - but now he's seemingly welded to the bench at Everton and his performances for Scotland last month looked for all the world like those of a player completely shorn of confidence.

I feel sorry for him, but ideally he wouldn't even be in consideration. That said, he's still played more first team football than Ralston this season!

Personally, I would rather Ralston over Patterson as he is just a bit more steady on the defensive side.

Ferguson is a blow, he definitely would have featured at the Euros off the bench, but we have plenty of midfielders lets face it. I still think we need a Plan B, would like to see someone who can play on the wing, and it seems that Fraser is too much of a wee fanny for Clarke so who knows?

Gutted to hear that about Ferguson. Just hope this doesn’t derail his progression and he comes back a bigger stronger player.

Midfield’s our strongest area in the team but so annoying to see him miss out as any injury to the likes of McGinn or McTominay then he would be straight in.

Possible replacements is I’m hoping for is Tom Cairney or Ryan Gauld. Although I know it’s Steve Clarke so expecting it to be someone like Dominic Hyam/Ross McCrorie/David Turnbull or any other player that hasn’t been called up for a while.

Edited by DesiScotsman