Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams

JandC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

When are the playoffs due to be drawn? Before or after the Euro draw in December? Obviously I’d imagine the games will be getting played in March next year when it’s the next international break after November.

There is not a draw per-se..... there will be a draw to see who gets home advantage in final, but I believe its down to rankings (hence we knew initially we were playing Finland in Glasgow, but then morphed into Israel after Finland did not have a need for the play off's).

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

There is not a draw per-se..... there will be a draw to see who gets home advantage in final, but I believe its down to rankings (hence we knew initially we were playing Finland in Glasgow, but then morphed into Israel after Finland did not have a need for the play off's).

Ahh ok. I was thinking it was quite similar to the World Cup one.

7 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Ahh ok. I was thinking it was quite similar to the World Cup one.

Yeah, I think its already been confirmed that Finland have been assured a play off spot taking our place in the play off's as we have no need for it now.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Slightly off-topicbut does anyone have an idea of kick-off times for nextt summer? I am presuming there will be one afternoon slot (4.40pm or thereabouts) and evening kick-off (8pm or thereabouts).

I think its 3 games per day for the first set of fixtures (last round games will kick off side by side), and I think its (local time) 3pm, 6pm and 9pm kick off's

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Slightly off-topicbut does anyone have an idea of kick-off times for nextt summer? I am presuming there will be one afternoon slot (4.40pm or thereabouts) and evening kick-off (8pm or thereabouts).

The only kick off times they've announced are the opening game (Germany v ?) 9pm local (8pm BST) and the semi-finals and final which are the same. 

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

I think its 3 games per day for the first set of fixtures (last round games will kick off side by side), and I think its (local time) 3pm, 6pm and 9pm kick off's

Yep that was certainly the case last time, kick offs of 2pm, 5pm and 8pm BST. 

• 5 months later...

Euro 24 playoffs about to kick off soon starting with Georgia vs Luxembourg - 5pm kick off

Then a choice of games kicking off tonight at 7:45pm to choose from:

Bosnia vs Ukraine 

Greece vs Kazakhstan

Israel vs Iceland

Poland vs Estonia

Wales vs Finland

Feels good to just be sitting back & relaxed whilst watching these games unfold without any nerves kicking in. I remember how nervous and eventually gutted I was when we got papped out by Ukraine in the World Cup playoff or watching the Irish in the Euro 2016 playoffs with envy having just massively messed up qualification for France in the final few group games.

Edited by DesiScotsman

I wouldn't judge Wales on their win against Finland

Think they will struggle to beat Poland who will be desperate to get to Germany

Would rather not see Georgia get through after their horrible antics against us last year, in front of their own fans in what was pretty much a dead game I think.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but have Wales had home advantage in all these play-offs purely from luck of the draw?

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Would rather not see Georgia get through after their horrible antics against us last year, in front of their own fans in what was pretty much a dead game I think.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but have Wales had home advantage in all these play-offs purely from luck of the draw?

Yip, every time the jammy bassas.

And it tells. 

I am thankful that our Serbia away game was in an empty stadium. Who knows the outcome with thousands of baying Serbs there.

J

20 minutes ago, DubsDave said:

Have a ticket for Turkey v playoff C in Dortmund so hope Greece get through, could be tasty !

I have Slovakia v Playoff B (Ukraine or Iceland). So much less tasty.

Would love for Iceland to get through, their fans look good craic. 

Ukraine, meh, world football darlings. I think they’ve had enough exposure. Plus still annoyed about that WC playoff where we never in a million years were going to win. 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Did they not get home advantage in the playoff semi finals due to their higher ranking? Just like we did against Israel and Ukraine?

15 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

See Wales got home advantage again against Poland, did they not get home advantage in both play offs last time.

They do seem to carry a certain level of good fortune

I had thought that Wales days of success were numbered with the demise of Bale, Ramsey, etc., but they actually look like they still have a half decent team with some good youngsters. I’m going to watch the Poland game on Tuesday so I’ll get a better look. Still hope Poland beat them, either comfortably or something agonising!

6 hours ago, DubsDave said:

Have a ticket for Turkey v playoff C in Dortmund so hope Greece get through, could be tasty !

Sure the Dortmund police are willing Georgia on in the playoff.  😀

Turkey V Greece in Germany with big immigrant Turkish and Greek populations.  Tasty could be underestimating the situation.