No Lion Rampant flags allowed at Stade de France - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No Lion Rampant flags allowed at Stade de France

CelticGeordie

Could this be an issue for us in the future?

Stewards were refusing entry to Scotland supporters with Lion Rampant flags at the rugby last night v Ireland, only Saltires and Tricolours allowed.

Many a sporran stuffed to bursting point!

Hi. I think I can shed a little light on this: It's not well-known as representing Scotland but, more importantly, it resembles the Lion of Flanders: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapeau_de_Flandre

This flag has started to have far-right connotations and has been used as a symbol by a small but nasty element of the far-right in Lille. Looking at who usually does the doors in Lille (no insult intended at all) I can see why they might not let the Lion Rampant pass.

Weird

The lion rampant represents the King of Scots 

The red fluer de lyon( the red strip around flag(was issued by the King of France when the original auld alliance was signed, or before ( @1120..) not 100% sure of original date.

It represents the King of Scots always being protected by the King of France .

18 hours ago, stocky said:

Weird

The red fluer de lyon( the red strip around flag(was issued by the King of France when the original auld alliance was signed, or before ( @1120..) not 100% sure of original date.

King Charles is the King of Scots...get the Lion Rampant in the bin

On 10/11/2023 at 1:09 AM, stocky said:

Weird

You should be a tour guide with info like that! 😃

On 10/8/2023 at 7:57 AM, CelticGeordie said:

Could this be an issue for us in the future?

Stewards were refusing entry to Scotland supporters with Lion Rampant flags at the rugby last night v Ireland, only Saltires and Tricolours allowed.

Many a sporran stuffed to bursting point!

My fist games way back in early 80s were always full of Lion flags. I miss the mass of flags at games

Scotland Hampden flags.jpg

9 hours ago, McTeeko said:

You should be a tour guide with info like that! 😃

😉😉 went to TEBA yesterday.

A place I've been wanting to see for 25 years.

Well worth it 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍❤️

On 10/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, lauchlan said:

My fist games way back in early 80s were always full of Lion flags. I miss the mass of flags at games

Scotland Hampden flags.jpg

I don’t miss getting whapped in the face by flags. 

In my smoking days a guy once knocked a fag out of my mouth with his flag at Hampden and had the cheek to moan at me about the fag burn. 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

King Charles is the King of Scots...get the Lion Rampant in the bin

Is he, though? He hasn’t (and won’t) take the Scottish oath - no monarch has since Queen Anne, prior to the Act of Union. You could argue that he may be King of Scotland, but he isn’t King of Scots…

On 10/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, CelticGeordie said:

Only national flags allowed, I tried to explain but they didn't want to know, said I could either leave it in a collection place or put it in the bin.

I wonder if this is because of the situation in Israel & Palestine ?

I think I heard on Friday before Eng v Aus game at Wembley that only national flags allowed because of this. My assumption is that it's an easy way to bar/block political flags of any sort i.e. no pro Israel nor pro Palestine flags currently. Just a blanket ban apart from actual national flags of the 2 teams competing in that particular match to avoid any potential controversy.

Edited by fringo

On 10/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, fringo said:

My assumption is that it's an easy way to bar/block political flags of any sort... Just a blanket ban apart from actual national flags of the 2 teams competing in that particular match to avoid any potential controversy.

We thought the reason was something like this.

Still feels a bit over the top and there will at least need to be some arrangement for other acceptable flags to be allowed.