Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, immcinto said:

In the unlikely event of Spain slipping up, what are the chances of 21pts and 1st place in the group getting us a pot 1 slot?

I was reading something that 6pts from the last 2 games could get us in pot 2. So regardless of what Spain do, winning our last 2 should still be the aim.

1st place would be great, but Spain playing Cyprus and Georgia who they took 13 goals off of combined in their previous matchday, extremely unlikely.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I edited it as soon as I posted it. You were in there fast for 3am! 😄

Probably immaterial anyway as I doubt Italy will win at Wembley. But hopefully they can get a result. Ideally if we can get Pot 2, I'd like England and Italy to be in there also, not sure if that's possible 🤔

It wasn’t 3am for me. 😂

Technically it is possibly for all 3 teams to be in pot 2 but only if we win our group and if by some miracle we manage to do that it’s pretty certain we would be in pot 1.

Pot 2 would be fine by me. We could theoretically end up with a harder group if we were pot 1 and England and Italy were in Pot 2. We could end up with Turkey or someone like that as our pot 1 team although I suspect France or Portugal will be more likely with our luck in finals draws. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It wasn’t 3am for me. 😂

Technically it is possibly for all 3 teams to be in pot 2 but only if we win our group and if by some miracle we manage to do that it’s pretty certain we would be in pot 1.

Pot 2 would be fine by me. We could theoretically end up with a harder group if we were pot 1 and England and Italy were in Pot 2. We could end up with Turkey or someone like that as our pot 1 team although I suspect France or Portugal will be more likely with our luck in finals draws. 

Fair enough, I'd just made it to bed after a whisky fuelled celebration.

I wouldn't want to draw the Turks, especially not in Germany, would be like a home game for them!

I'd fancy a crack at Spain again, we've a score to settle after last week....

40 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Fair enough, I'd just made it to bed after a whisky fuelled celebration.

I wouldn't want to draw the Turks, especially not in Germany, would be like a home game for them!

I'd fancy a crack at Spain again, we've a score to settle after last week....

I think there would have been a good few whiskies sank last night all over Scotland and beyond.

Spain wouldn’t be the worst draw in the world. At least we know they’re beatable if the grass in Germany is long enough. 😂

Austria won today against Azerbaijan, but only by 1 goal.  They have Estonia yet to play, and are one point ahead of us, but we have superior goal difference so far. I can't see this being the mindset, but as others have pointed out pot 2 may end up weaker than pot 3. Ending up in pot 3 may be advantagous 

Portugal must be a serious threat next summer. 

They are 5-0 up at half time in Bosnia as they continue to win every game in their group. 

Their front 4 tonight is Ronaldo, Leao, Felix and Fernandes which means that Bernardo Silva and Jota are on the bench alongside numerous other very good players. Their squad is nothing short of ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, magicTs said:

They are 5-0 up at half time in Bosnia as they continue to win every game in their group. 

Their front 4 tonight is Ronaldo, Leao, Felix and Fernandes which means that Bernardo Silva and Jota are on the bench alongside numerous other very good players. Their squad is nothing short of ridiculous. 

I was just thinking that. Definitely worth a wee punt to win the whole thing. 

18 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Probably means we’ll get them in our group. 

34 minutes ago, darkbluegas said:

Anyone else noticed the puzzle that face The ROI. Defeat to Holland will actually give them a chance of qualifying?

Answers on a postcard 

It improves their chances but I'm not sure it will be enough. Still worth throwing the game though just in case.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It improves their chances but I'm not sure it will be enough. Still worth throwing the game though just in case.

Jeez, what a nonsense that there can be a situation whereby you're better off losing a game.  That should never be a thing.  Although I do recall there being a situation with results against the bottom ranked teams in groups being discounted, with regards to best/worst runners up scenarios in world cup qualifying campaigns, where losing could, potentially, be of benefit 

1 hour ago, todd said:

Jeez, what a nonsense that there can be a situation whereby you're better off losing a game.  That should never be a thing.  Although I do recall there being a situation with results against the bottom ranked teams in groups being discounted, with regards to best/worst runners up scenarios in world cup qualifying campaigns, where losing could, potentially, be of benefit 

I'm not sure how that would work? 

Just now, Orraloon said:

I can't quite remember how but it definitely was a thing.  We qualified for 1998 because our draw against Estonia ultimately didn't affect us as that 'negative' result was discounted.  

1 minute ago, todd said:

I can't quite remember how but it definitely was a thing.  We qualified for 1998 because our draw against Estonia ultimately didn't affect us as that 'negative' result was discounted.  

Aye, if you have already dropped points to the the eventual bottom team, then it looks like a benefit, but there is no benefit to deliberately losing against them.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think it could work by changing which team finishes bottom and, therefore, which team's record gets ignored for the second-placed rankings. You'd have to definitely be finishing second to want to risk that though.

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, if you have already dropped points to the the eventual bottom team, then it looks like a benefit, but there is no benefit to deliberately losing against them.

Not convinced mate.  There was definitely an issue with the potential of this, maybe not losing but perhaps drawing.  Pretty sure the SFA actually contacted uefa or fifa expressing their concerns over this potentially being the case.   I'm not Statto enough to give you exact dates and scenarios but I'm sure there's someone out there that can back me up 😁

58 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think it could work by changing which team finishes bottom and, therefore, which team's record gets ignored for the second-placed rankings. You'd have to definitely be finishing second to want to risk that though.

Yeah, it was to do with avoiding that dreaded worst 2nd place in qualifying for the world cup missng out on a playoff.

You could be in a situation firmly 2nd in the group but you'd dropped 6 points to the second bottom side but gained 0 points against the bottom side with a game against them still to play. In that situation it could gain you 3 points to lose that game if it meant they switched positions meaning 3 points get discounted instead of 6 (if you're in a larger group whereby results against the bottom team are removed)

Watching this tonight I want to avoid this lot like the plague in the draw. With tonight results it looks very much like the Pot 1 seeds will be the following. I'm listing them in order of preference as to what I would want:

1. Belgium

2. Germany

3. Spain

4. Portugal

5. England

6. France 

If I did this right, here are what the current pots looks like, let get this out the way - we really want to be a pot 3 team instead of pot 2 which will become clearer shortly.

Pot 1 - Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium, England and Spain

Pot 2 - Turkey, Albania, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania and Austria

Pot 3 - Scotland, Denmark, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Ukraine and Serbia

Pot 4 - Slovakia, Wales, Switzerland plus

One of Croatia, Poland, Finland, Bosnia

One of Israel, Italy, Iceland, Greece

One of Georgia, Kazakstan, Luxembourg, Estonia

I fully expect Ukraine and Italy to swop places.

If we had needed the playoff, we would have be in the first playoff group with Croatia, Poland and Bosnia.

I want to be pot 3 for the sake of the Euro draw, I want to be Pot 2 and have two extra wins under our belt for the sake of FIFA rankings to help our World Cup qualification group. 

Edited by romanticscot

37 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Regarding Tournament pot seedings, let's suppose we finish on the same points as Austria - does anyone know how we will be separated?

My assumption is it would be

Points then

Goal Difference then

Goals scored?

IMG_0294.jpeg