England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Finding shite teams to try and guarantee a win would be absolutely pathetic. If you can’t see that then there’s not much else I can say. 

I didn’t say there would  be security issues with teams coming to Glasgow. I meant there may be security issues with our players going to certain African countries. 

It's a case of mixing it up and thinking about the morale of the squad and fans. As i said i ain't massively complaining but it will slightly disappointing if we lose three in a row after the run we are on right now.

It is what it is and we will just have to battle on and hopefully get a result in one of the games. I dont care as long as we get a result in georgia.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We already play england and spain in a row plus we will have a tough run of games in the next nations league. 

Ppl are getting a bit carried away, we are still a long way off the elite nations and the idea of getting beat three times consecutively after going on a such a great run recently is a bit of bummer.

It's not that i am hugely bothered but if i had the choice I would swap the France game for an easier game but its done now so we will just have to battle through.

We learn Jack from playing inferiot opponents. And we aren't in need of morale- boosting wins. At the Euros we were like rabbits in the headlights due to us having not played high calibre teams so Clarke is not making that mistake again. As he says to get better you have to test yourself against the best.

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a case of mixing it up and thinking about the morale of the squad and fans. As i said i ain't massively complaining but it will slightly disappointing if we lose three in a row after the run we are on right now.

It is what it is and we will just have to battle on and hopefully get a result in one of the games. I dont care as long as we get a result in georgia.

Now there’s something we can agree on. 

Even if we lose to England and Spain I think we will win in Tbilisi. We’re due a win over there. 

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Chris Sutton blowing this theory out of the water that none of our players would get in their side by stating Jordan Henderson would not get into Scotland's midfield.

I'd have Robertson over Chilwell too.  And I'd have Alan Rough as he is now over Pickford.

I do care about tonight's result. Its has no bearing on us qualifying and if it was a choice between losing tonight and qualifying I would obviously choose the Euros BUT this isn't the choice. 

We play our oldest rivals in a one off game tonight and getting one over them would be great because we haven't beaten them since 1999. We never played them again till 2013 and since then have played them 7 times with 0 wins. 

IN TE THEM

Just now, Fairbairn said:

I'd have Robertson over Chilwell too.  And I'd have Alan Rough as he is now over Pickford.

What is the england starting midfield nowadays? 

Surely we have something better than Maguire who is lucky to be playing at man utd.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

What is the england starting midfield nowadays? 

Surely we have something better than Maguire who is lucky to be playing at man utd.

He's not even playing at Man U!  They're not as strong as they used to be at CH (when they had Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher etc) but I don't think there's anyone in our squad you could say is definitely better than what they have.  

And one thing I am certain of is that we have the better manager. I am more than happy with the Robertson/Tierney pivot and take that over anything England has. Hickey is solid at right-back and has proven himself abroad whereas people get gooet-eyed over Rice because of transfer fee. Give me our settled, well-drilled midfield who play as a unit too over England's much-lauded stars.

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We play our oldest rivals in a one off game tonight and getting one over them would be great because we haven't beaten them since 1999. We never played them again till 2013 and since then have played them 7 times with 0 wins. 

IN TE THEM

Just the five games since 2013.

12 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Really hope GSTK isnt given the usual treatment tonight. Its a cringe when the boos start and all it will do is give England more motivation to beat us. 

As it's a heritage game we should emulate the 1870s and not bother with anthems at all.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Really hope GSTK isnt given the usual treatment tonight. Its a cringe when the boos start and all it will do is give England more motivation to beat us. 

GTF. I will be booing with gusto, not because it's the English anthem ( it's not) 

I will boo because of the arrogance of them thinking the BRITISH national anthem is theirs 

If they had an English one, I would stand quietly and listen like I do with every other anthem.

So it's a BOOOOO from me 

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

It happens every time. Why would tonight be any different?

There are idiots who boo every anthem and not just GSTK. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It happens every time. Why would tonight be any different?

There are idiots who boo every anthem and not just GSTK. 

True but also in Scotland polls show a desire to abolish the monarchy hence why you get extra boos that is lauding royalty. That, and of course, they always boo Flower of Scotland.

7 minutes ago, stocky said:

GTF. I will be booing with gusto, not because it's the English anthem ( it's not) 

I will boo because of the arrogance of them thinking the BRITISH national anthem is theirs 

If they had an English one, I would stand quietly and listen like I do with every other anthem.

So it's a BOOOOO from me 

TBF we had to stop using it for ourselves as we were booing our own anthem before every game.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

True but also in Scotland polls show a desire to abolish the monarchy hence why you get extra boos that is lauding royalty. That, and of course, they always boo Flower of Scotland.

I have no problem with GSTK being booed as the full version is offensive to Scots. 

As far as I am aware no other anthem on earth is offensive to us so I don’t get why some people think it’s fine to boo any old anthem. 

I was just wondering why Face from the A Team was hoping GSTK wasn’t going to be booed tonight when it 100% will be. He might as well hope for every single Scotland fan to turn up sober tonight. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

So it's a BOOOOO from me 

Spot on 👍

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I do care about tonight's result. Its has no bearing on us qualifying and if it was a choice between losing tonight and qualifying I would obviously choose the Euros BUT this isn't the choice. 

IN TE THEM

Agreed.

I also struggle a wee bit to consider the 1999 win a “proper” victory as England knew they were still 2-1 up in the tie. We’ll never know if we’d have won that game had it been a one off.

So for me, the last indisputable victory was the Gough game. 

On 9/3/2023 at 10:12 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The expectation is over the top - Yes we do have plenty to fear for the England and Spain games

Our front line is nowhere near being in any way comparable to England's and neither is our midfield - and it will be a miracle if we dont get a chasing away to Spain like most other teams

Reality check please

Always go with your initial thoughts before you let yourself be carried away