Europe 23/24 - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

54 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Impacts whoever finishes 3rd arguably as much if not more.

The guarenteed millions for group stage football is huge for teams like Hearts last year and Aberdeen this year. 

I fancy Aberdeen for 3rd this season. I know they won last week and did alright in Norway last night but I have a feeling that the Naismith/McAvoy tenure isn’t going to go well. Hibs are up and down like a prostitutes knickers so who knows with them. They could be anywhere between 4th & 7th imo!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Redz said:

Sure, although none of the dates are ideal given what we have in our diary - There is some flexibility, so fingers crossed

Need to take care of the play off first I guess - Really hoping it's Gothenburg (Hacken), just for the nostalgia

I’ve 4.5 days left, but need to keep a half day for the matinee performance of Dirty Dancing in October 😬 so will be doing at least one group game. 

On 8/10/2023 at 7:22 AM, Fairbairn said:

Early days yet. Celtic were honking for the first couple of months under Ange with a new team and they turned out alright. 

I get what you are saying but you could see there was some quality in the signings Celtic had made. None of the new rangers guys look remotely decent. Lammers is awful

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I get what you are saying but you could see there was some quality in the signings Celtic had made. None of the new rangers guys look remotely decent. Lammers is awful

Lammers looked pretty good in preseason and was by far our best player in the games I caught.

5 hours ago, slasher said:

I fancy Aberdeen for 3rd this season. I know they won last week and did alright in Norway last night but I have a feeling that the Naismith/McAvoy tenure isn’t going to go well. Hibs are up and down like a prostitutes knickers so who knows with them. They could be anywhere between 4th & 7th imo!

Fancy Hibs to finish 5th purely because they will win alot of games and I cant see any other teams to consistently get enough wins to finish above them. They are abit of a shambles though.

Hearts and Aberdeen will battle it out for 3rd. Aberdeen look stronger but so did Hearts for 1st few months last year. 

Ive said previously that a team finishing 3rd a few years in a row and getting European money would be good for the league so hoping Aberdeen can have a period of steady build.

If Hearts could somehow get group stage football again then it would be huge imo.

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Lammers looked pretty good in preseason and was by far our best player in the games I caught.

Aye my mate said that too but from Saturday's efforts he looked pish and not great in the 2 European games either

First half was pretty poor but we were miles better in the second with Raskin and Cantwell in particular both excellent. Not sure I can see us getting by PSV but I thought that last season. €5M and 1st pot in Europa isn’t the worst consolation. 

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

First half was pretty poor but we were miles better in the second with Raskin and Cantwell in particular both excellent. Not sure I can see us getting by PSV but I thought that last season. €5M and 1st pot in Europa isn’t the worst consolation. 

Are we home 1st against PSV?

Edited by EddardStark

33 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Thought Raskin was excellent. Jack and Ciucuetes were good also however more and more I think Cantwell is a luxury player whose behaviour winds up refs and may cost Rangers sometime. He never tracks back and his decison making in his own half is suspect. He undoubtfully has bags of talent though.

Towards the end he got an obvious foul for a barge in the back, right in front of the assistant and full view of the ref. Wasnt given with the only reason I can think if is that his constant throwing himself to the ground, standing over players shouting at them after he has fouled them and moaning at the ref just puts him in their bad side.

PSV look very good. Would have given Rangers more of a chance with 2nd leg at home. You never know with teams of a similar standing though. PSV taking the game to Rangers might suit them.

21 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thought Raskin was excellent. Jack and Ciucuetes were good also however more and more I think Cantwell is a luxury player whose behaviour winds up refs and may cost Rangers sometime. He never tracks back and his decison making in his own half is suspect. He undoubtfully has bags of talent though.

Towards the end he got an obvious foul for a barge in the back, right in front of the assistant and full view of the ref. Wasnt given with the only reason I can think if is that his constant throwing himself to the ground, standing over players shouting at them after he has fouled them and moaning at the ref just puts him in their bad side.

PSV look very good. Would have given Rangers more of a chance with 2nd leg at home. You never know with teams of a similar standing though. PSV taking the game to Rangers might suit them.

That foul was more to do with the linesman being shit at his job than anything to do with Cantwell. A few minutes later Lammers had the exact same foul in the exact same place and he didn’t give it again. Only put his flag up about 15 seconds later when the ref over ruled him. Also think it’s a bit harsh saying Cantwell doesn’t track back as I’ve seen doing it a few times. He does need to learn when the right time for the flicks is and when to play the simple pass.  He’s been easily our best player so far this season though. 

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

That foul was more to do with the linesman being shit at his job than anything to do with Cantwell. A few minutes later Lammers had the exact same foul in the exact same place and he didn’t give it again. Only put his flag up about 15 seconds later when the ref over ruled him. Also think it’s a bit harsh saying Cantwell doesn’t track back as I’ve seen doing it a few times. He does need to learn when the right time for the flicks is and when to play the simple pass.  He’s been easily our best player so far this season though. 

The ref had a clear view of it though. Just dont think Cantwell helps himself. 

Im maybe being abit harsh as its probably not his style or specifically his role in the team but he does just jog back when teams are on the attack.

Both Rangers full backs are horrible defensively aswell. The bit they highlighted about Barasic at half time where he just stops on half way line wanting offside, ends up 10 yards behind the attacker who he was originally ahead of. If their player had squared it then its an avoidable tap in.