Who is the BBC "Star" Sweep - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who is the BBC "Star" Sweep

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit left field - but what about Alexander Armstrong ?

Would fit with the "Star" part as on BBC TV and Radio

Devout Christian is a mahoosive red flag

Distant Royalty links

Public school education

4 kids though which goes against my deductions

39 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Bit left field - but what about Alexander Armstrong ?

Would fit with the "Star" part as on BBC TV and Radio

Devout Christian is a mahoosive red flag

Distant Royalty links

Public school education

4 kids though which goes against my deductions

Similarly to Richard Osman, he’s not employed by the BBC.  The BBC buy programs made by production companies who employ him.

It will be someone who is either a BBC contract presenter or who is a freelancer contracting directly to the BBC. 

Och

Claims made by the mother at the heart of the BBC presenter scandal are "rubbish", a lawyer representing the young person has said.

In a letter to the BBC, the lawyer makes claims that throw doubt on the story that has dominated front pages through the weekend.

It says the young person sent a denial to the Sun on Friday evening saying there was "no truth to it".

However, the "inappropriate article" was still published, the lawyer said.

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I have to say though that even by The Sun’s standards it would be pretty outrageous to publish something like that without some evidence . 

It sounds very much as if they’ve relied completely on the mother’s word and that the mother and daughter are in some sort of dispute about that or about a whole lot of other things.  

I said earlier that I’d noticed there was another article in the Sun today.  I noticed that when I was in Tescos earlier.  I only skim read it on the front page and that they were claiming the young person had used the money to buy crack cocaine made me think there was something badly wrong going on.

The Sun’s statement is slamming the gears into reverse and saying “well we only reported that the family had complained to the BBC and they hadn’t looked at it”.

There’s a political aspect to this as well - the Sun, or rather News Corp, are very invested in the BBC being sidelined or closed down. 

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

It sounds very much as if they’ve relied completely on the mother’s word and that the mother and daughter are in some sort of dispute about that or about a whole lot of other things.  

I said earlier that I’d noticed there was another article in the Sun today.  I noticed that when I was in Tescos earlier.  I only skim read it on the front page and that they were claiming the young person had used the money to buy crack cocaine made me think there was something badly wrong going on.

The Sun’s statement is slamming the gears into reverse and saying “well we only reported that the family had complained to the BBC and they hadn’t looked at it”.

There’s a political aspect to this as well - the Sun, or rather News Corp, are very invested in the BBC being sidelined or closed down. 

I can see your point but it still seems unlikely that there is nothing whatsoever in it. Surely the Sun have seen proof of monetary payments or something equally damning. 

If not, on the political aspect, if the Sun have published all this without any evidence whatsoever its more likely they are finished not the BBC. Hardly a sharp move by News Corp.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I can see your point but it still seems unlikely that there is nothing whatsoever in it. Surely the Sun have seen proof of monetary payments or something equally damning. 

If not, on the political aspect, if the Sun have published all this without any evidence whatsoever its more likely they are finished not the BBC. Hardly a sharp move by News Corp.

Mother could be a complete fantasist and it was too good a story for the Sun to turn down.   Alternatively, there could be something in it but no where near as bad as is being suggested.  It also could be as described but the two people involved have no issue and are keeping schtum - think Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith.

Either way, it seems very odd that if they’d received a flat out denial before printing the story that wasn’t included in the report.

What made me think there was something odd was that the mother would accuse their child of being a crack addict in the national press.  That seemed unhinged to me.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Mother could be a complete fantasist and it was too good a story for the Sun to turn down.   Alternatively, there could be something in it but no where near as bad as is being suggested.  It also could be as described but the two people involved have no issue and are keeping schtum - think Bill Wyman and Mandy Smith.

Either way, it seems very odd that if they’d received a flat out denial before printing the story that wasn’t included in the report.

What made me think there was something odd was that the mother would accuse their child of being a crack addict in the national press.  That seemed unhinged to me.

If your child was a crack addict ( nothing confirming they are of course) it very well could make you unhinged,  through worry. But I do agree there are various possibilities here. 

I normally have no interest whatsoever in this sort of thing, from a gossip perspective that is. If something like this had come out and a famous household name was named straight away I would be surprised and disgusted but probably put it down as yet another celebrity who thinks they can get away with anything .
But it has held my interest because of the unknown factor, so I suppose in that sense The Sun has achieved what it set out to do. Even if it ends up a load of utter tosh. 

27 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If your child was a crack addict ( nothing confirming they are of course) it very well could make you unhinged,  through worry. But I do agree there are various possibilities here. 

I normally have no interest whatsoever in this sort of thing, from a gossip perspective that is. If something like this had come out and a famous household name was named straight away I would be surprised and disgusted but probably put it down as yet another celebrity who thinks they can get away with anything .
But it has held my interest because of the unknown factor, so I suppose in that sense The Sun has achieved what it set out to do. Even if it ends up a load of utter tosh. 

I wonder whether or not they were going to name the presenter originally but the denial meant they decided not to but to run with the story.  

just to add, I’ve no real interest in the story itself but rather the story of the story - how the media works - if that makes sense. 

Edited by aaid

The Sun published a new story this evening after BBC News disclosed excerpts from the young person's legal letter.

In a new interview, the mother and step-father who have made the claims said they "stand by" their allegations.

And regards the young person's Lawyer's letter

The lawyer also claims in the letter that the mother and the young person are estranged.

Are they estranged because of the crack cocaine ?

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Sun published a new story this evening after BBC News disclosed excerpts from the young person's legal letter.

In a new interview, the mother and step-father who have made the claims said they "stand by" their allegations.

And regards the young person's Lawyer's letter

The lawyer also claims in the letter that the mother and the young person are estranged.

Are they estranged because of the crack cocaine ?

Which again would be a reason to get corroboration before printing the story.  

Brilliant isn’t it. About 40 MPs under investigation for offences including rape. A couple of Tories in jail for the sex crimes they committed. Yet UKers media, be it the shite printed or into your home ‘news’ cunts, reckon this story is worth the most of their coverage for the last few days.

The public button up the back as far as the esteemed British Media  are concerned. And the beast corporation are just as complicit in this whole charade where the UK Prime Minister is shocked and concerned. Nobody better tell him ‘bout the beasts in his party  , if sexual pictures being exchanged upsets him. 
Still, De pfefel Johnson gets to keep his phone messages secret from the enquiry. 
pretty sure even I know which character it is now. Would not have put anything past that person.

35 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes !

We should find out Huw it is now ............

Edited by Ally Bongo

On 7/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, TDYER63 said:

The mum has said ‘she loved seeing him on TV’ which makes me think it must be a fairly mainstream show presenter rather than sports, news etc. Unless of course she is a big sports fan. 

Would be bizarre if it turned out to be that newsreader.