Season 23/24 - Page 69 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, LoganRoy said:

I think Kilmarnock are a more difficult prospect (away) for Celtic. 

Yesterday was probably as good as we’ve been since the Athletico Madrid game so it does appear as though we are coming together at just the right time.  However we’re still giving teams too many chances imo and I wouldn’t be taking anything for granted just yet!

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Yesterday was probably as good as we’ve been since the Athletico Madrid game so it does appear as though we are coming together at just the right time.  However we’re still giving teams too many chances imo and I wouldn’t be taking anything for granted just yet!

Thought Hearts were the better team up until the 1st goal. Celtic do have a knack of hanging on in and then getting the goal against run of play to an extent.

Rangers are almost the opposite. Have all the ball and then have a knack of losing the 1st goal. There style of play hasnt changed for years. Its slow passing, get it out wide, pass it around and then either try and cross into a packed box or feed a pass into a packed box.

I think Rangers could do with a formation change. Im not sure the 1 striker suits them. I think they could go with a 352 with only 1 proper centre back sitting and the other 2 taking turns to take ball into midfield. Would mean they could play 3 more creative midfielders instead of water carriers like Lundstrum and then have 2 up top to occupy the defence.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thought Hearts were the better team up until the 1st goal. Celtic do have a knack of hanging on in and then getting the goal against run of play to an extent.

Rangers are almost the opposite. Have all the ball and then have a knack of losing the 1st goal. There style of play hasnt changed for years. Its slow passing, get it out wide, pass it around and then either try and cross into a packed box or feed a pass into a packed box.

I think Rangers could do with a formation change. Im not sure the 1 striker suits them. I think they could go with a 352 with only 1 proper centre back sitting and the other 2 taking turns to take ball into midfield. Would mean they could play 3 more creative midfielders instead of water carriers like Lundstrum and then have 2 up top to occupy the defence.

Listen, I think we are basically talking about two very average teams here. I do think we are a bit more dynamic than them and of course you have to question whether they have the mentality for it. We’ll find out over the next couple of weeks 👍

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Listen, I think we are basically talking about two very average teams here. I do think we are a bit more dynamic than them and of course you have to question whether they have the mentality for it. We’ll find out over the next couple of weeks 👍

Agreed. I actually thought Rangers had started to answer some of the bottle questions at the turn of the year but it reared it head with vengence yet again. 

Personally id give Taviner a pass as he contributes much more than he takes away. He is and has been far and away the best RB in the country for years. Goldson on the other hand is 6/10 most weeks. You rarely see him putting in a really top performance. Theres an argument that he is Rangers best CB however I would imagine he is also their best paid by a distance. The crucial thing is, ability wise he is nowhere near CCV which should be the standard for an OF centre back. If Clement could move him on and reuse the wages (maybe with a little bit for a transfer fee) then I reckon he would bite your hand off.

As you say though Celtic are also pretty poor. Id say they have 3 top players (CCV, McGregor & Oreilly) and then 4 good players in Hart, Johnston, Hatate and Meiada.

Outside of that their others players wouldnt stand out lots if they played for Hearts.

John Mcglynn pfa manager of the year. None of the OF managers were nominated. Had that ever happened in recent years?

Shankland wins pfa player of the year. Only the 2nd non OF player since 1990 to win it. Well deserved 

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

John Mcglynn pfa manager of the year. None of the OF managers were nominated. Had that ever happened in recent years?

Shankland wins pfa player of the year. Only the 2nd non OF player since 1990 to win it. Well deserved 

Agree with this 100 percent !! 👍

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Wherever the title ends up  guaranteed the losers will have cheated by the officials 😴

The title will end up at Parkhead. The losers have not, will not, and have never been cheated by officials. Celtic will win the league title win honest hard work, integrity, proper books, hard work, and a top notch coach.. The Huns have had all the help in the world from the SPL, VAR, officiating, and still could not defeat us.... Enjoy the day fellas...🖕😂

On 5/5/2024 at 2:01 PM, Fairbairn said:

I can’t for a minute think what this is in reference to? Rangers didn’t get a penalty they shouldn’t have and got one they should have. And a handball on the line is a red card every day of the week 

Even at Ibrox that wasn't a penalty until VAR got involved.  The whole point of VAR, at the outset anyway, as I understand it is not just to avoid mistakes but to also alleviate bias not cement it.   

There is absolutely no chance that if that situation plays out at the other end of the park VAR is pulling it back for a clear and obvious error, Kilmarnock getting a penalty and Rangers getting a player sent off especially when there's a potential Old Firm title decider around the corner.  Ergo it's a farce with less credibility than WWE as it's essentially working towards a scripted outcome.   

Just now, ThistleWhistle said:

Even at Ibrox that wasn't a penalty until VAR got involved.  The whole point of VAR, at the outset anyway, as I understand it is not just to avoid mistakes but to also alleviate bias not cement it.   

There is absolutely no chance that if that situation plays out at the other end of the park VAR is pulling it back for a clear and obvious error, Kilmarnock getting a penalty and Rangers getting a player sent off especially when there's a potential Old Firm title decider around the corner.  Ergo it's a farce with less credibility than WWE as it's essentially working towards a scripted outcome.   

Didn't Killie get a penalty at RP earlier in the season, which has since been determined a mistake. 

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

Didn't Killie get a penalty at RP earlier in the season, which has since been determined a mistake. 

There is going to be mistakes because VAR is still human and that's a separate discussion really - the point is though had those circumstances played out the opposite way at RP would there be confidence Rangers would have got the penalty from the same situation?  I'd suggest Rangers would have got the same penalty at RP whereas Kilmarnock were never in a million years getting what Rangers got at Ibrox.  

If that situation plays out in the OF game, regardless which way, there is no way that's being pulled back by VAR for peno with a player getting sent off - absolutely nae chance. 

Posted (edited)

I had that chat with my son last night when watching highlights.

Ball hits Taverner hand and goes in.Goal given 

Ball hits Wright's hand , doesn't go in, penalty and sending off.

Would it have been the same if it was reversed, ie Killies shot didn't go in .🤔

Both times ,not deliberate hand Ball and ball deflected away, one end away from hand and in goal and other end away from hand and not in goal 

Could have gone other way.   

Thems the breaks ...

Edited by stocky

35 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

There is going to be mistakes because VAR is still human and that's a separate discussion really - the point is though had those circumstances played out the opposite way at RP would there be confidence Rangers would have got the penalty from the same situation?  I'd suggest Rangers would have got the same penalty at RP whereas Kilmarnock were never in a million years getting what Rangers got at Ibrox.  

If that situation plays out in the OF game, regardless which way, there is no way that's being pulled back by VAR for peno with a player getting sent off - absolutely nae chance. 

Killie got a penalty at Ibrox earlier in the season, off of Souttar, which I'm also sure was overturned by the review committee. 

To suggest Killie, or any other team don't get a penalty for that is a bizarre take, he's stopped a clear goal.  Of all the decisions Rangers has been fortunate to get which others probably wouldn't, this isn't one of them. 

14 minutes ago, stocky said:

Both times ,not deliberate hand Ball and ball deflected away, one end away from hand and in goal and other end away from hand and not in goal 

Thems the breaks ...

If the Kennedy strike is going in and Tavernier stops it, then absolutely its a pen and a red.  If it's going across goal, and he handballs it, it would be a penalty but not a red.

If Wright handballed the Sterling one, and it wasn't on the line I think a penalty would have been the outcome. 

It's incredibly harsh on Wright and ruined Killie's chances on the day.  

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'm sorry but that's just hysterical nonsense.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, stocky said:

Thems the breaks ...

I don't think Tav handball can be compared to Wrights.  Tav did not prevent a goal being scored. Wrights sending off was harsh but in line with what refs apply the double jeopardy rule. Wright did not attempt to play the ball in the process of tackling his opponent so the DJ rule does not apply. 

Edited by EddardStark

We had a net bound shot blocked on the line by accidental handball vs St Johnstone earlier this season.

No penalty, no red card…..just saying 🤷🏼‍♂️

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, slasher said:

We had a net bound shot blocked on the line by accidental handball vs St Johnstone earlier this season.

No penalty, no red card…..just saying 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe Wrights handball wasn't deemed accidental. And the one that wasn't given on Sun was deemed accidental/unintentional. 

I'm not sure what the hysteria about Sunday is. I think all three VAR intervention decisions were correct. 

Edited by EddardStark

Sevco are rattled, Phillip Flop is rattled.. I am pumped for Saturday.. Brendan knows the craic.. Just dropped off Mrs.Ramy at work, and I am off to a cigar shop !!!! Nae joke !! 😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Sevco are rattled, Phillip Flop is rattled.. I am pumped for Saturday.. Brendan knows the craic.. Just dropped off Mrs.Ramy at work, and I am off to a cigar shop !!!! Nae joke !! 😂😂😂😂

What day will you and the family start the bigotry and is it only for Old Firms, or is it for every game?

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Agreed,

4 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

Killie got a penalty at Ibrox earlier in the season, off of Souttar, which I'm also sure was overturned by the review committee. 

No idea why it was overturned, it was a clear pen. 

4 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

If the Kennedy strike is going in and Tavernier stops it, then absolutely its a pen and a red.  If it's going across goal, and he handballs it, it would be a penalty but not a red.

If Wright handballed the Sterling one, and it wasn't on the line I think a penalty would have been the outcome. 

It's incredibly harsh on Wright and ruined Killie's chances on the day.  

So Tav was just lucky it hit his arm and went in? Wright was unlucky it hit his arm and stopped it going in? Both were accidental but one ruined the game as a contest within 20 mins. Farcical decision. 

Johnston is Celtic stopped the ball on the line (not intentionally and stopped a goal for us earlier on this season. Never went to Var, never got a pen and never got a red. 

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm sorry but that's just hysterical nonsense.

If it was you lot you'd have had a statement out by 5pm demanding to hear the VAR audio.