Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

People just do not grasp rudimentaries of international football.

The Ukraine away and Norway last night were matches where caution was needed. A draw for us was gold dust so you set up with defensive mindset especially when looking to counter world class striker such as Haaland. We did that to a tee in both games to a degree that likes of Italy would have been pleased with it. The main part of strategy is not to concede and if you can get a goal yourself then great but if not it is not a disaster. When that minset is in play you are not going to get an expansive display full of attacking intent. I am staggered people do not get that. That is not shite play but strategy to get you a point.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I didnt mean norways goal. I meant our first goal.

Were you happy with our performance prior to that?

I am just going to leave it now as i dont want to sit and argue when it should be a time to celebrate. 

Nobody is more happy than me that we got the result.

I think I was pretty clear in my last response so I won’t repeat myself. 

You were clearly looking for something different from the game than I was which is fair enough but you really need to bear in mind that we are not France or Argentina. We can’t really go away to the third pot team (probably the best third pot team) and dominate them. 

Clarke’s game plan was working until Porteous decided to grab Haaland’s shirt and give the ref a decision to make. We won that game because we were still in it with a few minutes to go. If Clarke had set us up to be more attacking we could have been 2 or 3 down by the time we scored our first goal. 

Certain players could obviously have played better and if they had we might have been a bit better to watch and would likely have created a couple of more chances but given the heat and the importance of the game I think they did OK. 

5 hours ago, daviebee said:

That's actually wrong.  Had a nagging feeling it was and the answer came back to me.  Same opponents funnily enough and the circumstances weren't QUITE as dramatic.  Anyone else remember it?  Good pub quiz question.

Norway in 78, Jock Stein's first game in charge for a second time. Jim Stewart was sick with nerves in the dressing room beforehand and threw one in the net in the first minutes. 

Almost as late was the fight back v Estonia at Tynecastle for Euro2000.

And of course England in 2017 should've been 😖

I think last night was the latest ever we've been losing and come back to win though.

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Norway in 78, Jock Stein's first game in charge for a second time. Jim Stewart was sick with nerves in the dressing room beforehand and threw one in the net in the first minutes. 

I think last night was the latest ever we've been losing and come back to win though.

Was that the Andy Gray "penalty" game?

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I remember Archie Gemmill scored the winner from the spot.

I'm fairly sure that's the penalty that Andy Gray took a dive to get us? Jock Stein was not happy about it. Although it won us the game, big Jock hated diving and made sure that Andy Gray knew about it. I might be getting mixed up with a different game though?

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

you have already resorted to calling me a bellend like the child you are. If you dont like my opinion then ignore it and move on. If you want to discuss it like an adult then fair enough but learn to respect others opinions. 

If you think we played well then fair enough, i dont and i think we didnt deserve the victory. I was perhaps over the top in saying we didnt deserve the draw but i dont think we really deserved much out the match going by our performance. Even when we got the first goal i was kind of gobsmacked that we might get a draw out the game and i was extremely happy with that. 

Getting the victory was insane and it really was rarity to see us pull off a result in that manner.

If you want to tell yourself we played well up until the goals then fair enough but resorting to calling me a bellend because you dont like my opinion is pretty pathetic.

The team which scores the most goals wins a football match mate. That is how football matches are decided. The team which scores the most goals deserves to win. 

If a boxer loses the first 11 rounds of a boxing match but comes out for the last round like a maniac and batters his opponent and knocks him out does he not deserve to win the fight? 

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm fairly sure that's the penalty that Andy Gray took a dive to get us? Jock Stein was not happy about it. Although it won us the game, big Jock hated diving and made sure that Andy Gray knew about it. I might be getting mixed up with a different game though?

Found some grainy footage with a French bloke talking over Arthur. Didn't look too blatant a dive...

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

People just do not grasp rudimentaries of international football.

The Ukraine away and Norway last night were matches where caution was needed. A draw for us was gold dust so you set up with defensive mindset especially when looking to counter world class striker such as Haaland. We did that to a tee in both games to a degree that likes of Italy would have been pleased with it. The main part of strategy is not to concede and if you can get a goal yourself then great but if not it is not a disaster. When that minset is in play you are not going to get an expansive display full of attacking intent. I am staggered people do not get that. That is not shite play but strategy to get you a point.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You're thinking of the 82 WC qualifier v Sweden at Hampden where we won 2-0 with big Joe getting the first.  Gray admitted he "played for the penalty" for the second.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Found some grainy footage with a French bloke talking over Arthur. Didn't look too blatant a dive...

That footage didn't show Andy Gray's reaction after he got up off the deck. It was a blatant dive and he knew exactly what he was doing. Remember in those days, you had to actually kick a player to give away a free kick. 😉

Why did the Scotland team not wear black armbands yesterday in memory of Gordon McQueen ?

And there are big differences between "being lucky" and "riding your luck"  

50 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Interesting as well that we were actually behind in that game for 44 minutes unlike last night.  The Norwegians must've been sick but I don't really remember giving a fck back then either.  😂

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Why did the Scotland team not wear black armbands yesterday in memory of Gordon McQueen ?

Pretty sure they did. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Pretty sure they did. 

Just rewatched the highlights and you are right - but they are barely noticeable

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They had wee small ones on, think it was just bits of tape.

We were pretty poor last night was a shite game to watch. Norway also not up to much, we kept big dafty quiet enough and took our chances when they thought they had it in the bag. Wish we had a go from the start but we got the result and that's all that mattered. Pub was bouncing great wee night.

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just rewatched the highlights and you are right - but they are barely noticeable

Yeah I just had another look and they were quite hard to see on some players due to the trim of the top and they seemed to be quite narrow. 

It was obvious on Gunn’s top though which is probably why I noticed. 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Robbo was man of the match, IMO. Followed closely by Dykes and MacGregor for their work rate. Folk who think MacGregor had a poor game aren't watching properly.

Our central defence looked shaky, which I think was more down to Haaland's reputation, rather than anything that he did. Hopefully that experience can help them gain confidence for the future. They need to learn not to fear any of the opposition before they have even kicked a ball. Hickey had his poorest game in a Scotland shirt. Don't know what was up with him but he just didn't seem right from the start.

Pass marks for the rest of the team with a special mention for McLean. He is the type of player that any international manager would like to have waiting to come off the bench any time that he is required.

I'm glad someone has decided to finally talk about the players!

Robbo was superb, and has been for us pretty consistently the past few years. He was the main driving force we had through most of the match. I'd love it if he surpassed Dalglish's cap haul.

I don't think anyone had a particularly bad game. Hickey and McTominay were pretty quiet, but so were most of our players until the subs were made. 

I think Gilmour may have played himself into a starting berth on Tuesday. You could see his confidence has come roaring back. Though it's hard to say who should be dropped. If Tierney doesn't make it, then we could afford an extra midfielder in a 4-5-1.

My heart says give McLean a start, but my brain says save him as a supersub.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Was that not against Sweden in the WC '82 qualifiers? John Robertson scored the penalty.

“If Tierney doesn't make it, then we could afford an extra midfielder in a 4-5-1.”

I’d like to see this, we could still have Christie or Armstrong in support of Dykes but have an extra man in midfield. Give Gilmour a start and give Ferguson some time on the pitch to show what he can do.

19 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

“If Tierney doesn't make it, then we could afford an extra midfielder in a 4-5-1.”

I’d like to see this, we could still have Christie or Armstrong in support of Dykes but have an extra man in midfield. Give Gilmour a start and give Ferguson some time on the pitch to show what he can do.

It would also give McTominay a bit more freedom to maraud forward than he was allowed against Norway. 

I don't think Christie was particularly effective against Norway, but he is one of those players that can conjour magic. So I wouldn't be too quick to drop him. But I also wouldn't be against Armstrong or Ferguson getting a shot from the start.