Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes, I was happy with the performance prior to the Norway goal. I wasn’t particularly happy with our performance between then and our first goal. I was also disappointed with Clarke’s choice of subs but it turns out I was wrong about that. 

I understand that it takes a different type of performance to win away from home against a team of a similar standard to our own. Do you? 

Did you think we were going to come out all guns blazing in that game? That would likely been disastrous. 

Following football and actually understanding it are two completely different things. I actually don’t think you are clueless about football (based on what I have seen you say on here before) but some of your comments tonight are questionable. 

I think you really need to look at the following:

How many shots did on target did Norway have? 

How many corners did Norway have?

How many goals did Norway score? 

Were we slightly fortunate to win yesterday? Possibly but I don’t think we deserved to lose. Norway would have been lucky if they had won. Just my opinion of course. 

I didnt mean norways goal. I meant our first goal.

Were you happy with our performance prior to that?

I am just going to leave it now as i dont want to sit and argue when it should be a time to celebrate. 

Nobody is more happy than me that we got the result.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, biffer said:

How’s that different from Norway? They were fucking shit.

Both teams were shit. Neither created much clear cut chances and both looked devoid of any creativity. Norway played slightly better overall but we got lucky with the first goal and then managed a brilliant move to finish them.

A draw was probably the fair result but if i was norwegian i would be gutted and i would be wondering how the hell they managed to lose the game against a team who never looked like remotely scoring. 

1 hour ago, biffer said:

If Haaland had scored the first Scotland goal people would be stroking themselves about his classy finish. 

It was a bloody great goal. Kenny McLean actually deserves a bit of credit for making the run that dragged the defender out of position, allowing Dykes to nip in. And of course the forward pass from McGinn made it all happen. 

Football is all about exploiting weaknesses and capitalising on mistakes. Why are we seemingly embarrassed to score goals in this manner? 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Here's your answer Ally, even we're not old enough to remember...

That's actually wrong.  Had a nagging feeling it was and the answer came back to me.  Same opponents funnily enough and the circumstances weren't QUITE as dramatic.  Anyone else remember it?  Good pub quiz question.

Edited by daviebee

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It was a bloody great goal. Kenny McLean actually deserves a bit of credit for making the run that dragged the defender out of position, allowing Dykes to nip in. And of course the forward pass from McGinn made it all happen. 

Football is all about exploiting weaknesses and capitalising on mistakes. Why are we seemingly embarrassed to score goals in this manner? 

Whos embarrassed by that goal?

Great result shows character, right mentality, strong team ethic, belief in each other and commitment 

Performance was poor up to the goals as others have said but so what. I honestly think a couple of key factors played their role in that the heat, the fact many players hadnt played in weeks and the fact it was at the end of a longer than usual season. Norway didnt play great either. However the performance doesnt really bother me in any way every team has poor performances but good teams win when they have poor performances which we did. Also we were the away team at a very decent side not many teams are going to control the game when they are away to a good team  

Also really dont see the lucky aspect as some others have commented on. The goals werent lucky. And Norway werent unlucky in terms of they missed a load of guilt edge chances. Honestly think Clarke had a pragmatic game plan which we stuck to however the passing, control of the game and movement wasnt as good as it could be 

Lets celebrate the win and look forward to Georgia. 

In 25 years of following the team i dont think i have ever enjoyed it as much as i am now and never had a quiet confidence like now in the management and team 

3 minutes ago, borojock said:

Great result shows character, right mentality, strong team ethic, belief in each other and commitment 

Performance was poor up to the goals as others have said but so what. I honestly think a couple of key factors played their role in that the heat, the fact many players hadnt played in weeks and the fact it was at the end of a longer than usual season. Norway didnt play great either. However the performance doesnt really bother me in any way every team has poor performances but good teams win when they have poor performances which we did. Also we were the away team at a very decent side not many teams are going to control the game when they are away to a good team  

Also really dont see the lucky aspect as some others have commented on. The goals werent lucky. And Norway werent unlucky in terms of they missed a load of guilt edge chances. Honestly think Clarke had a pragmatic game plan which we stuck to however the passing, control of the game and movement wasnt as good as it could be 

Lets celebrate the win and look forward to Georgia. 

In 25 years of following the team i dont think i have ever enjoyed it as much as i am now and never had a quiet confidence like now in the management and team 

You saying there was no luck involved in our first goal? 

Not even the slightest?

28 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Both teams were shit. Neither created much clear cut chances and both looked devoid of any creativity. Norway played slightly better overall but we got lucky with the first goal and then managed a brilliant move to finish them.

A draw was probably the fair result but if i was norwegian i would be gutted and i would be wondering how the hell they managed to lose the game against a team who never looked like remotely scoring. 

You’re all over the place mate. In an earlier post you said we didn’t deserve a draw either. 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not even the slightest?

Honestly no i wouldn't say so - however its subjective and this is only my opinion, respect you may do and thats fine 

Luck insinuates something that happens by chance or very unlikely to happen 

It came from poor control from their defender, they werent great all game poor passes, control and possession (as we did). Dykes chased it down which he often does and it paid off. 

Therefore the poor control from their defender wasn't unreasonable to expect due to the fact its was late in the game, they would have been tired, mistakes often happen and he's not a great player 

The movement from Dykes wasnt unreasonable as thats what he does.  

I would expect Dykes to score many other goals like that throughout his career therefore wouldnt suggest it would an unusual outcome 

But as said its all opinion and respect your opinion differs from mine 

38 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I didnt mean norways goal. I meant our first goal.

Were you happy with our performance prior to that?

I am just going to leave it now as i dont want to sit and argue when it should be a time to celebrate. 

Nobody is more happy than me that we got the result.

Are ye aye?? 🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Whos embarrassed by that goal?

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not even the slightest?

I would actually leave it now mate if I were you. Sometimes you have to accept that literally everyone else can’t be wrong and you right. 
I agree with the guy who said if you think we were shite then you don’t know much about football. 

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

Are ye aye?? 🤣🤣

I would actually leave it now mate if I were you. Sometimes you have to accept that literally everyone else can’t be wrong and you right. 
I agree with the guy who said if you think we were shite then you don’t know much about football. 

you have already resorted to calling me a bellend like the child you are. If you dont like my opinion then ignore it and move on. If you want to discuss it like an adult then fair enough but learn to respect others opinions. 

If you think we played well then fair enough, i dont and i think we didnt deserve the victory. I was perhaps over the top in saying we didnt deserve the draw but i dont think we really deserved much out the match going by our performance. Even when we got the first goal i was kind of gobsmacked that we might get a draw out the game and i was extremely happy with that. 

Getting the victory was insane and it really was rarity to see us pull off a result in that manner.

If you want to tell yourself we played well up until the goals then fair enough but resorting to calling me a bellend because you dont like my opinion is pretty pathetic.

The only luck for me was their coach taking off Haaland which was batshit bonkers to be honest.

However, we fully exploited it by pushing 20 yards up the pitch and went 4 at the back.

Yesterday proved we are a proper side for me - once we scored there wasn't a hint of camping on the edge of our box to squeak it out but immediately went for the jugular.  

14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

How was it lucky?

Really? Go and rewatch it on youtube. Its a complete clusterfuck from the norwegian defence, its a complete fuck up by them that allows dykes in to finish it. Fair play to dykes though i think he does well to get through and finish it but i think even he would admit theres an element of luck there. 

It also came out of no where. We hardly created a chance all match. It wasnt like we created loads of chances and then finally made a break through. 

Edited by mccaughey85

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really? Go and rewatch it on youtube. Its a complete clusterfuck from the norwegian defence, its a complete fuck up by them that allows dykes in to finish it. Fair play to dykes though i think he does well to get through and finish it i think even he would admit theres an element of luck there. 

It also came out of no where. We hardly created a chance all match. It wasnt like we created loads of chances and then finally made a break through. 

It was poor play by the Norwegian defence. I don’t think that’s lucky. Lucky would be if it took a bobble before he kicked it. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really? Go and rewatch it on youtube. Its a complete clusterfuck from the norwegian defence, its a complete fuck up by them that allows dykes in to finish it. Fair play to dykes though i think he does well to get through and finish it but i think even he would admit theres an element of luck there. 

Wouldn’t say that’s luck 

Just now, bigfingers said:

It was poor play by the Norwegian defence. I don’t think that’s lucky. Lucky would be if it took a bobble before he kicked it. 

Fair enough but in my opinion there was a massive element of luck in that goal not to mention the fact we hardly looked like scoring before that. It really came out of nowhere that goal and i couldnt believe our luck when we got it.

What a feeling waking up after this win.

young Scotland fans now are fairly spoiled but that’s brilliant. The new generation of fans should be a lot more positive the same way the new generation of players are.

How good a job does big Lyndon do for us. Absolutely love him. 

Really happy for Robertson too - one of his best performances last night i think.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿❤️

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Wouldn’t say that’s luck 

A team that hasnt looked like scoring the whole match suddenly gets a goal through comical defending. To me thats got an element of luck to it.

Nothing wrong with it, we have been on the end of bad luck in the past so i aint complaining.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really? Go and rewatch it on youtube. Its a complete clusterfuck from the norwegian defence, its a complete fuck up by them that allows dykes in to finish it. Fair play to dykes though i think he does well to get through and finish it i think even he would admit theres an element of luck there. 

Statuesque defending equates to shite play in my book but yet you say Norway fans should be distraught they lost. Sorry but if I were a Scotland my take would be with shite defending like that you do not deserve anything from a game.

You are not grasping the rudimentary facts of the game so let me explain it to you. This was a must win game for Norway and a game that a draw would have been a good result for is. We ended up with the same shots on goal as them and scored the goal of the night. That tells me Norway's play and gameplan was inferior to ours. Their play never created more chances than us who were set up defensively and their gameplan was inferior given the end result.

Kenny Miller summed it up for me on Sportscene last night - overall we have the better team. Norway have a couple of superstars but throughout the team we have the better quality. This is backed up by recent form of both sides.

I really do not understand why you are so vociferously arguing the point we were lucky and/or did not deserve it. We came with a gameplan to stifle Haaland which we did and avoid defeat which we did. We get that you are adamant we didn't deserve it but to hear,a Scotland fan today argue so vocally about it is bizarre.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Statuesque defending equates to shite play in my book but yet you say Norway fans should be distraught they lost. Sorry but if I were a Scotland my take would be with shite defending like that you do not deserve anything from a game.

You are not grasping the rudimentary facts of the game so let me explain it to you. This was a must win game for Norway and a game that a draw would have been a good result for is. We ended up with the same shots on goal as them and scored the goal of the night. That tells me Norway's play and gameplan was inferior to ours. Their play never created more chances than us who were set up defensively and their gameplan was inferior given the end result.

Kenny Miller summed it up for me on Sportscene last night - overall we have the better team. Norway have a couple of superstars but throughout the team we have the better quality. This is backed up by recent form of both sides.

I really do not understand why you are so vociferously arguing the point we were lucky and/or did not deserve it. We came with a gameplan to stifle Haaland which we did and avoid defeat which we did. We get that you are adamant we didn't deserve it but to hear,a Scotland fan today argue so vocally about it is bizarre.

He seems to prefer it when we were shite.