u21 v Sweden - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u21 v Sweden

er yir macaroon

Gotta say both our goals were brilliant. The speed with which mebude side steps his opponent and drills the shot in the net is frightening.

Fiorinis technique for his goal is brilliant as well, the way he catches/strikes the ball is similar to how scholes used to. 

Gotta say if gemmell cant get results with this group of players then he has to go. I know its not all about results at youth level but this crop of players is very promising and we should be looking at beating alot of the weaker nations. 

3 hours ago, todd said:

He's eligible for them and he's good, ergo...

His goal was good and he had good moments but to be honest he has some major things to work on too. His choice of option was often poor and his short range passing was lazy. He is very young for this age group though, so plenty time to improve these things.

The 'good' thing about that is if he were to be picked for England he would likely at best be asked to play for their U19s. England U21s have several players playing at a far higher level than him including Cameron Archer who is getting plenty gametime in the Championship for Middlesborough (although I think as a striker rather than a winger), Madueke who has 50 career appearances for PSV and is now getting EPL gametime for Chelsea and even Anthony Gordon who although nominally a striker also plays wide right (and is, ironically, Scotland qualified). I think he would struggle to break into the England U19 squad too though as there he would likely be up against Shola Shoretire who is playing for Bolton in league 1 (on loan from Man U) regularly enough or Jamie Bynoe-Gittens at Dortmund who is another of the obnoxiously talented English players at German clubs who seem to be popping up frustratingly regularly.

I think there is little danger of him changing lanes at this point, even if he did want to. I think we get quite excited, naturally, about players his age doing well in PL2 or whatever but the reality is the big nations have guys of that age doing the same thing at big 5 league / champions league level. I suppose that's why we are all so excited about Ben Doak, he is the first genuine potentially generational Scottish talent of my lifetime, and I am almost 40.

47 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

His goal was good and he had good moments but to be honest he has some major things to work on too. His choice of option was often poor and his short range passing was lazy. He is very young for this age group though, so plenty time to improve these things.

The 'good' thing about that is if he were to be picked for England he would likely at best be asked to play for their U19s. England U21s have several players playing at a far higher level than him including Cameron Archer who is getting plenty gametime in the Championship for Middlesborough (although I think as a striker rather than a winger), Madueke who has 50 career appearances for PSV and is now getting EPL gametime for Chelsea and even Anthony Gordon who although nominally a striker also plays wide right (and is, ironically, Scotland qualified). I think he would struggle to break into the England U19 squad too though as there he would likely be up against Shola Shoretire who is playing for Bolton in league 1 (on loan from Man U) regularly enough or Jamie Bynoe-Gittens at Dortmund who is another of the obnoxiously talented English players at German clubs who seem to be popping up frustratingly regularly.

I think there is little danger of him changing lanes at this point, even if he did want to. I think we get quite excited, naturally, about players his age doing well in PL2 or whatever but the reality is the big nations have guys of that age doing the same thing at big 5 league / champions league level. I suppose that's why we are all so excited about Ben Doak, he is the first genuine potentially generational Scottish talent of my lifetime, and I am almost 40.

Perhaps our u21s isnt that amazing when you consider countries like england and france have players regulary playing in the top leagues.

Still it does look like a decent batch of players. Lets hope some of them make it big.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Many said the same about Billy Gilmour.

and eon Jess, and paul mcstay… and….

we haven’t had a truly world class player since the early 80s.. but a never ending stream of potential with the occasional player knocking at the door, like Andrew Robertson.

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

and eon Jess, and paul mcstay… and….

we haven’t had a truly world class player since the early 80s.. but a never ending stream of potential with the occasional player knocking at the door, like Andrew Robertson.

Robertson probably is world class but, unfortunately for us, it's in one of the least important positions on a football pitch 😏

16 minutes ago, todd said:

Robertson probably is world class but, unfortunately for us, it's in one of the least important positions on a football pitch 😏

yeah, possibly he is.  World class to me means in the top few for his position in the world.  Dalglish probably was in the late 70s. Aside from that, maybe souness, although there were lots of great central midfielders then - platini, Socrates, etc.

After that, you would struggle.  

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

yeah, possibly he is.  World class to me means in the top few for his position in the world.  Dalglish probably was in the late 70s. Aside from that, maybe souness, although there were lots of great central midfielders then - platini, Socrates, etc.

I think Tierney is better than Robertson.

Doak does seem to be our best attacking prospect in a very long time. I’ve high hopes for Rory Wilson but too early to tell.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Over the past 5 years or so Robertson is probably in the top 3 or so left backs in the world. Most assists in EPL history for a defender, champions league and EPL winner and nailed on starter for team consistently challenging for EPL and in later stages of Champions league.

Cant be many with better credentials than that.

For me world class means being consistently in the top 10/15 in your position for several years.

Gk

Fullbacks

Midfielders

Wingers/forwards

Strikers

Each of those positions has about 10/15 world class players. 

Robertson has undoubtedly been a top 10 fullback the last 5 or 6 years so i would consider him world class.

We havent had a player who consistently made the top 10/15 in any of those positions since dalglish imo.

Mcallister, collins and lambert probably had brief periods where they were in and around the top 15 midfielders but i dont think they consistently made the top 15. Maybe some might disagree with that but imo they were just short of world class status.