SNP leadership election - Page 114 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

10 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I'm sure it didn't all happen by accident.  i'm inclined to think there are folk within the SNP deliberately harming the party, whether by bringing forwards daft legislation that the public hate or by other even more devious means.  maybe some stuff will come to light via the Salmond case.

I wouldn’t put money on that case even coming to court.  The reason why he’s lodged a case now is because the SG conceded his case in Jan 2019 and he has five years before he can bring a case.

Its a very high bar that he has to prove which is why cases such as this rarely go to court and wins are even rarer.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I wouldn’t put money on that case even coming to court.  The reason why he’s lodged a case now is because the SG conceded his case in Jan 2019 and he has five years before he can bring a case.

Its a very high bar that he has to prove which is why cases such as this rarely go to court and wins are even rarer.

Yes, the timing is clearly to avoid the case going beyond the time limit.  May well get settled out of court anyway although how embarrassing would that be for Sturgeon?  I can see why Salmond is not willing to let it go.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 4:07 PM, Alibi said:

Yes, the timing is clearly to avoid the case going beyond the time limit.  May well get settled out of court anyway although how embarrassing would that be for Sturgeon?  I can see why Salmond is not willing to let it go.

theres no way he will let it go,,, anyways,, who we got for the next SNP leader?

17 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

just internal posturing, however there seems to be more traction this time

Good - He is too much of an easy target and will never lead Scotland to Independence

We need someone that is going to be less defensive and grab the bull by the baws sharpish and not let the likes of Angela Constance or Fiona Hyslop go on Question Time etc

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Good - He is too much of an easy target and will never lead Scotland to Independence

We need someone that is going to be less defensive and grab the bull by the baws sharpish and not let the likes of Angela Constance or Fiona Hyslop go on Question Time etc

They have already handed Angus McNeil's seat to Quisling Torquil Crichton

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ally Bongo said:

They have already handed Angus McNeil's seat to Quisling Torquil Crichton

Pathetic i know, but I dont think I could bring myself to vote for anyone called Torquil , regardless of their political beliefs. Apologies to any Torquil’s on the board. 

28 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

so who we got for the next snp leader? humza will be out by june at the latest

The only possible candidate as far as i can see is Kate Forbes

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

The only possible candidate as far as i can see is Kate Forbes

the sturgeonites are trying to push mcallan who i believe has huge potential under the right guidannce, actually i think its a massive shame she has came through under the reigns of sturgeon which has clouded her judgement to an extent, she has been found wanting this past year or so and is out of her depth just now, the other two they were pinning their hopes on were robertson and smyth who have also been found out.. Forbes as i have said before would be the natural leader to step in however i dont think she would cut it being in opposition 

18 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the sturgeonites are trying to push mcallan who i believe has huge potential under the right guidannce, actually i think its a massive shame she has came through under the reigns of sturgeon which has clouded her judgement to an extent, she has been found wanting this past year or so and is out of her depth just now, the other two they were pinning their hopes on were robertson and smyth who have also been found out.. Forbes as i have said before would be the natural leader to step in however i dont think she would cut it being in opposition 

I know what you mean about Forbes as an opposition leader but surely - surely - she wouldn't lose an election to Douglas Ross or current media favourite Anas Sarwar. 

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

timing of the new leader will be crucial for the next holyrood election

its too late. Humza has already blown it big time.  Anecdotally, I am now seeing massive backlash against the snp on things like LinkedIn where the party is being positioned as economically illiterate and small businss owners openly come out on the platform and provide damning examples of how his high tax Scotland is affecting them.  This is unusual as it’s normally a platform free from politics.

I think labour and the Lib Dems are going to do well by doing nothing.

westminster must be laughing as Humza has fallen in to the trap of taking the easy option of taxing the middle classes rather than fixing growth.  Economic growth is te only way out of this horrible situation the country is descending in to.

I will watch with some amusement to see how the Greens react and start whoring themselves around to other parties in the event of a hung parliament.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

its too late. Humza has already blown it big time.  Anecdotally, I am now seeing massive backlash against the snp on things like LinkedIn where the party is being positioned as economically illiterate and small businss owners openly come out on the platform and provide damning examples of how his high tax Scotland is affecting them.  This is unusual as it’s normally a platform free from politics.

westminster must be laughing as Humza has fallen in to the trap of taking the easy option of taxing the middle classes rather than fixing growth.  Economic growth is te only way out of this horrible situation the country is descending in to.

I will watch with some amusement to see how the Greens react and start whoring themselves around to other parties in the event of a hung parliament.

the snp support to an extent wont go anywhere else in the short term, they will stay at home however how long that lasts i am not sure, again, timing is crucial and personally i believe the party will recoup most of the loses once the sturgeonites and greens are kicked out of influence. That being said, i have never seen the general public so disillusioned at the snp as they are at the moment, even the kick back from the Scottish brexiteeers post brexit is nothing on this scale, i see the snp possibly going below 10 seats at the next GE

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the snp support to an extent wont go anywhere else in the short term, they will stay at home however how long that lasts i am not sure, again, timing is crucial and personally i believe the party will recoup most of the loses once the sturgeonites and greens are kicked out of influence. That being said, i have never seen the general public so disillusioned at the snp as they are at the moment, even the kick back from the Scottish brexiteeers post brexit is nothing on this scale, i see the snp possibly going below 10 seats at the next GE

they have lost the centre ground for two reasons. Firstly, the lurch to the far left on things like GRR, taxation, etc., and secondly nobody believes they can deliver independence.

some voters might put up with the first if they still felt the second could be delivered.  

now that independence is no more than a pipe dream, the aspirational Scot will vote with self interest rather than national interest. You are othe that there is a core that will vote snp on a one policy basis but that’s a small core.

This year was a year of choice for the party and the made the wrong one. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.   It’s a 5-10 year recovery from that IF they get someone like Forbes with a decent business brain rather than pursue radical far left policies.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

A massive backlash on LinkedIn...... can you provide evidence and also what do you mean by massive?

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A massive backlash on LinkedIn...... can you provide evidence and also what do you mean by massive?

until the last month I have rarely seen outwardly political posts on LinkedIn.  Now I see many people make statements about how recent tax policies will affect their business, why it is disincentivising them from expanding their business or simply their own position.. 

here are a couple of quotes from CEOs in the first few items in my feed today…

“Although we were very pleased to see an increase in funding earmarked to support digital connectivity, it was less encouraging to see tax changes that will have a significant negative impact on the competitiveness of technology companies when it comes to attracting and retaining the very best talent."

“Rather depressing read, but where are the incentives for our wealth creators? We are taxing people into submission & sadly a number will leave.”

it’s the volume of this.  Every day over the past few weeks there are several of these posts about half a dozen or more when I saw maybe one every few weeks..

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

How in your opinion should the SNP "fix growth"?

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

How in your opinion should the SNP "fix growth"?

That's easy, the answer is 

1. Ensure malcolm pays less tax or no tax at all

2. Give malcolm free heat pumps 

3. Make sure roads to hampden are clear for malcolm and Make sure there's private transport with no delays for malcolm

4. Just please malcolm 

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

3. Make sure roads to hampden are clear for malcolm and Make sure there's private transport with no delays for malcolm

4. Just please malcolm 

Aye. I doubt we'll get a meaningful answer from Malcolm.

If Westminster was serious about 'fixing' Scottish growth they'd give the Scottish parliament to power to lower corporation tax thereby giving Scotland a competitive advantage over the rUK. They'd cut Scotland a deal similar to Northern Ireland's which allows it access to the EU. They'd allow the Scottish government to keep its overseas operations going to attract foreign investment instead of moaning about 'Airmiles Angus' or whatever.

But they'll do none of that because it would undermine their precious precious union. Far better to keep Scotland poor and dependent on fiscal transfers, while simultaneously looting its natural resources and brightest people.

The unionist parties have zero interest in Scottish economic growth. Zero.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

4. Just please malcolm 

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

If Westminster was serious about 'fixing' Scottish growth they'd give the Scottish parliament to power to lower corporation tax thereby giving Scotland a competitive advantage over the rUK. They'd cut Scotland a deal similar to Northern Ireland's which allows it access to the EU. They'd allow the Scottish government to keep its overseas operations going to attract foreign investment instead of moaning about 'Airmiles Angus' or whatever.

But they'll do none of that because it would undermine their precious precious union. Far better to keep Scotland poor and dependent on fiscal transfers, while simultaneously looting its natural resources and brightest people.

Spot on Dave.

Truth be told, they've only a perfunctory interest in stimulating economic growth anywhere that isn't the city of London; maybe the odd bit of loose change or a token sop thrown to the regions and shires just before election time but little more than that.

Never in a million years though would they do anything that allowed Scotland to demonstrate its potential to be a viable independent country. We're just too valuable to them.

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Great post 👍