SNP leadership election - Page 111 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

39 minutes ago, aaid said:

So you’ve no examples of anything she’s actually done then, sounds like she talks a good game.  

Some people will make the same comment about Nicola Sturgeon.

Not me, but a number of people do. I think they are wrong , but I think you are wrong too. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair , she's the bestest, most intelligent person in the whole wide SNP is a cringe fanboi argument. Even if Aaid is going to perpetually defend the SNP.

I sort of despair when the debate is no more nuanced than two 13 year olds with a poster of Cherry and a poster of Sturgeon on their wall arguing. While folk line up to take sides rather than call out this low-iq shit show for what it is.

fucking dregs of political discourse in here.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

To be fair , she's the bestest, most intelligent person in the whole wide SNP is a cringe fanboi argument. Even if Aaid is going to perpetually defend the SNP.

I sort of despair when the debate is no more nuanced than two 13 year olds with a poster of Cherry and a poster of Sturgeon on their wall arguing. While folk line up to take sides rather than call out this low-iq shit show for what it is.

I’m not quite sure where you think I’m defending the SNP here.  I think the party would be a lot better without her.

11 minutes ago, phart said:

I could give you a list of SNP MPs/MSPs and you could tell us who you think is better than Cherry

I'll make it easy - there are no MSPs including Forbes

15 hours ago, phart said:

Taking sides is one way of looking at it, another way to look at it is simply having an opinion of someone. 
Taking sides is a fundamental part of politics. People tend to look for someone to blame. Unfortunately its way past that. 

Was at my local SNP meeting last night. I was the only person with any concerns except one other person whose main concern was Labour creeping up. Absolutely no awareness of the reasons why Labour are creeping up. 
Everything blamed on the media. I do understand that to a degree as the whole thing has been a circus, but they just simply could not see why the fact money is unaccounted for was a problem. Said it was spent on elections and when I asked why Murrell etc just didn’t admit that no one could answer. That is the fookin problem and they cant see it. 
My branch has a lot of good, traditional SNP supporters in it and I very much respect many of them, but I think they have become blind to the problems the party is facing. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Was at my local SNP meeting last night. I was the only person with any concerns except one other person whose main concern was Labour creeping up. Absolutely no awareness of the reasons why Labour are creeping up. 
Everything blamed on the media. I do understand that to a degree as the whole thing has been a circus, but they just simply could not see why the fact money is unaccounted for was a problem. Said it was spent on elections and when I asked why Murrell etc just didn’t admit that no one could answer. That is the fookin problem and they cant see it. 
My branch has a lot of good, traditional SNP supporters in it and I very much respect many of them, but I think they have become blind to the problems the party is facing. 

The criteria in a party who's raison d'etre is Independence should be to have elected representatives that might, you know, be able to convince those on the other side

That is long gone within the SNP - you only have to look at the Holyrood front bench - Yousaf, Robison, Somerville & Gray

When you get SNP members, who you would think are desperate for Independence, vehemently against people like Joanna Cherry because of her stance on gender ideology, and how the party has influenced that, then the Independence game is a bogey

The SNP is lost and is currently not a party that wants Independence

20 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Some people will make the same comment about Nicola Sturgeon.

Not me, but a number of people do. I think they are wrong , but I think you are wrong too. 

She was certainly good at talking a good game. pulled the wool over plenty of folks eyes. 

She did plenty good but also found wanting on a number of issues. She knew folk had confidence in her and i think she exploited that. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I couldn't sit and listen to that. Main reason why i left the SNP was the fact that many would rather blame others than actually be accountable themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

She was certainly good at talking a good game. pulled the wool over plenty of folks eyes. 

She did plenty good but also found wanting on a number of issues. She knew folk had confidence in her and i think she exploited that. 

I go back and forth with the SNP right now. One Minute i think they're in a massive mess but the next I wonder if its just the unionist media making it sound a lot worse than it is

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I go back and forth with the SNP right now. One Minute i think they're in a massive mess but the next I wonder if its just the unionist media making it sound a lot worse than it is

Personally I don’t think people realise what a mess they are in, and this next year will be worse, still more to come out regarding the sturrells, the HMPA’s, GRR, oil and gas stance, back tracking on infrastructure projects, the proposed jury free trails,, all fucking insane policies that to me, seemed designed to lose support 

52 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yes, they both speak well and they both will have achieved something . Aaid was suggesting Cherry had done nothing and so I was just pointing out how some people feel the same about NS. In reality they could both have done more, but to suggest they have done nothing is wrong . IMO. 

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I couldn't sit and listen to that. Main reason why i left the SNP was the fact that many would rather blame others than actually be accountable themselves. 

I was really struggling tbh. At the end, one long term member came up to me and said ‘ so what was it you were so worried about’ , whilst laughing. If he wasn’t an old guy I think I would have given him a mouthful. 

I think in my branch , where the people who go to the meetings are old school, they are so used to the SNP either being laughed at or being blamed, they are not recognising when its a genuine problem. They are still caught up in the success of the SNP after years  of hitting their heads off a brick wall. 

They think Humza is great and think anyone who took over the job would be criticised. I highlighted how unpopular he was in the public’s eye. They think he will ‘grow into the job’ and that we need to promote more the things he is doing well. They just seem totally ambivalent to this current situation and think it will just blow over. Maybe it will but it’s still going to come at a cost . 

23 hours ago, aaid said:

The SNP candidate got 47.5% of the vote.

Since late 2020 she’s made it clear that she thinks being an MP is beneath her.

That’s going to be a great campaign line “Vote for me as your MP, even though I’d rather be in Holyrood”.

I’m actually struggling to understand why people think she’s such an asset.

Your tunnel vision and bias is incredible. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I think they most definitely are making it worse than it is simply by the fact they are playing up to the police circus. The bottom line is absolutely no one has been arrested, they have been investigating this for 2 years and still have not arrested anyone. So at this stage it should be ‘ nothing to see here’ . 
But the SNP are not helping themselves at all. I think the money has been spent on elections , if it is  I do not know why they just dont say that and take whatever hit comes.  It cant be worse than all this uncertainty. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think they most definitely are making it worse than it is simply by the fact they are playing up to the police circus. The bottom line is absolutely no one has been arrested, they have been investigating this for 2 years and still have not arrested anyone. So at this stage it should be ‘ nothing to see here’ . 
But the SNP are not helping themselves at all. I think the money has been spent on elections , if it is  I do not know why they just dont say that and take whatever hit comes.  It cant be worse than all this uncertainty. 

This article details the last available set of accounts which was published last year.   This was published one year after the police investigation started after the police investigation started.  It shows that the spent £250k of the independence fund that year.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20668792.snp-accounts-published-electoral-commission-show-party-finances/

That's the data that's in the public domain.  Anyone suggesting otherwise is either lying or guessing.

I see Murray Foote is speculating today that he thinks this could end up with no criminality found and no-one being charged.   He draws parallels with the Rangers cases, that's something that I've been thinking as well.