SNP leadership election - Page 110 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

We are going to take a bit of pain in he GE enough pain to clear humza out, get the most competent MP’s who lose their seat to stand in the holyrood elections, KF to lead and clear out all the woke nut jobs, build the snp back up, the sturgeon era has to be eliminated from the party’s history 

At the moment, I would take that. I do feel we're in a position now where we'll have to go backwards to move forwards.

There might well be a few MPs who lose their seats who don't deserve to but like you say, the plus side is some of the better ones will hopefully run for HR in 2026. 

I wonder too how many MPs will continue to support Humza if it looks like their seats are in jeopardy.

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

What the SNP are banking on, as Wishart's tweet shows, is that people will still buy into that message plus the alternative if they dont is a Brexit English Nationalist candidate

That's possibly true, although, in practical terms, does it really matter how many SNP MPs we send down there? 

Some, like my own MP, might be good constituency MPs, but in terms of having any real impact as a party  - particularly in terms of moving Scotland closer to independence - I can't think of them doing very much.

It'll either be a Tory or, as the polls suggest at the moment, a Labour government, and we'll be affected by whatever policies they implement. The only possible practical effect a large block of SNP MPs might have is if there's a hung parliament but that looks unlikely at this point.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

That's possibly true, although, in practical terms, does it really matter how many SNP MPs we send down there? 

Yes because a reduction is used by Unionists as no desire for Independence

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I would agree with much of that although I think the reason there was little interruption is because the presenter and interviewee are probably in mutual agreement about their dislike of NS. 

Couple of other things . There was a question at the end about the Scottish publics opinion of Alex Salmond and Humza Yousaf. On Salmond’s ratings , MacWhirter  simply saying the left dont like him,  then went on at some length to praise him and discuss the  the court case. He made it very obvious who he was blaming. 
He then goes on to annihilate Yousaf’s public ratings and ability .
He may be correct on Yousaf but its a lot more than the left that dont like Salmond. Infact his ratings may be as bad as Yousaf in Scotland. Which is hard for me to say as I rate Salmond highly and would have him back as FM in a shot.

Then, on the Bute House agreement and the SG bowing down to pressure from the Greens. MacWhirter says something like‘ The Greens are a pro independence party . They are going to vote for independence anyway, why give them any power’. 
That is far too simplistic and not entirely true. The Greens are a party that are pro independence but only under their terms. There is no way the SNP would have got their backing on a number of things without giving them something in return. I would say that it was a pretty naive thing to say if it wasn’t someone as experienced as Iain MacWhirter saying it. He knew what he was saying and it is misleading . 
That doesn’t mean I like the direction the Greens are taking the SNP in though. 

These are very good points. I agree with you.

I have to say, I was uncomfortable with Macwhirter's answer to the Humza Yousaf question at the end of the interview.  Macwhirter took a few cheap shots (which I won't repeat here) which were unnecessary. (The poor guy has been in the job for 5 minutes and was dealt a bit of a duff hand. I think the media should cut him a little bit of slack?)

On the other hand, Macwhirter praised both Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond as political heavy weights. I found it refreshing to hear someone praising both, which is pretty rare nowadays. (I think there is some truth to Iain Macwhirter's claim that many in the Indy movement have 'airbrushed'  out Alex Salmond.)

Edited by mcguffin

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If it’s unachievable then tell voters that rather than leading them along just to get votes from nationalists at election time. “Just one more mandate to show Westminster” it’s beyond a joke now. 

You do not have to be Einstein to work out it is unacheivable though. They are a political party that backs independence and to come out and state the obvious would be seen to be rolling up the white flag.

2 hours ago, mcguffin said:

These are very good points. I agree with you.

I have to say, I was uncomfortable with Macwhirter's answer to the Humza Yousaf question at the end of the interview.  Macwhirter took a few cheap shots (which I won't repeat here) which were unnecessary. (The poor guy has been in the job for 5 minutes and was dealt a bit of a duff hand. I think the media should cut him a little bit of slack?)

On the other hand, Macwhirter praised both Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond as political heavy weights. I found it refreshing to hear someone praising both, which is pretty rare nowadays. (I think there is some truth to Iain Macwhirter's claim that many in the Indy movement have 'airbrushed'  out Alex Salmond.)

Yeah, I am not a fan of Humza but he doesn’t deserve the shite he is getting just a moment into the job. Good luck though hoping the media will cut him some slack . They are like vultures. 

Even their greatest critics begrudgingly agree that both  Salmond and Sturgeon are political forces. They would be laughed off the park to suggest otherwise. 

I do agree that Salmond has been airbrushed out, some people have short memories and others easily influenced. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah, I am not a fan of Humza but he doesn’t deserve the shite he is getting just a moment into the job. Good luck though hoping the media will cut him some slack . They are like vultures. 

Even their greatest critics begrudgingly agree that both  Salmond and Sturgeon are political forces. They would be laughed off the park to suggest otherwise. 

I do agree that Salmond has been airbrushed out, some people have short memories and others easily influenced. 

👍I agree on all points.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:22 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

I honestly think we are heading for inhalation in the GE, Dundee seats fine, drew hendry ok, maybe the two Aberdeen seats. Cherry will be fine, the rest are in real,real danger here. We could end up with 15 seats 

It wouldn't surprise me if Cherry decided not to stand again. Given all the crap she's taken and the lack of support from within the party I wouldn't blame her if she went back to her old job. The money is probably as good (if not better) and the job itself, I expect, a lot less stressful.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Cherry decided not to stand again. Given all the crap she's taken and the lack of support from within the party I wouldn't blame her if she went back to her old job. The money is probably as good (if not better) and the job itself, I expect, a lot less stressful.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she wasn’t deselected tbh.

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hearing from whom? The SNP ? 

People who are constituents of hers.  The recent leadership campaign should give you a good idea of how popular she is within the wider party membership.

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

People who are constituents of hers.  The recent leadership campaign should give you a good idea of how popular she is within the wider party membership.

She got 47.5% of the vote at the last GE

It will be the woo woo SNP members that dont like her rather than constituents and these fuckers are the ones that will bring the SNP down 

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It will be the woo woo SNP members that dont like her rather than constituents and these fuckers are the ones that will bring the SNP down 

I agree.

I have a branch meeting tonight. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is discussed about recent events.
I fully expect the usual run down of how much we have in the branch account,  and councillors report,  and nothing else. Both important of course but there seems a total lack of acknowledgement of the crisis. I may need to put on my angry head. 

Edited by TDYER63

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SNP candidate got 47.5% of the vote.

Since late 2020 she’s made it clear that she thinks being an MP is beneath her.

That’s going to be a great campaign line “Vote for me as your MP, even though I’d rather be in Holyrood”.

I’m actually struggling to understand why people think she’s such an asset.

27 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’m actually struggling to understand why people think she’s such an asset.

Bit of a whopper that

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ok then, explain to me why you think she’s an asset - I’m assuming you do.

I'm sure you are aware of the hundreds of videos of Joanna speaking on Independence and other subjects on Youtube

I'm also sure you are aware of how she performs when asked to join political debates on MSM and radio

I'm also sure you are aware how supremely intelligent & knowledgeable she is

I'm also sure you are aware of her legal acumen

I'm also sure you are aware that she is streets ahead of any MP/MSP within the SNP on all of the above

If you don't think that's true because she disagrees that women have cocks then i can't help you

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm sure you are aware of the hundreds of videos of Joanna speaking on Independence and other subjects on Youtube

I'm also sure you are aware of how she performs when asked to join political debates on MSM and radio

I'm also sure you are aware how supremely intelligent & knowledgeable she is

I'm also sure you are aware of her legal acumen

I'm also sure you are aware that she is streets ahead of any MP/MSP within the SNP on all of the above

If you don't think that's true because she disagrees that women have cocks then i can't help you

So you’ve no examples of anything she’s actually done then, sounds like she talks a good game.  

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

So you’ve no examples of anything she’s actually done then, sounds like she talks a good game.  

wow