SNP leadership election - Page 113 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, aaid said:

It’s a bit of fun getting hung up on polls three years out from the next Holyrood election, even the WM election is likely to be 18 months away.

At this point, you have to look at the SNP’s position being down to the ongoing police investigation and the party being pretty much universally portrayed as bankrupt and full of crooks rather than any problems with policies.  The policies that are being quoted as being “unpopular” are all those which the Greens also support and/or are being blamed for yet their share has been increasing consistently over the last few months.  

By 2026 that will all be in the past and either it will have fizzled out with no-one charged or there will be high profile people in the jail.   Either way what is or isn’t true will be in the public domain and to a greater or lesser extent people will have moved on.  No-one can predict what the outcome to opinion that will cause either way.

Yes, that's pretty much the way I see it.  We are in an undeclared war of independence and the British state and media are throwing everything at us right now.  Any pro brexit parties will be exposed to the public as soon as campaigning starts and that will lose them a lot of support.  At the moment, that aspect is being pretty much ignored.  We have enough time before an election to win back voters.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Yes, that's pretty much the way I see it.  We are in an undeclared war of independence and the British state and media are throwing everything at us right now.  Any pro brexit parties will be exposed to the public as soon as campaigning starts and that will lose them a lot of support.  At the moment, that aspect is being pretty much ignored.  We have enough time before an election to win back voters.

Well let’s be honest, the current snp hierarchy are giving committing suicide with suicidal policies all over the place 

11 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Well spit it out then. 

Total bias to Alba that you take no notice of the fact they have gained nothing in the poll but you ignore that and predict they will win six seats as a result whereas you choose to believe the poll saying SNP down 3% is a disaster.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Total bias to Alba that you take no notice of the fact they have gained nothing in the poll but you ignore that and predict they will win six seats as a result whereas you choose to believe the poll saying SNP down 3% is a disaster.

I am a snp member, not alba although I have donated to alba. My bias is for a strong snp, unfortunately that won’t happen until after the next WM election 

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I am a snp member, not alba although I have donated to alba. My bias is for a strong snp, unfortunately that won’t happen until after the next WM election 

You’ve changed your tune on that. You were proudly proclaiming you’d joined Alba as well as the SNP.

Not sure how anyone can believe a word you say. 

9 hours ago, aaid said:

You’ve changed your tune on that. You were proudly proclaiming you’d joined Alba as well as the SNP.

Not sure how anyone can believe a word you say. 

Much of that was to wind the oracle up, you should have seen that a mile away, I am not so naive not to see the benefits of a mother strong indy party. in the words of William Wallace.  “there’s a difference between us “you see the yes movement exists to provide the snp with position, I see them there to do what they can for independence 

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

People might not agree with me, but I don’t make up stories.  

Wow I said I was amember of alba to rile you up 🤣 which it did. Big deal. We even had branch discussions of local snp members that are members of alba 🤣 not saying the two are linked or anything 

17 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Well let’s be honest, the current snp hierarchy are giving committing suicide with suicidal policies all over the place 

GRR has been a disaster, mainly due to the ridiculous self ID nonsense.  The DRS looks like being a disaster although there's a good concept in there somewhere - it's not been thought through properly.  The HPMA proposals look like economic vandalism to me.  These three policies are down to the Greens.  The SNP need to dump them and govern as a minority government if necessary.  If the Greens were to threaten to stop supporting indy, we'd know their true colours, and also their support would plummet.

Although there are several absolutely honking policies in there, there have been some good ones.  The named person scheme, which was dropped, is actually in place under a different name - my missus works in the area of educational safeguarding, and they are doing stuff that they did before the named person proposals were published - they still do the same things; it's just not called "the named person act".

If we had a decent leader, the sNP could push some useful legislation.  Instead we have Yousaf just doing what his predecessor did, nothing original. No imagination, no vision, no plan to get indy.  if they try to win elections in future saying they are going to get us indy, they better have some idea how or they're going to get a bit of a kicking.  The indy movement is not going away; it just needs a route to follow, and a viable route at that.

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

GRR has been a disaster, mainly due to the ridiculous self ID nonsense.  The DRS looks like being a disaster although there's a good concept in there somewhere - it's not been thought through properly.  The HPMA proposals look like economic vandalism to me.  These three policies are down to the Greens.  The SNP need to dump them and govern as a minority government if necessary.  If the Greens were to threaten to stop supporting indy, we'd know their true colours, and also their support would plummet.

Ideologically what exactly is the difference between the SNP and the Greens nowadays?

17 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Ideologically what exactly is the difference between the SNP and the Greens nowadays?

If you look at the text of the Bute House agreement then it’s detailed there.  

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Let’s see how this continues but it looks like Humza is making a good start on his commitment towards transparency within the party.

Whoopy shit

Can we all stop the total crap of attacking political figures for not having a plan on independence.

There is no way, within this union, of getting independence. The only avenue is gettingvpermission from Westminster for a referendum. They repeatedly say no. End of story.

NS wanted to run the next election as a defacto referendum on independence but too many within the party and the public did not want that.

There are no other options.

On 5/14/2023 at 10:01 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Can we all stop the total crap of attacking political figures for not having a plan on independence.

There is no way, within this union, of getting independence. The only avenue is gettingvpermission from Westminster for a referendum. They repeatedly say no. End of story.

NS wanted to run the next election as a defacto referendum on independence but too many within the party and the public did not want that.

There are no other options.

If there is no democratic means to achieve independence, then clearly this is not a voluntary union.  I'd like to see unionist politicians actually being asked how Scotland can regain her independence, and being pressed for an answer rather than letting them waffle their way out of it.  If we are prisoners, then make that clear to the Scottish public at every opportunity.

It would also be good if our pro-indy MPs, instead of playing nice at Westminster, were as disruptive as possible.  No more being good little parliamentarians as Tommy Sheppard said they would be.  if they're not being shown a red card every time they speak, they're wasting their time.  You can't play along by the rules of an abusive partner.  When any unionist politician gets up to speak, they should be heckled to the point where it's impossible for the parliament to function.

I'm off to put a brick through Alister Jack's window.

1 minute ago, Alibi said:

If there is no democratic means to achieve independence, then clearly this is not a voluntary union.  I'd like to see unionist politicians actually being asked how Scotland can regain her independence, and being pressed for an answer rather than letting them waffle their way out of it.  If we are prisoners, then make that clear to the Scottish public at every opportunity.

It would also be good if our pro-indy MPs, instead of playing nice at Westminster, were as disruptive as possible.  No more being good little parliamentarians as Tommy Sheppard said they would be.  if they're not being shown a red card every time they speak, they're wasting their time.  You can't play along by the rules of an abusive partner.  When any unionist politician gets up to speak, they should be heckled to the point where it's impossible for the parliament to function.

I'm off to put a brick through Alister Jack's window.

Yes I agree with much of that but it still isn't going to get us independence.

It is worth doing though to show we won't accept countless fob offs. There are no avenues open to where unionist mp's are grilled over how Scotland can gain independence. Debate shows like Question Time is pro-union so you'd not get allowed to grill them on there and parliament is a sham as I can hear the pro-indy mp's getting shouted down when they try grilling the PM on how Scotland can get independence. No doubt we'd get the same tired line that we're better together.

• 6 months later...

The Murrells' impact on the party is devastating; everything they touched seems tainted. Anticipating the fallout brings no joy, only a sense of disappointment. It might sound extreme, but I've been mourning the state of the party for a while now, acknowledging the damage done. Sadly, I suspect I'm not alone in this sentiment. The upcoming developments are disheartening, and it's a tough pill to swallow for those who've watched the party's decline.

14 minutes ago, Penelope78 said:

The Murrells' impact on the party is devastating; everything they touched seems tainted. Anticipating the fallout brings no joy, only a sense of disappointment. It might sound extreme, but I've been mourning the state of the party for a while now, acknowledging the damage done. Sadly, I suspect I'm not alone in this sentiment. The upcoming developments are disheartening, and it's a tough pill to swallow for those who've watched the party's decline.

I'm sure it didn't all happen by accident.  i'm inclined to think there are folk within the SNP deliberately harming the party, whether by bringing forwards daft legislation that the public hate or by other even more devious means.  maybe some stuff will come to light via the Salmond case.