SNP leadership election - Page 99 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

This scenario is blindingly obvious and even the higher echelons of the SNP will be aware of it too

And that is the crux

If the SNP were a party that had Independence at it's priority the best strategy now would be to announce that after witnessing how the Supreme Court ruled on whether the Scottish Parliament could run an advisory referendum, then while they would like to challenge the GRR ruling it would also likely to be fruitless - therefore the only way to secure the sovereignty of the Scottish Parliament is through Independence.

However the current SNP would rather fight a lost cause on a matter of devolution because what's left of the SNP membership are beholden to the Greens and there is no compromise with Trans Activists

100% this.   I said last year the Greens would bring the SNP down.  It will probably take until the next election.  The damage will set the party back 20 years.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

The SNP are going to lose 20-25 seats at the next General Election.

This shitshow will go on. Humza will be a wet lettuce with arrogance and we are officially Quebec.

Plenty of us warned of this past couple of years and were ridiculed by those who were desperate to defend the SNP leadership at no matter what. The party is now an absolute shambles, accusation after accusation of improper conduct, auditors quitting, financial Black holes, unexplained purchases of 100k+ on a bus that was never used, police raids on the home of the ex first  minister/chief executive. The full party is in turmoil and its all self inflicted. Independence has all been killed off by this lot. They've shown next to no desire for it, it wasn't in their interest. Being big fish in a small pond was and now they've fucked even that. 

This legal battle will see dozens of them lose their jobs. The ordinary Joe bloggs doesn't care if the Scottish parliament is being comprimised. They wlll only see their elected MSPs pushing through a massively unpopular legalisation, one they openly admit the population don't support, purely because they feel aggrieved. It's pointless as it'll take years and the SNP/Greens will lose the next election om back of all this.

Depressing. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

100% this.   I said last year the Greens would bring the SNP down.  It will probably take until the next election.  The damage will set the party back 20 years.

I really find the Greens strategy very strange. The only way they can achieve their 'progressive' policies is through independence yet with every passing day they make independence less likely.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Totally.  Part of the shock here is I more or less believed the heirarchy the finances were ok and this was all trouble making.  Believing the bad press about Cherry.  She was right.   

I mean what is Kirsten Oswald's role as business convenor all about?  Not even raised the auditor issue with the NEC or prospective candidates for goodness sake.  May the accounts are due! how is she still in post?  The way she's been waddling about I imagine her role is making the tea and not asking any questions.

And these people run large the country.  They wouldn't get a penny from me.

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Totally.  Part of the shock here is I more or less believed the heirarchy the finances were ok and this was all trouble making.  Believing the bad press about Cherry.  She was right.   

I mean what is Kirsten Oswald's role as business convenor all about?  Not even raised the auditor issue with the NEC or prospective candidates for goodness sake.  May the accounts are due! how is she still in post?  The way she's been waddling about I imagine her role is making the tea and not asking any questions.

They have a cheek to moan about other political parties lining their own pockets and employing cronies. 

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I was prepared to believe the finances were ok too, lets be honest absolutely no one knew for sure unless they were actually involved. 

I like Joanna Cherry, she is one of very competent MP’s /MSP’s in the party IMO. 
However, if she was so concerned about finances etc, and getting no response, why did she continue in the role? Would it not be better to resign and run as an independent? If I was in a position of trust like that I would hope I would do the right thing. It would also have thrown the spotlight on this long before now. 

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

that’s what happens when dafties get in to run things.  Run by incompetents.

the need good business people who know their arse from their elbow to come in and sort out the mess.

So no fishing, not even angling allowed in these areas, limited vessel access, no anchoring, no leisure activity, no cables being laid. Can someone please explain how a government who were seen and admired for their competence has buckled to this garbage. The repercussions up the west coast and northeast will be gigantic. MacAllan MSP is gonna destroyed over this as the rural secretary 

147009CA-DEAA-4018-A818-2308D5A3F1E5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So no fishing, not even angling allowed in these areas, limited vessel access, no anchoring, no leisure activity, no cables being laid. Can someone please explain how a government who were seen and admired for their competence has buckled to this garbage. The repercussions up the west coast and northeast will be gigantic. MacAllan MSP is gonna destroyed over this as the rural secretary 

147009CA-DEAA-4018-A818-2308D5A3F1E5.jpeg

Green fingerprints all over it. They do give the impression that they only care about some minority groups.

if a court case was to be brought over S35, it should have been on the whole principle of having such a blocking mechanism., not about GRR per se.  Whether these whipped MSPs like it or not, GRR is extremely unpopular with the electorate (it's really mainly the self ID bit that's controversial).  this stupidity by Yousaf will do nothing for indy or for the electoral fortunes of the SNP.  It's as if a wrecking crew have insinuated themselves into the party and are intent on destroying it.

Last night on BBC Scotland they showed a clip of MSPs applauding the gallery when the GRR vote was passed - prominent was that purple haired alleged rapist "Beth" whose relationship with Alex Cole-Hamilton is somewhat strange to say the least. Do any of these compliant MSPs (of all parties) now realise they've been conned.  what appalling judgement they have shown, and now Yousaf is just going to make matters worse.

Never seen such a total fuck up.  I'd love to know what's really behind it.  I'm sure Aaid will be along shortly to tell us everything's hunky dory...

54 minutes ago, Alibi said:

if a court case was to be brought over S35, it should have been on the whole principle of having such a blocking mechanism., not about GRR per se.  Whether these whipped MSPs like it or not, GRR is extremely unpopular with the electorate (it's really mainly the self ID bit that's controversial).  this stupidity by Yousaf will do nothing for indy or for the electoral fortunes of the SNP.  It's as if a wrecking crew have insinuated themselves into the party and are intent on destroying it.

Last night on BBC Scotland they showed a clip of MSPs applauding the gallery when the GRR vote was passed - prominent was that purple haired alleged rapist "Beth" whose relationship with Alex Cole-Hamilton is somewhat strange to say the least. Do any of these compliant MSPs (of all parties) now realise they've been conned.  what appalling judgement they have shown, and now Yousaf is just going to make matters worse.

Never seen such a total fuck up.  I'd love to know what's really behind it.  I'm sure Aaid will be along shortly to tell us everything's hunky dory...

I'm largely in agreement and think a different approach would have been wiser. Having said that one of the tabloid headlines this morning was screaming that the court case might cost £500k.  Must admit that's not really much in the grand scheme of things, certainly not compared to the amount wasted by the current UK Government 

Edited by Hertsscot

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was prepared to believe the finances were ok too, lets be honest absolutely no one knew for sure unless they were actually involved. 

I like Joanna Cherry, she is one of very competent MP’s /MSP’s in the party IMO. 
However, if she was so concerned about finances etc, and getting no response, why did she continue in the role? Would it not be better to resign and run as an independent? If I was in a position of trust like that I would hope I would do the right thing. It would also have thrown the spotlight on this long before now. 

Maybe I'm picking it up wrong but I don't think she did remain in the NEC..she was voted out by cronies that didn't even have the gumption to do their most basic duty of "how's cash doing?".

I don't think going as an independent would have achieved anything.

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I agree that the blocking mechanism should be challenged rather than one bill. 

Doing nothing is not an option IMO else a precedent is set. What happens next time a far more popular bill is blocked , one that has some supposed  ‘affect’ on the UK . They will say ‘ well, you had cross party support and accepted the GRR block without a fight, this is no different so why are you contesting it. ‘
Dont ever expect any  unionist MSP’s to fight our corner if it is something more popular with the public , they will do what their southern counterparts tell them. 

On the other hand, and as mentioned on here, there are no great outcomes for fighting the GRR bill on its own. 
The better strategy is , as you say, to challenge how non transparent 35 is and why it should even be a thing in devolved matters. 

55 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Maybe I'm picking it up wrong but I don't think she did remain in the NEC..she was voted out by cronies that didn't even have the gumption to do their most basic duty of "how's cash doing?".

I don't think going as an independent would have achieved anything.

I was meaning why did she remain in the SNP. 
I think going independent would have sent a very strong message. Maybe not one a lot of SNP supporters would want but if you were getting ‘shouted down and hounded out of office ‘ when questioning the finances then it would have been pretty understandable. 
JC resigning would have had a far greater impact than Ash Regan. 
Btw I am not having a go at Cherry or saying she should have resigned . I am just saying I dont think the finance issue was a clear as some folk are trying to say it was. If it was then I would have thought any credible MP or MSP who had any real knowledge of any wrongdoing would have stepped down . 

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of us warned of this past couple of years and were ridiculed by those who were desperate to defend the SNP leadership at no matter what. The party is now an absolute shambles, accusation after accusation of improper conduct, auditors quitting, financial Black holes, unexplained purchases of 100k+ on a bus that was never used, police raids on the home of the ex first  minister/chief executive. The full party is in turmoil and its all self inflicted. Independence has all been killed off by this lot. They've shown next to no desire for it, it wasn't in their interest. Being big fish in a small pond was and now they've fucked even that. 

This legal battle will see dozens of them lose their jobs. The ordinary Joe bloggs doesn't care if the Scottish parliament is being comprimised. They wlll only see their elected MSPs pushing through a massively unpopular legalisation, one they openly admit the population don't support, purely because they feel aggrieved. It's pointless as it'll take years and the SNP/Greens will lose the next election om back of all this.

Depressing. 

I agree with most of this but there's nae chance what's happening is entirely down to genuine ineptitude. None whatsoever. It's just too convenient. There are more bad actors in that party than an Australian soap opera.

Edited by scotlad

35 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Am I the only one hearing the part is in extremely serious financial trouble?

Nope. Though I am not close to anyone who would know. I would have thought something like that would have filtered out before now , the SNP is not exactly the local builders. The the audit situation is concerning but you need to be careful suggesting something like bankruptcy..

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Nope. Though I am not close to anyone who would know. I would have thought something like that would have filtered out before now , the SNP is not exactly the local builders. The the audit situation is concerning but you need to be careful suggesting something like bankruptcy..

Well it’s definitely doing the rounds

48 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Both the SNP and the Westminster Group don't have auditors at the moment