Indyref 2 (2) - Page 177 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

Posters here want rid of the SNP - fine. The alternative is a Labour government in Holyrood left to put more chains on chances of independence with more bills and legal loopholes to climb through. Still if it gets rid of the nadty DNP then good eh? That is what putting the poison in on the SNP - effectively doing a great campaigning job for the unionist parties.

i am a member of the snp, donate genoerously to the and have canvassedc for them, i dont want rid of the SNP,, if you think that you miss judge my posts,, if the snp continue down this road it is game over,, not because of posters here but because of those running the party just now.. then it will be left up to us who have been warning about the demise of the part to pick up the peices and rebuild while these woke cunts like josh mennie run to the hills

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Oh, in the big thread that got deleted and your witness is the guy who got banned and had the thread deleted for calling me a paedophile, that’s all very convenient, isn’t it.  

It didn’t happen.  It’s just your usual fantasy land bollocks.  

you said it. and you knoe you did, i know it was round about april as i have a PM from someone who couldnt undersatand the outburst 

@hampden_loon2878  I will tell you why I know you’re talking shite.

Firstly as I said before, that is not a term I use, so I know I didn’t call you that.  It’s an Americanism, similarly I don’t use the “Mofo” term. 

Secondly, I’ve been on this board for 20 years and I’ve never had a ban or suspension, not one single day ever.

There is a line and I know where it is.

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

@hampden_loon2878  I will tell you why I know you’re talking shite.

Firstly as I said before, that is not a term I use, so I know I didn’t call you that.  It’s an Americanism, similarly I don’t use the “Mofo” term. 

Secondly, I’ve been on this board for 20 years and I’ve never had a ban or suspension, not one single day ever.

There is a line and I know where it is.

your memory fails you,, you said it or something very similar,, i would be amazed if none of the posters on this thread remember it,, 

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

your memory fails you,, you said it or something very similar,, i would be amazed if none of the posters on this thread remember it,, 

My memory hasn’t failed me.   I see you’re rolling back your story.

Prove it or shut up. 

9 hours ago, slasher said:

Labours pathological hatred of the SNP was their undoing and it’s sad to see the same SNP fall into the same trap with Alba. I well remember standing on the steps of Buchanan galleries chatting to the Labour For Indy guys campaigning ahead of the first referendum. When Joanne Lamont and a group of other Labour activists came along the venom that was spat in their direction was quite something to see. Most of these guys will have joined the SNP in the aftermath but I wonder how many remain. 
Everything is torn asunder now and there will be no indyref2 until all the stakeholders in favour of independence realise they have to come together. Sadly it’s probably going to take an absolute hosing in the polls for any of them to realise that and by then it’ll be too late. The next Tory or even Labour government will likely legislate to dilute power even further and take independence even further away. Depressing!

That sums it up pretty well.

As poor as the current iteration of the SNP is, the party's very existence is still a headache for the British state. It's easy to get angry at some of the dorks in cabinet posts in Scotland, and it's quite understandable that people want them and some of their supercilious MP colleagues in WM to be taken down a peg or three, but looking at the bigger picture the possible alternatives are even worse.

That doesn't mean they should be let off the hook, not at all, but some people should be careful what they wish for. If the party did collapse completely I think it could spell disaster for the Scottish independence movement.

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

That doesn't mean they should be let off the hook, not at all, but some people should be careful what they wish for. If the party did collapse completely I think it could spell disaster for the Scottish independence movement.

Precisely. As long as people carry on putting the poison in then there is an increased chance of what you say happening. Voters are influenced in many ways INCLUDING social media.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, aaid said:

No it’s not.  You need to watch the whole movie interview and then think about which hypothetical set of circumstances that would have to come about to make it happen.  

The SNP have always had the point of view of “put independence to one side and work with us”.

You clearly have a problem with the Greens and blame them the SNP polling going down.   Where is that vote going?   Some is going to Labour - soft Indy types - some is going to the Greens - typically younger people - some is going to don’t know.  Very little is going to Alba.  How does casting off the greens help the SNP.

I was listening to it on the radio while driving down to Hull to meet my new grandson.  I heard the whole interview loud and clear before Radio Scotland faded away around Barnard Castle (at which point i came to the conclusion that my eyesight was fine).  Slater was quite clear that if Labour needed a leg up, their hatred of indy was not a problem - or a red line as she put it.  Prior to that, I thought she put her points across well, and I could agree with her on certain matters.  However the final answer about indy absolutely not bring a red line was quite clear.  The Greens are political hoors and have wheedled their way into a position of power that their vote share doesn't merit.  They have harmed the SNP by association.  Time to end the charade, although I doubt Yousaf has the balls.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, aaid said:

Maybe I have a different view because while I don’t agree with everything, there’s enough in there prospectus that means I can vote for them and do because they’re the closest - available - choice to my political beliefs.

I agree with you on that.  If you want indy, at the moment there is no other viable option but the SNP.  I will continue to vote for them for now, albeit I haven't yet renewed my membership and I have zero interest in getting involved with routine branch meetings.  Do I think they are perfect?  No, far from it, but all the alternatives are of no interest to me.  I am not hostile to Alba, but for now they are not really gaining traction.  I would never vote for any unionist party, and in my view that probably now includes the Greens.  I get the impression that the wokerati wing of the SNP aren't that bothered about indy either, but are just using it as a vehicle to push through some virtue signalling policies, ignoring the electoral harm that is fomenting.

23 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I agree with you on that.  If you want indy, at the moment there is no other viable option but the SNP.  I will continue to vote for them for now, albeit I haven't yet renewed my membership and I have zero interest in getting involved with routine branch meetings.  Do I think they are perfect?  No, far from it, but all the alternatives are of no interest to me.  I am not hostile to Alba, but for now they are not really gaining traction.  I would never vote for any unionist party, and in my view that probably now includes the Greens.  I get the impression that the wokerati wing of the SNP aren't that bothered about indy either, but are just using it as a vehicle to push through some virtue signalling policies, ignoring the electoral harm that is fomenting.

I think we have to agree to disagree on the subject of the Greens.   If I take you at your word that the “wokerati” wing of the SNP aren’t interested in independence then I’d also say the same thing about the “anti-wokerati” wing of the Indy movement. They *both* expand more effort talking about that, specifically GRR, and attacking the other side than they do about Indy, if that’s your measure.  The prime example is Joanna Cherry.

I see Alba have launched their Indy strategy, it looks very similar to the SNP’s one with the - defeated - Pete Wishart one about votes.

Their “Scotland United” pitch on one hand looks attractive but there is one fundamental problem with it, they’ve not shown that they are capable of winning a seat, in fact given that they’ve lost every single seat they have, they’re stone cold election losers.

Edited by aaid

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Their “Scotland United” pitch on one hand looks attractive but there is one fundamental problem with it, they’ve not shown that they are capable of winning a seat, in fact given that they’ve lost every single seat they have, they’re stone cold election losers.

But that's not how a Scotland United approach would work

The vast majority of candidates would be SNP - Salmond has already said that

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

But that's not how a Scotland United approach would work

The vast majority of candidates would be SNP - Salmond has already said that

Who would be the others?  Alba who’ve shown themselves incapable of getting *anyone* elected?

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Who would be the others?  Alba who’ve shown themselves incapable of getting *anyone* elected?

But what currency would you use  ?

See how that works ?

I like the Scotland Yes approach but it needed to be set up a long time ago for it to catch on as a real agenda item of the next election.  Mechanics of it need work.  

SNP aren't going to get 50-60% of the vote any time soon even though half the country are independence supporters so there is something wrong there.

They're now a run of the mill party with policy problems, not a movement.  A party will settle in to compete on who has 15-40 seats out of 60, but it won't break a state.  

SNP badge minimises the indy vote, a purely pro-independence movement will be needed.  Countless people voted yes in 2014 that wouldn't have done if it was the SNP on the ballot.  If that's unlikely to happen then so is independence.  Only other option is another Salmond/Sturgeon takes the reigns.  But they had a united movement at their back to go along with their abilities.

it's not over but the SNP being unpopular at a time when independence is popular is unfortunate.  We should have really seen it coming.

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

How about you answer the question?  You can’t and that shows you how dishonest it is.

There are 59 seats to fight and the SNP currently have 42 (since Labour took Rutherglen)

SNP stand 50 candidates and the remaining 9 come from ALBA, The Greens and ISP

Something like that

But what currency would you use ?

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There are 59 seats to fight and the SNP currently have 42 (since Labour took Rutherglen)

SNP stand 50 candidates and the remaining 9 come from ALBA, The Greens and ISP

Something like that

But what currency would you use ?

57, I think?