Indyref 2 (2) - Page 151 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye i see that with the amount of activists going round Rutherglen and Hamilton West and Labour being odds of 1/16 to win it

And if Labour get in they'll not be able to bring about radical changes. Indeed their candidate if elected, in spite of what he has said about the two child benefit clause, EU etc. will have to do exactly what he's told by his bosses in London.

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If independence is to be one, people have to change their minds, in case you missed it we lost the last fight.

That's all well and good but if you are banking on Kezia Dugdale to be a beacon for the undecided then more fool you.

Remember this is the cunt that told people to vote Tory to keep the SNP out in certain seats ?

Tell you what - If Kezia goes around Rutherglen & Hamilton West announcing her epiphany to the electorate i'll apologise (and eat my slippers)

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

That's all well and good but if you are banking on Kezia Dugdale to be a beacon for the undecided then more fool you.

Remember this is the cunt that told people to vote Tory to keep the SNP out in certain seats ?

Tell you what - If Kezia goes around Rutherglen & Hamilton West announcing her epiphany to the electorate i'll apologise (and eat my slippers)

Not in one single post did I come close to saying dugdale is a beacon for the undecided. 

I'm with Ally on this one. I wouldn't trust Dugdale as far as I could throw her. That her da was a supporter of independence means nothing - my own faither was as strong a unionist as you'll meet - and the fact her wife is an SNP government minister is, for me, just symptomatic of how deeply professional politicians really care about the policies they publicly espouse. 

She was "Scottish Labour" leader for, I think, three years, and during that time was as orthodox and ridgid on the constitution as anyone in that position before or since. She was in post when her party slipped from second to third largest party in HR. I might have a bit more time for her if, at the time, she'd even hinted that her party should consider softening its stance on the constitution, but she didn't.

(Labour probably now think that was right approach, since they've now made up some ground on the SNP)

Where the current "Scottish Labour" leadership are showing signs of "changing their mind", though, is on GRR:

https://archive.ph/2oawH

(By "changing their mind" I mean doing what they're telt by their bosses down south)

Reading through the annual conference provisional agenda and Holly shit, the party is well and truly fucked,, there is no self awareness in some branches to the public perception on various policies, make no mistake, the party has well and truly been compromised and the only way to save the party is through and absolute drubbing in the by election that will send the “real members” into panic mode,, 

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Reading through the annual conference provisional agenda and Holly shit, the party is well and truly fucked,, there is no self awareness in some branches to the public perception on various policies, make no mistake, the party has well and truly been compromised and the only way to save the party is through and absolute drubbing in the by election that will send the “real members” into panic mode,, 

That was my thoughts after attending a local branch meeting a few months ago.  They were just going through the motions, reporting on branch membership numbers, all the usual utterly tedious trivia about which nobody gives a fuck, stuff about town centre market stalls handing out leaflets (it's not the 1970s any more).  After NS resigned, they invited folk to come along and sign a grovelling thank you card.  Oh, and Alex Salmond was officially persona non grata.  I haven't been back since.

13 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the only way to save the party is through and absolute drubbing in the by election that will send the “real members” into panic mode,, 

...and which could send the majority of members, who only joined as the SNP is only route to independence, to say ach fuck this, I give up bothering anymore.

49 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Ex-Daily Record editor Murray Foote has apparently been appointed as the new Chief Executive of the SNP.

I thought giving him the Chief of Comms job was pushing it, but fuck me...😳 

Arch unionist to be saviour of the SNP. 🤣

HL is probably on his way to casualty as we speak. This might be enough for him to burst a blood-vessel.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

HL is probably on his way to casualty as we speak. This might be enough for him to burst a blood-vessel.

Foote should be nowhere near the CEO position.  You could maybe argue a case if the leadership had been someone fresh rather than the continuity clown, but this is taking the piss.  What next?  Douglas Ross at comms and Anas Sarwar in charge of organising the next conference?

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Ex-Daily Record editor Murray Foote has apparently been appointed as the new Chief Executive of the SNP.

I thought giving him the Chief of Comms job was pushing it, but fuck me...😳 

Even if he has done a complete Uturn and is indeed an avid supporter of independence, how desperate does it look to give him the job after the membership numbers fiasco and him standing down . Its an open goal for the opposition.

Kirsten Oswald said something like he was the stand out candidate in a solid list. I hate to think what the rest were like . This is a problem for the SNP , it’s difficult to get good job candidates in most places when things are not going well . 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

😄

I'm surprised we haven't had our standard lecture from Aaid yet about how there's nothing to see here and everyone's just overreacting. Mibee his Baghdad Bob battle fatigues are at the dry cleaners.  😉

Aaid will be along to tell us, like Stewart McDonald, how it's a great move

On the anniversary of William Wallace's murder as well

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Even if he has done a complete Uturn and is indeed an avid supporter of independence, how desperate does it look to give him the job after the membership numbers fiasco and him standing down . Its an open goal for the opposition.

Kirsten Oswald said something like he was the stand out candidate in a solid list. I hate to think what the rest were like . This is a problem for the SNP , it’s difficult to get good job candidates in most places when things are not going well . 

I know - talk about failing upwards! Even if he'd been a longstanding diehard independence supporter (rather than the author of 'The Vow') it would have been embarrassing enough to appoint him in that role after the membership figures debacle.

Kirsten Oswald is someone else who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw, although, in fairness, Chief Exec of the SNP isn't quite as attractive a post now as it was a few years ago, like you say.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I know - talk about failing upwards! Even if he'd been a longstanding diehard independence supporter (rather than the author of 'The Vow') it would have been embarrassing enough to appoint him in that role after the membership figures debacle.

Kirsten Oswald is someone else who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw, although, in fairness, Chief Exec of the SNP isn't quite as attractive a post now as it was a few years ago, like you say.

Its like when Scotland were trying to get a decent football manager for years when we were honkin . Nobody of any calibre was the least bit interested in the job. 

I do not like mocking the situation as I still see the SNP as the only vehicle to independence but I really cant see what ‘pluses’ he brings. 

What do people think the role of CEO of a political party does?

How many other CEOs of political parties can people name to compare him to?

Ive no idea whether or not Murray Foote is a suitable candidate or not because I don’t know the answer to those questions.

At least, though I’m prepared to admit that and not just go with my prejudices like some. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Ive no idea whether or not Murray Foote is a suitable candidate or not because I don’t know the answer to those questions.

At least, though I’m prepared to admit that and not just go with my prejudices like some. 

It's the optics man !

And prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

unbelievable, if anyone was in doubt to how much trouble the party is in, then there surely cant be any now. time to take a step back, rid the party of this infestation, completely distance ourselves from the last few years of sabotage and rebuild,, the support will come rushing back as long as we don't wait too long.. It really is make or break time,,, this byelection will have massive implications that goes deeper than most can appreciate.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Not sure if you're serious or not.

He was the author of one of the most powerful tools the No campaign had in the run in to referendum. 

I don't think any of us need to be privy to how suitable his credentials are for the job. I do know he was caught out in his previous role within the SNP. 

Makes sense to let him get a promotion. Wlll fit right in. Nobody else within the snp has any urgency for independence, might as well appoint Ruth Davidson as communication officer.

16 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not sure if you're serious or not.

He was the author of one of the most powerful tools the No campaign had in the run in to referendum. 

I don't think any of us need to be privy to how suitable his credentials are for the job. I do know he was caught out in his previous role within the SNP. 

Makes sense to let him get a promotion. Wlll fit right in. Nobody else within the snp has any urgency for independence, might as well appoint Ruth Davidson as communication officer.

Agree, amazing stuff this.  only really came on to read the knee jerk case for the defence 😃 hasn't disappointed.

When it really mattered, Murray Foote went out his way to provide a boost to the No campaign in panic stations.  Some way to bring back much needed trust.  Must have been a shallow pool of candidates!

an £800k loss too with no big election to run, I see.  Was Foote telling Russell et al to advise the ring-fenced money wasn't missing?  Or is that all on Murrell?  I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.  

to all intents, im passed caring.  It's too far gone.  What will be, will be. 

its gone past the told you so stage, its absolutely infuriating that members had/have been so easily manipulated. Their hope for and ambitions for and independent Scotland have been used against them, their guard was down and the murrels took full advantage of that, it should never ever be forgotten what they have done. Anyone with any doubt about whether salmond was set up needs needs to take a step back and ask themselves,  would he ever have allowed the party to spiral out of control like this? never in a million years, if the character assassinations' hadn't taken place, he would be party leader once more. Those sturgeon cheerleader's are every bit as bad, shutting down any concerned voices,  i seriously don't know how we recover from this

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i seriously don't know how we recover from this

I think we will know more after the result of the Rutherglen & Hamilton West by Election

Putting all the Independence eggs in one party's basket was always going to be tough after so many years of them holding power

I'm more concerned about how Independence is obtained if the SNP become un-electable

There is a whole load of dead wood and freeloaders that need to be ousted

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think we will know more after the result of the Rutherglen & Hamilton West by Election

Putting all the Independence eggs in one party's basket was always going to be tough after so many years of them holding power

I'm more concerned about how Independence is obtained if the SNP become un-electable

There is a whole load of dead wood and freeloaders that need to be ousted

media saying its neck and neck in Rutherglen, however i am hearing differently 

36 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

media saying its neck and neck in Rutherglen, however i am hearing differently 

Unionist media

Bookies are rarely wrong