Indyref 2 (2) - Page 148 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

6 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Black is (a) young and (b) a lesbian; thus she is above reproach. Nope.

Black is (a) an elected MP and (b) talking inflammatory, accusatory, ageist nonsense; thus criticism is warranted. Yep.

She's not immune from criticism, however being criticised by middle aged men is mansplaining in the extreme and being criticised by people who 5 minutes earlier have been saying "don't criticised the SNP" is hypocritical.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

She's not immune from criticism, however being criticised by middle aged men is mansplaining in the extreme and being criticised by people who 5 minutes earlier have been saying "don't criticised the SNP" is hypocritical.

Fighting between Indy Supporters is what has to stop and is one thing

Criticism of the SNP is another 

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

But what's this "mansplaining" pish? It's not a real thing. If a man is being condescending to a woman, call it out for the patronising, arrogant pish it is. But to give it a generalising, made-up name that means a person who happens to be a man cannot ever criticise a person who happens to be a woman? What is this nonsense? But I'm 51, a man, a married man - Black probably thinks my opinion is worth shit.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Black is (a) young and (b) a lesbian; thus she is above reproach. Nope.

Black is (a) an elected MP and (b) talking inflammatory, accusatory, ageist nonsense; thus criticism is warranted. Yep.

have to say anyone using Karen as an insult is a self-identified moron.  whatever their identity or background, deserves ridicule.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

But what's this "mansplaining" pish? It's not a real thing. If a man is being condescending to a woman, call it out for the patronising, arrogant pish it is. But to give it a generalising, made-up name that means a person who happens to be a man cannot ever criticise a person who happens to be a woman? What is this nonsense? But I'm 51, a man, a married man - Black probably thinks my opinion is worth shit.

Words like mansplaining are usually used by women who don't like what the man has to say. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

There's an argument to be made about mansplaining but this... makes no sense.

Mhairi Black cannot be criticised by middle aged men.  jeezy peeps as the say haha.. just wondering will she take their votes though and represent them?  Is that to be done in silence?

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

An aaid and NuSNP buzz word 

ian blackford really has been one of the biggest disappointments in the SNP,, He has been absoloutly useless, he couldnt keep the Westminster group united and now when he is in for a battle with his seat he jumps ship,, then has the hard neck to come out and support the bute house agreement 

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

But what's this "mansplaining" pish? It's not a real thing. If a man is being condescending to a woman, call it out for the patronising, arrogant pish it is. 

Coming from Paisley, like myself, I imagine Mhairi Black is more of a  ‘ fuck off ya condescending prick ‘ kinda person. 

There is no doubt she  has achieved more in her short life than many will achieve in a lifetime, but I have never been convinced that frontline politics at this level suits her. She has pretty strong opinions and I sometimes feel she says exactly what she feels without realising the position she now holds and the consequences .  Whilst her enthusiasm and openness is refreshing , she often goes too far and can be a bit naive . 

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Words like mansplaining are usually used by women who don't like what the man has to say. 

It happens in Academia all the time as well though. My friend is one of the worlds expert on a certain type of Civil Engineering and the amount of times she has some old dude trying to explain her expertise to her is crazy. When she was working while pregnant she said it was crazy as well.

We don't experience it so easy to miss it. Now obviously it becomes an effective defense to just shout it out , but it is effective cause it happens all the time as well.

My favourite mainsplaining one is this , then the unaware mansplaining comments underneath it as well.

1 hour ago, phart said:

It happens in Academia all the time as well though. My friend is one of the worlds expert on a certain type of Civil Engineering and the amount of times she has some old dude trying to explain her expertise to her is crazy. When she was working while pregnant she said it was crazy as well.

We don't experience it so easy to miss it. Now obviously it becomes an effective defense to just shout it out , but it is effective cause it happens all the time as well.

My favourite mainsplaining one is this , then the unaware mansplaining comments underneath it as well.

Maybe the man in question is a condescending wank to everyone? 

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Maybe the man in question is a condescending wank to everyone? 

Such people usually are - I know I've met a few.

That said, some of the most arrogant, condescending wanks I've ever encountered have been female, some of whom have adopted the term 'mansplaining' to shut-down anyone who disagrees with them, no matter how politely or respectfully.

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That said, some of the most arrogant, condescending wanks I've ever encountered have been female, some of whom have adopted the term 'mansplaining' to shut-down anyone who disagrees with them, no matter how politely or respectfully.

That is true, doesn’t mean that mansplaining isn’t a thing though. 

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can somebody "mansplain" to another man or does there have to be a woman getting it done to them, for it to be "mansplaining"? 

The key thing about mansplaining is that it’s where a man tries to “explain” something to a women - who is generally eminently more knowledgable or qualified than he is - and does so with a confidence based solely on being a man he so knows more about the subject than woman.

Men frequently argue with other men about things they know nothing about - this forum is a prime example - but it’s not the same thing as it comes from a different place.  

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can somebody "mansplain" to another man or does there have to be a woman getting it done to them, for it to be "mansplaining"? 

and whats it called when a woman tries to explain something to a man more qualified than her.......................... or does that not happen

31 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Such people usually are - I know I've met a few.

Same here

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

and whats it called when a woman tries to explain something to a man more qualified than her.......................... or does that not happen

Women who do that are referred to as “Karens” which gets us back to where we started.  

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Women who do that are referred to as “Karens” which gets us back to where we started.  

I don't think that's what is meant by a "Karen" at all.  I always interpreted it as a sort of generic insulting term.  It's one of those words that has become fashionable, much like "gaslighting", the meaning of which is often distorted - and don't get me started on when it's used as a verb and someone says he "gaslighted her" when to my ears it should be "he gaslit her".  But when so many people say things like "I have went" and "I done", I would expect nothing less.

12 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I don't think that's what is meant by a "Karen" at all.  I always interpreted it as a sort of generic insulting term.  It's one of those words that has become fashionable, much like "gaslighting", the meaning of which is often distorted - and don't get me started on when it's used as a verb and someone says he "gaslighted her" when to my ears it should be "he gaslit her".  But when so many people say things like "I have went" and "I done", I would expect nothing less.

I thought a ‘ Karen’  meant someone of a certain age that is a bit dull and set in their ways. No idea why but that is what I thought it meant.
 I had never even heard of mansplaining till it was mentioned on here.

I do so sometimes get my tenses mixed up I will need to be more careful! 😊

21 minutes ago, Alibi said:

He knows this - he is just playing the Humza "I don't know what that really means" part

Still zero criticism of what Mhairi Black actually said though

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I think that's fairly offensive to Karens all over the world. Not all Karens are like that. In fact I can't think of any. Have they invented the word "Karenist" yet?

Maybe "Kay" would be a better name for them? I can think of at least two of them.