Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

5 hours ago, fringo said:

Brilliant result for Japan. And qualified top of a group which contained Spain & Germany.

Great result for Japan, I didn't see it but guessing Spain were very much of the chilled out as more or less guaranteed qualification

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Kirk said:

Great result for Japan, I didn't see it but guessing Spain were very much of the chilled out as more or less guaranteed qualification

Not at all! Spain were out at one point midway through the second half when Costa Rica went 2-1 up. Japan were excellent. 
The last two nights have certainly been pretty dramatic - watching two TVs at the same time while checking permutations hasn’t been easy!

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Really enjoying this group stage of the world cup. Some great football and drama on the field for a change. 

I agree. For the Group E final games, I watched Costa Rica vs Germany. Two very good teams in a great game. Astonishing that neither of them have progressed (what a group!). Germany in the last 20 mins, when they simply had no choice but to attack were particularly impressive (best I've seen Kai Havertz play. Now I think I see what all the fuss was about a few years ago?) 

Don't think many teams will fancy playing Japan in later rounds?

6 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Not at all! Spain were out at one point midway through the second half when Costa Rica went 2-1 up. Japan were excellent. 
The last two nights have certainly been pretty dramatic - watching two TVs at the same time while checking permutations hasn’t been easy!

I agree with that for almost all of the game but as soon as Germany went ahead late on, you could tell that Spain weren't too fussed about whether they could get an equalizer or not. They had clearly worked out all the ins and out of all the permutations. Something which the commentators clearly didn't do. Spain will now be quite happy to be playing Morocco instead of Croatia. 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Ghana miss another penalty against U are gay, wonder who they’ll blame this time. South America really do excel in producing the footballing cunt of the non apologetic verity

Should never have been a penalty in the first place. If that's a penalty the games fucked. It all about who is best at falling down.

14 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Oh i didnt realise that, I was out so didnt really have any idea how the games panned out.

Your wee mans team were awful the other night, lucky to get through in the end.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Should never have been a penalty in the first place. If that's a penalty the games fucked. It all about who is best at falling down.

Agree, total dive. VAR has been pretty terrible at times again. Same with the Messi penalty the other night, utter pish

37 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

FIFA’s proposals for the 2026 World Cup beggar belief. They’d change the shape of the ball if they could guarantee more money from it. 

aye absolutely honkin

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Oh i didnt realise that, I was out so didnt really have any idea how the games panned out.

Your wee mans team were awful the other night, lucky to get through in the end.

Agree, total dive. VAR has been pretty terrible at times again. Same with the Messi penalty the other night, utter pish

Yup, they were utter shite to be honest. Lewandowski was about 20/30 yards from any support. Skin of their teeth stuff. However they’re through. 
Was pissed off at their defensive performance as selfishly I really wanted them to win the group as we’re in Krakow now and watching their next game here on Saturday night would’ve been good (v Australia). 
However they’ve now got France on Sunday and we’re away to Zakopane for the day so dunno if we’ll even see it 🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Yup, they were utter shite to be honest. Lewandowski was about 20/30 yards from any support. Skin of their teeth stuff. However they’re through. 
Was pissed off at their defensive performance as selfishly I really wanted them to win the group as we’re in Krakow now and watching their next game here on Saturday night would’ve been good (v Australia). 
However they’ve now got France on Sunday and we’re away to Zakopane for the day so dunno if we’ll even see it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aye they were just playing to get through which almost backfired on them.
Aww that would have been brilliant too. You canny miss the game when youre over there, atmosphere should be brilliant

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Aye they were just playing to get through which almost backfired on them.
Aww that would have been brilliant too. You canny miss the game when youre over there, atmosphere should be brilliant

I know, but it’s one of these trips with a set itinerary. Supposed to visit some daft thermal baths half way up the Tatra mountains when the game kicks off. If possible, that’ll be dingied if there’s a bar/screen nearby 😆

30 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I know, but it’s one of these trips with a set itinerary. Supposed to visit some daft thermal baths half way up the Tatra mountains when the game kicks off. If possible, that’ll be dingied if there’s a bar/screen nearby 😆

That does sound decent to be fair, and if Poland play like they did the other night you may be aswell missing it haha

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What the fuck does this have to do with the Quatar World Cup ? Had to get your dig in eh?? Some folk, media just want to crucify LG. Sad world we live in....

Usually I would apologise to anyone else for posting on the wrong thread, this was a genuine mistake. I won't apologise to you though because of your reaction to my post.

20 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Imagine that may put the brakes on the signing for Morton story. If it there was any truth in it to begin with 

I am guessing so, I posted this in the wrong thread, was meant to be in the season 22/23 thread. He is finished now IMO. 

12 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

FIFA’s proposals for the 2026 World Cup beggar belief. They’d change the shape of the ball if they could guarantee more money from it. 

The proposed format is dreadful. Look how exciting the simultaneous final group games were. They plan to do away with that drama completely. 

50 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The proposed format is dreadful. Look how exciting the simultaneous final group games were. They plan to do away with that drama completely. 

Agreed.

And it opens up the clear likelihood of the final group fixture in each group being a match where a draw suits both teams and the third team helpless to watch two teams playing out a tame 0-0 draw for both teams to go through.

52 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I see they are considering a U-Turn on the 3 team group bollocks.