U21s - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No Lennon Miller or David Watson in the U21s. 

Probably for the best given who the manager is and how hopeless he is but no idea how these two lads can't get in the 21s when you see the squad. 

Aye they are by far the most impressive under 21 players in the league

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No Lennon Miller or David Watson in the U21s. 

Probably for the best given who the manager is and how hopeless he is but no idea how these two lads can't get in the 21s when you see the squad

Will give you Lennon Miller is a glaring omission 

When you see the Squad ‘  that’s being disrespectful to the lads that have been called up IMO 

Goalkeepers - Vincent Angelini (Brentford), Jack Newman (Dundee United), Cieran Slicker (Ipswich Town).

Defenders - Matthew Anderson (Admira Wacker, on loan from Celtic), Ibane Bowat (Hartberg, on loan from Fulham), Adam Devine (Motherwell, on loan from Rangers), Josh Doig (Sassuolo), Max Johnston (Sturm Graz), Ben McPherson (Queen's Park, on from Celtic), Liam Morrison (Wigan, on loan from Bayern Munich), Lewis Neilson (Partick Thistle, on loan from Hearts).

Midfielders - Connor Barron (Aberdeen), Lyall Cameron (Dundee), Leon King (Rangers), Aidan Denholm (Hearts), Lewis Fiorini (Charlton, on loan from Manchester City), Kai Fotheringham (Dundee United), Josh Mulligan (Dundee).

Forwards - Kieron Bowie (Northampton, on loan from Fulham), Tommy Conway (Bristol City), Dire Mebude (Bristol City, on loan from Westerlo), Michael Mellon (Dundee, on loan from Burnley) 

The lads highlighted are fantastic players and yes Gemmill makes strange selections! 
Granted - Doak out injured 

But you can also ask the question where is - Emilio Lawrence, Rory Wilson, Kerr Smith, Louis Jackson
These lads need to be accelerated through the age groups! We are terrible for this IMO

I think there also needs to be some thought given to the chance of actually progressing to a tournament. I don't see much hope for the U21s to progress but the U19s have a chance. The 19s haven't progressed past the elite round since 2006 and have a decent chance to do so this time. That would put them into the top 8 sides in Europe at the age-group, and as we saw with the 2006 group only a couple of good performances from a major youth football final. Playing in a tournament like that at U19 level has more value in my opinion than the U21 qualifiers.

19 hours ago, broraboy said:

Will give you Lennon Miller is a glaring omission 

David Watson is too. Just turned 19 the other week. Played over 2500 first team minutes this season and not even in the U21s. Yet boys who can't get a sniff of first team action are in. 

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

Is Rory Wilson in neither the u19s or the u21s?  Isn’t that a bit odd?  Injured?

Rory Wilson was in an under 21 squad a year or so ago, but then was quickly dropped back down to the u17s (I think). I'm wondering if the expectations put on him were a bit too high. That's not to say he isn't good enough, just that, like most teenagers, he wasn't ready.

He seems to be a big talent, but I think he can maybe be put in a similar bracket to Barry Hepburn. Tons of potential but no guarantees he'll make it.

Doak is a different story. He's already rubbing shoulders with elite senior players. Assuming his injury isn't too severe, he'll be back in the frame soon enough.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Rory Wilson was in an under 21 squad a year or so ago, but then was quickly dropped back down to the u17s (I think). I'm wondering if the expectations put on him were a bit too high. That's not to say he isn't good enough, just that, like most teenagers, he wasn't ready.

He seems to be a big talent, but I think he can maybe be put in a similar bracket to Barry Hepburn. Tons of potential but no guarantees he'll make it.

Doak is a different story. He's already rubbing shoulders with elite senior players. Assuming his injury isn't too severe, he'll be back in the frame soon enough.

He’s been in the under 19s, played seven games since September and scored a couple of goals, after scoring 14 in 13 games for the u17s.  He’s also on more than a goal a game for Villa under 18s this season.  Just seems odd he’s not included - assuming he’s fit. 

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

He’s been in the under 19s, played seven games since September and scored a couple of goals, after scoring 14 in 13 games for the u17s.  He’s also on more than a goal a game for Villa under 18s this season.  Just seems odd he’s not included - assuming he’s fit. 

I agree. It seems like he's probably ready now. But maybe wasn't a year ago.

Lennon Miller is a ridiculous one. He is playing in the SPFL against seasoned professionals. Obviously he'll be fine in the u21s.

32 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree. It seems like he's probably ready now. But maybe wasn't a year ago.

Lennon Miller is a ridiculous one. He is playing in the SPFL against seasoned professionals. Obviously he'll be fine in the u21s.

My question was, why has Rory Wilson not been included in the under 19s or the under 21s, not specifically the older team. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-mens-under-19s-squad-finalised-for-elite-round-in-italy/?rid=13925https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-mens-under-19s-squad-finalised-for-elite-round-in-italy/?rid=13925

I dont know what you 2 are looking at but he is in the under 19 Sqaud for the elite round.

Dont have a problem with likes of Miller, Wilson and Watson in that sqaud as there in with a chance of qualifying for the first time since 2006 and it a under 20 world cup year . The whole group would benefit a lot more if they manised it rather than a few of them being away with the under 21.

Edited by bookerman

2 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

He's in the u/17s squad for their euros elite round qualifiers

56 minutes ago, bookerman said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-mens-under-19s-squad-finalised-for-elite-round-in-italy/?rid=13925https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-mens-under-19s-squad-finalised-for-elite-round-in-italy/?rid=13925

I dont know what you 2 are looking at but he is in the under 19 Sqaud for the elite round.

Dont have a problem with likes of Miller, Wilson and Watson in that sqaud as there in with a chance of qualifying for the first time since 2006 and it a under 20 world cup year . The whole group would benefit a lot more if they manised it rather than a few of them being away with the under 21.

Nice one. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Fotheringham and Mulligan withdraw and still no Karamoko Dembele 😭

Do we know if he's even interested in playing for us but?

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Do we know if he's even interested in playing for us but?

Don’t see why not. He was brought up here and played for our previous youth teams. Isn’t going to be called up by England. Described Scotland as ‘home’ in an interview the other day. 

Suppose playing for the African champions is pretty appealing but not any time soon I’d imagine. 

Bit weird that we called up than random league 2 Irish under 21 player who didn’t want to play for us but not Dembele. 

58 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Don’t see why not. He was brought up here and played for our previous youth teams. Isn’t going to be called up by England. Described Scotland as ‘home’ in an interview the other day. 

Suppose playing for the African champions is pretty appealing but not any time soon I’d imagine. 

Bit weird that we called up than random league 2 Irish under 21 player who didn’t want to play for us but not Dembele. 

Everything is weird in the world of Gemmill 🤣

Just to be clear, I've no objection to him playing for Scotland if he wants to; he's a good player, if a little on the wee side. He's not getting near the England squad at any level as things go and frankly he's more right to be playing for us than them.

I hadn't seen any quotes from him to suggest Scotland was his preference but if he considers Scotland as home (and why shouldn't he?) then that's a good sign.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

The u19s play Italy today in an u19 Elite Round qualifier. Wilson, Bavidge and One is a pretty exciting selection of strikers to choose from. 

Cue a 4-0 thrashing and one shot on target! 

1 hour ago, todd said:

Cue a 4-0 thrashing and one shot on target! 

With one attacking tactic of sporadically lumping the ball forward to the big lad up front, who's actually no bigger than their big lads at the back, meaning we immediately lose possession and they go onto run rings around us for minutes at a time!

Now 3-1. We've been not great in this game. Individually alright but collectively a bit too far apart from each other and the odd bad decision on the ball. Also poor use of subs, they're quite clearly blowing out their arses in last 15 minutes.

Italy haven't been great either. 

Edited by er yir macaroon